July 07, 2024, 07:24:09 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Book recommendations

Started by Samus Aran, March 03, 2009, 05:22:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

March 03, 2009, 05:22:23 PM Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:26:51 PM by ZAK
It's seriously been way too long since I had a decent novel to read, and my family is hounding me for gift ideas. So I figured it would be a good opportunity to get two or three books.

Firstly, I already have one slot taken by J.D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey, which I've really been meaning to get ahold of.

Anyway, as for other recommendations, don't just tell me a book title. Tell me why I should read it if I haven't already and what sort of book it is.

Skylark

March 03, 2009, 05:32:07 PM #1 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:04:31 PM by Skylark
Franny and Zooey is a great pick

I think you should try out The Stranger by Albert Camus but I can't really tell you why you should read it because it won't be the same for you as it is for me, different reader response just trust that it's really great.
Also, Be Here Now by Ram Dass if it were to ever interest you in any way.

Since you like Salinger you might like Fitzgerald or Kerouac and of those I recommend This Side of Paradise (Fitz) and On the Road.The former is a book about a young aristocrat (Amory Blaine) but it's Fitzgerald so the story is sort of melancholy and Amory is sort of a jerk but he learns something really great and if you read it you might get that. The latter is a book that is a lot about traveling and maybe it will make you love America in the way it made me love America. Maybe you would like The Fountainhead if you haven't read it but I feel weird recommending that to anybody. I hope you get something that you like.
the book of right on

Daddy

tl;dr

also

white oldeander by janet whoever

uhm you should read it if you haven't because it is a very intruiging story of a loli who has to keep switching homes and shit and her mom is crazy and controllling. its a good book

The artist formally known

Quote from: steal on March 03, 2009, 07:41:56 PM
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. I just started reading it the other day and it's really amazing, as are all of Palahniuk's other novels i've read so far... he has such a distinctive voice.
Just don't get Snuff. Bleh it's horrid.

Go Up