September 29, 2024, 03:23:57 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

what should i major in

Started by Zach, May 20, 2009, 10:14:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

What should I major in?

English (lol)
1 (6.7%)
Journalism
1 (6.7%)
Radio-TV
1 (6.7%)
Music
3 (20%)
Other
9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Go Down

Zach

Because I have no goddamned idea.

English
- Not only are English degrees too common, but they also don't really prepare you to do anything. I don't see how explicating medieval poetry and analyzing the devices, theme, etc. of shitty literature is going to prepare me to do anything except teach English, and that's not what I want to do.

Journalism - I love sports, but I'm not sure how long I could handle getting paid in peanuts to spend all my time covering events that I'm not interested in. I'm also not that interested in covering politics - I get political fatigue if I spend too much time focusing on the news.

Radio-TV - I'd only go down this path if I decided to become a SportsCenter anchor, and I don't know if I'd want to do the years of work at shitty local stations that I'd need to get hired on at a network affiliate in order to have a chance with ESPN.

Music - I enjoy playing music, and I'm going to be a part of my school's drumline next year, but I don't think that I could do anything with a music degree except become a band director, and that's not an ideal job. I don't want to be a professional musician, either.

If you think that something else would be a better use of my talents, then please feel free to suggest another major. Since I'm not a fan of math or science, most degrees that I could get just seem to be rather pointless unless I want to become a teacher.

Hiro

snorkel

none of the above.

do something weird and highly academic like materials engineering

Mettalik

Hiro

YPrrrr

If you don't do English, do Political Science or History. They're at least slightly more useful and still involve writing.
QuoteJournalism - I love sports, but I'm not sure how long I could handle getting paid in peanuts to spend all my time covering events that I'm not interested in. I'm also not that interested in covering politics - I get political fatigue if I spend too much time focusing on the news.
Exactly why I quit journalism

Zach

What are you majoring in, Aubrey?

Feynman

YPrrrr

Quote from: Zach on May 20, 2009, 10:25:45 PM
What are you majoring in, Aubrey?
Political Science... might change it to history, but they both lead to similar things down the road anyway

Zach

What could I do with a political science degree?

Hiro

Underwater Basket-weaving!

YPrrrr

Quote from: Zach on May 20, 2009, 10:32:45 PM
What could I do with a political science degree?
Lawyer
Government official
work in the CIA
teacher
business
international organizations
journalist

basically those

YPrrrr

Also, the thing about journalism is that you can find a job in that field without even getting a degree. Working as a free lance reporter and selling stories can build your reputation just as well or possibly better than a degree would. The degree helps you develop stylistically, but you could potentially go it alone. I've had editors tell me they're looking for journalistic talent rather than a degree in the field

rdl

Nothing.

That's what I'm doing. maybe the military, maybe not.

Zack777

Go Up