July 07, 2024, 09:52:39 PM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Boyah Trading Card Game

Started by Daddy, July 28, 2009, 08:19:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Geno

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 28, 2009, 08:51:32 PM
Why are you so cynical?
Because the same thing happened with the Aracde
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Samus Aran

Quote from: Geno on July 28, 2009, 09:36:49 PM
Because the same thing happened with the Aracde

i will fucking beat that air sk8ing score one day

you'll see

Kalahari Inkantation

of course n_u
just as long as UNLEASH THE BEAST is a card giggle;

Hiro

Here's an idea:
Make sure they're trading cards and not battle cards, meaning there's no fighting system or anything between them, the cards would only be collectors items. However, we still need to be able to trade cards.
Make sure there are lots and lot of different cards, all of varying levels of rarity.

Also, make good use of our luts by selling different packs:
Starter Deck:10 common cards + 2 rare
Booster Pak: 3 cards
Special Pak (Very expensive): 1 very rare card

etc etc

If it works along those lines, I could see it being a mild success.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Daddy

Quote from: Hïro on July 29, 2009, 12:21:09 PM
Here's an idea:
Make sure they're trading cards and not battle cards, meaning there's no fighting system or anything between them, the cards would only be collectors items. However, we still need to be able to trade cards.
Make sure there are lots and lot of different cards, all of varying levels of rarity.

Also, make good use of our luts by selling different packs:
Starter Deck:10 common cards + 2 rare
Booster Pak: 3 cards
Special Pak (Very expensive): 1 very rare card

etc etc

If it works along those lines, I could see it being a mild success.
why won't battling work. baddood;

Also, if battling were to work I've already got a basic thing in Python (though the app would use PHP or Ruby for the web app and Ruby or something if I make a desktop client)
Quotepython shuffletest.py
Cards in Deck:
Cell phone
Mathfag
The Lobby
Lock
Defender of Doodthing
Doodthing
Doodella

Drawing Card

Cards in Deck:
Mathfag
The Lobby
Lock
Defender of Doodthing
Doodthing
Doodella

Cards in Hand:
Cell phone

Drawing Card
Cards in Deck:
The Lobby
Lock
Defender of Doodthing
Doodthing
Doodella

Cards in Hand:
Cell phone
Mathfag

Shuffling Deck
['Doodella', 'The Lobby', 'Defender of Doodthing', 'Doodthing', 'Lock']

Hiro

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 29, 2009, 05:17:16 PM
why won't battling work. baddood;

because, as cool as it sounds in theory, nobody would use it for more than a few days.

I think if you were to focus your energy into the trading aspect, it would be a bit more successful.

Daddy

Quote from: Hïro on July 29, 2009, 05:21:40 PM
because, as cool as it sounds in theory, nobody would use it for more than a few days.

I think if you were to focus your energy into the trading aspect, it would be a bit more successful.
because you can somehow not do both

Title

I agree, let's keep it trading oriented. It will keep the game fresh for longer.

greytay needs to be a card

Hiro

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 29, 2009, 05:23:17 PM
because you can somehow not do both
well you could do both but then i don't thik the trading aspect would be as good as it could have been, while the battling wouldn't last long

i just feel it would be more successful if it was focused mainly on trading, like baseball cards

Daddy

Okay, before I start planning out skeleton code for specific functions (thus making it easier to do in several languages) I need some advice and ideas that I'll ask for with time. Currently I have this:

What should the rarity system be?

Very Common, Common, Rare, Very Rare?
Common, Rare?

Should there be some cards that are so rare that only a certain amount exist? Special event cards?

How about booster packs? Should the cards in them be completely random? (i.e. use the rarity functions alone to determine what is in each pack so a pack may have all commons, a few commons a few rares and one common, all rares) or should they have a predefined content (9 commons and then apply aa function to pick a rare/very rare/etc) ?

Advice.  baddood;

Samus Aran

Common, uncommon, rare, promotional.

The promotional cards will be limited quantity and will be awarded as contest prizes and given for certain specific reasons and stuff like that.

The booster packs should work like Pokemon ones if you ask me, but maybe with less cards in them. So 1 rare, 3 uncommons, 5 commons, or something like that.

Daphnia

PACK OF 13
9 Common
3 Uncommon
1 Rare

1 in 9 packs has a MYTHIC RARE in place of the Rare.

This is Magic. This is life.

Hiro

Since we're not going to have as many cards as real tcgs do, I would suggest boost packs come with only about 5 or so cards.
For rarity, it would say common (everyone has one), uncommon (1/4 have them), rare (1/10), super rare (1/25), and ultra rare (only 1 of them)

And I'd also say that you should just completely randomize each pack.

Daddy

Quote from: Hïro on July 30, 2009, 12:31:50 PM
Since we're not going to have as many cards as real tcgs do, I would suggest boost packs come with only about 5 or so cards.
Who says it won't? How many cards did the Pokémon base pack have?  Also the database structure I'm planning on would easily allow for an expansion pack similar to Pokémon (Just one extra column in the table).

Yeah, 10 was just an example. I'll probably do 5 or 6. Maybe 7.

QuoteFor rarity, it would say common (everyone has one), uncommon (1/4 have them), rare (1/10), super rare (1/25), and ultra rare (only 1 of them)
This is a bit confusing.

And I'd also say that you should just completely randomize each pack.
Doesn't this contradict your previous statement?

And soup. that would be a bit confusing because I wouldn't be able to generate packs on the fly, they would have to be defined once they are purchased with each pack having an ID number where multiples of 9 have the ultra rare.  Not TOO much work but also a little bit of a pain in the ass to set up.

No problem with any of these just trying to find one that works the best.

Go Up