July 07, 2024, 07:20:45 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Academy Awards

Started by Hiro, February 22, 2009, 10:09:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Bolivian Army

Quote from: Andrew1911 on February 24, 2009, 10:29:56 AM
what the fuck are you people even watching

yeah but he laughs when he's beating harry up  baddood;

Donate now to the Guff Is Great foundation. baddood;

Andrew1911

Quote from: Brooks on February 24, 2009, 10:35:28 AM
yeah but he laughs when he's beating harry up  baddood;

there's a lot more subtleties to ledger's performance than just laughing when he beats someone up  doodhuh;

also dirty harry sucks

Bolivian Army

February 24, 2009, 12:08:32 PM #17 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:20:44 PM by Brooks
Quote from: Andrew1911 on February 24, 2009, 10:59:06 AM
there's a lot more subtleties to ledger's performance than just laughing when he beats someone up  doodhuh;

also dirty harry sucks

yeah but scorpio paid a guy to beat him up baddood;

it's subtle in its own way

Commander Fuckass

Ok guys admit it, the only reason we all went to see The Dark Knight was to see if Heath's joker was going to suck.
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Skylark

Quote from: Craven Morehead on February 24, 2009, 07:03:19 AM
I need to watch Milk so I can judge if Sean Penn deserved that award.

Sean Penn was great in that film. You'll see :)
the book of right on

sans culottes

Quote from: Andrew1911 on February 24, 2009, 10:59:06 AM

also dirty harry sucks

Your opinions are now void.
I support BUSH

Andrew1911

Quote from: coz on February 24, 2009, 06:18:27 PM
Your opinions are now void.

it's cool if you've only seen ten films

also i'm not the nigger comparing two roles that aren't even similar to each other in anyway possible so there's that

Feynman

Quote from: reefer on February 23, 2009, 01:31:26 PM
I watched The Dark Knight over again. If Heath Ledger wasn't in the movie it would be mediocre at best. It doesn't deserve much besides what Heath did for it. Sorry guys.

Well, that's the thing. The whole movie was about the Joker. It wasn't really about Batman this time, and that's the way Nolan probably intended it to be. By the same logic you're applying to The Dark Knight, if the stupid indian kid wasn't in the movie Slumdog Millionaire it would be mediocre at best.

The Dark Knight was indeed a great and enjoyable movie. It was exciting, it was heart-warming, it was beautiful, it had all the qualities a "Best Picture" should have. I think that the death of Ledger overhyped the movie, and the Academy noticed that and tried to downplay it—but they ended up downplaying so much that they didn't even nominate it.

Slumdog Millionshit only won because the academy consists of rich folks that have no idea what it is in very poor areas of the world were moved by seeing people that weren't wearing gold dentures and seeing homes that weren't diamond-encrusted. That movie was complete Oscar-bait. Put a character in, make the audience feel sympathy, and fuck with the audience. Been there, done that, seen it, hated it.

russell

Quote from: Bassir on February 24, 2009, 09:28:43 PM
Well, that's the thing. The whole movie was about the Joker. It wasn't really about Batman this time, and that's the way Nolan probably intended it to be. By the same logic you're applying to The Dark Knight, if the stupid indian kid wasn't in the movie Slumdog Millionaire it would be mediocre at best.

The Dark Knight was indeed a great and enjoyable movie. It was exciting, it was heart-warming, it was beautiful, it had all the qualities a "Best Picture" should have. I think that the death of Ledger overhyped the movie, and the Academy noticed that and tried to downplay itâ,”but they ended up downplaying so much that they didn't even nominate it.

Slumdog Millionshit only won because the academy consists of rich folks that have no idea what it is in very poor areas of the world were moved by seeing people that weren't wearing gold dentures and seeing homes that weren't diamond-encrusted. That movie was complete Oscar-bait. Put a character in, make the audience feel sympathy, and fuck with the audience. Been there, done that, seen it, hated it.

christ

like andrew said, what the fuck are you guys watching; have you ever even seen a movie that didn't come out this year

the characters in slumdog millionaire and the dark knight are completely different. if Joker was played by someone else, the movie would work but be considerably worse because that's one of the few things it has going for it. if slumdog millionaire had a different kid, it would probably be only marginally worse or no different.

there is much more to a film than how engaging and "heart-warming" it is. the dark knight didn't stand apart from countless other action movies in areas like art direction, cinematography, score, editing, or writing... like I said, its strong points were ledger's performance and evidently sound editing (an award I agree with, although last year Bourne Ultimatum won best sound editing and had a similar core of fanboys calling it an amazing indie thriller or some shit).

if you'd seen Trainspotting and knew anything about film, you would see a movie that actually succeeds at everything a "best picture" should have. There are many films like this, obviously, but I pick out Trainspotting because it is also a Danny Boyle film.

you're talking about the golden globes, there, not the oscars

so in what way was dark knight not a complete ploy on Warner Bros.'s behalf to draw audiences to the familiar franchise and enticing character (Joker), in order to become an instant blockbuster?

sans culottes

Quote from: Andrew1911 on February 24, 2009, 08:15:57 PM
it's cool if you've only seen ten films

also i'm not the nigger comparing two roles that aren't even similar to each other in anyway possible so there's that

I'm not trying to say that the Joker and Scorpio are twins, but the basic concept is the same - psychotic killer who kills because of sadism and anarchy. Regardless, Dirty Harry does not suck. Srs.
I support BUSH

Bolivian Army

Quote from: coz on February 25, 2009, 06:28:07 PM
I'm not trying to say that the Joker and Scorpio are twins, but the basic concept is the same - psychotic killer who kills because of sadism and anarchy. Regardless, Dirty Harry does not suck. Srs.

didn't he also want a hundred grand

Andrew1911

Quote from: coz on February 25, 2009, 06:28:07 PM

except that has nothing to do with acting performance

stop being retard baby

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Skylark on February 24, 2009, 05:39:53 PM
Sean Penn was great in that film. You'll see :)
I try to shy away from Sean Penn movie because he's so damn annoying.

The Assassination of Richard Nixon was amazing though.

Feynman

Quote from: wziard on February 24, 2009, 09:53:31 PM
christ

like andrew said, what the fuck are you guys watching; have you ever even seen a movie that didn't come out this year

the characters in slumdog millionaire and the dark knight are completely different. if Joker was played by someone else, the movie would work but be considerably worse because that's one of the few things it has going for it. if slumdog millionaire had a different kid, it would probably be only marginally worse or no different.

there is much more to a film than how engaging and "heart-warming" it is. the dark knight didn't stand apart from countless other action movies in areas like art direction, cinematography, score, editing, or writing... like I said, its strong points were ledger's performance and evidently sound editing (an award I agree with, although last year Bourne Ultimatum won best sound editing and had a similar core of fanboys calling it an amazing indie thriller or some shit).

if you'd seen Trainspotting and knew anything about film, you would see a movie that actually succeeds at everything a "best picture" should have. There are many films like this, obviously, but I pick out Trainspotting because it is also a Danny Boyle film.

you're talking about the golden globes, there, not the oscars

so in what way was dark knight not a complete ploy on Warner Bros.'s behalf to draw audiences to the familiar franchise and enticing character (Joker), in order to become an instant blockbuster?

I didn't say it should win Best Picture, it was overhyped.

The Oscars are overhyped. All these award shows are meaningless.

Slumshit is stupid.

Andrew1911

Go Up