October 05, 2024, 04:14:43 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Who watche[d] the Watchmen?

Started by russell, March 07, 2009, 01:19:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

russell

I saw it last night, I was pretty excited. It was excellent, and surely among the best movies of its genre I've seen.

I thought the length/editing might be bad, given the 2:40 (I think) theater run time and 3.5-4+ DVD release or whatever it is, but it was actually great -- no lagging, lots of engaging flashbacks, good storytelling screenplay overall.

What I liked most was just that it was first and foremost a superhero/action movie, but had some great elements of dialogue, brutal violence, sex, art direction, themes... it was focused on none of these individually but made something unique and, like I said, quite good.

It also had a very well-picked soundtrack of modern music (i.e. it wasn't scored) and a couple classical pieces. 

My rating is 8.5/10, and I definitely recommend it.

Hiro

Not yet, but hopefully this weekend. ;__;
It looks pretty cool, although I don't really like how Ozymandias and Nite Owl look

Nyerp

Wasn't that great. Must investigate further.

strongbad

Would you suggest reading the graphic novel before watching the movie?

russell

Quote from: David on March 07, 2009, 09:26:55 PM

I have no idea, the only comic I've ever really read is Sandman

strongbad

Quote from: wziard on March 07, 2009, 10:43:35 PM
I have no idea, the only comic I've ever really read is Sandman

Oh. I heard great things about the comic and I really want to look into it, but I don't want to movie to spoil anything..

C.Mongler

Quote from: David on March 07, 2009, 09:26:55 PM

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Due to this I can't give it more than a 6/10 because the second half of the movie has so much shit changed that makes it so much inferior to the graphic novel. See the movie, be amazed, then read the novel. If you read it first, you'll be dissapointed and pissed off.

strongbad

Quote from: C Mongler on March 07, 2009, 11:10:02 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Due to this I can't give it more than a 6/10 because the second half of the movie has so much shit changed that makes it so much inferior to the graphic novel. See the movie, be amazed, then read the novel. If you read it first, you'll be dissapointed and pissed off.

Ok thumbup;

Hiro

Oh

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/67950649/watchmen?tab=summary

Motion comic is also great. Narrator is good, and the art style is fabulous.

Selkie

I just saw it last night. I have to say, I was fucking entertained, first and foremost. And I went into the theater expecting only that, so I wasn't disappointed.

Some of Rorschack's voiceover lines were absolutely amazing. Like the one about the bus full of retarded children or something. Also the long joke he made in I think his second or third journal entry. I couldn't stop laughing.

I was pretty awed by the amount of violence. Scenes that a movie would usually not show, were shown in plain sight. Which is pretty cool.

And the fight sequences were freaking awesome.

KonohaShinobi

I heard the "possible homosexual, must investigate further" line was removed when he was talking to Dan (might have been Ozy, Haven't read the GN in a while).

Nyerp

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on March 08, 2009, 10:05:34 AM
I heard the "possible homosexual, must investigate further" line was removed when he was talking to Dan (might have been Ozy, Haven't read the GN in a while).

it was adrian you dumbfart

Feynman

I'm gonna wait until we can walk in and no one will be in the theater.

russell

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on March 08, 2009, 10:05:34 AM

Something like that was in there.

Go Up