June 16, 2024, 03:41:26 AM

1,531,265 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Questions for the religious

Started by Houdini, May 28, 2007, 08:32:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Zach

Quote from: Slim on April 08, 2009, 08:17:40 PM
Revised for Veal.

If he created you, he has ever right to demand that you worship him.

Daddy

Quote from: Zach on April 09, 2009, 09:00:06 AM
Does Yahweh have self esteem issues? :(

Zach

Daddy

Quote from: Zach on April 09, 2009, 09:12:05 AM
Probably. I don't know.
Is he not perfect though?
Why would he need imperfect beings worshipping him by force?

Slim

Quote from: Zach on April 09, 2009, 09:00:06 AM

Nope. That's the mindset of abjection that religion has perpetuated in people throughout history. It's probably its most sickening aspect. If we are nothing more than the playthings of a spiteful despot in the sky, then life truly is more worthless and meaningless than one could possibly imagine.
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Slim

Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

PuuMastaFunk

Quote from: Slim on April 09, 2009, 09:48:49 AM
Nope. That's the mindset of abjection that religion has perpetuated in people throughout history. It's probably its most sickening aspect. If we are nothing more than the playthings of a spiteful despot in the sky, then life truly is more worthless and meaningless than one could possibly imagine.

Well, it's not like you HAVE to worship him. He expects you to, but he knows whether you will or not before you're even conceived. Sure, it IS sickening how religion has affected people throughout history. The Muslims and the Jews. The Jews to the Canannites and the Gentiles. The medieval Catholics to everybody. But that doesn't mean that EVERYBODY who is religious is the exact same way. Have you seen me on here trying to sway any of you over to God? No, you haven't. I know that it won't work. I'm not going to play Big Brother here and have you believe something you don't.

That's your choice.

Himu

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on April 17, 2009, 03:13:10 PM
Well, it's not like you HAVE to worship him. He expects you to, but he knows whether you will or not before you're even conceived.

That's not fair. ]:

Slim

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on April 17, 2009, 03:13:10 PM
Well, it's not like you HAVE to worship him. He expects you to, but he knows whether you will or not before you're even conceived.

So, assuming that your notion of god is true, there's no punishment for not worshiping or acknowledging him at all, right? If not, then he's not benevolent.

QuoteSure, it IS sickening how religion has affected people throughout history. The Muslims and the Jews. The Jews to the Canannites and the Gentiles. The medieval Catholics to everybody. But that doesn't mean that EVERYBODY who is religious is the exact same way. Have you seen me on here trying to sway any of you over to God? No, you haven't. I know that it won't work. I'm not going to play Big Brother here and have you believe something you don't.

I wasn't necessarily referring to religious wars and oppression and so forth, nor was I implying that all religious people are modern day Crusaders. When I say that it's sickening, I mean the doctrine of Christianity itself and the mindset that it instills in people--specifically, the idea that, under the threat of eternal punishment in hell, we must always grovel at the feet of an omnipotent being in the sky, praising him nonstop, thanking him for all that we have, begging him for forgiveness whenever we may have done something to displease him. We are all burdened by Original Sin and must always plead to god to be cleansed, knowing full well that we will never live up to the ideal that Christianity sets for us and thus will always 'fall short of the glory of god,' as I think it's said. Here, god is Big Brother. I don't think that this is a particularly healthy or positive thing to believe in, hence why I called it sickening.

This isn't the reason for why I don't believe in the god of Christianity; it's just my opinion on what I believe to be Christianity's worst, most degrading, most objectionable aspect (although I'm sure what I've said could also apply to the gods of other religions as well).

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on April 17, 2009, 05:02:23 PMIt IS fair. He created you.

Creation does not imply ownership. Humans aren't just the toys of a supernatural being, obligated to do whatever he demands of us. My parents don't have any right to own me simply because they created me, and the same would apply to a god if one existed.

PuuMastaFunk

Quote from: Slim on April 17, 2009, 07:36:30 PM
So, assuming that your notion of god is true, there's no punishment for not worshiping or acknowledging him at all, right? If not, then he's not benevolent.

Yes, there is a punishment, Slim. It's called hell. You don't have to worship him, and you won't be punished right off, but by remaining lost, you place yourself into hell.

QuoteI wasn't necessarily referring to religious wars and oppression and so forth, nor was I implying that all religious people are modern day Crusaders. When I say that it's sickening, I mean the doctrine of Christianity itself and the mindset that it instills in people--specifically, the idea that, under the threat of eternal punishment in hell, we must always grovel at the feet of an omnipotent being in the sky, praising him nonstop, thanking him for all that we have, begging him for forgiveness whenever we may have done something to displease him. We are all burdened by Original Sin and must always plead to god to be cleansed, knowing full well that we will never live up to the ideal that Christianity sets for us and thus will always 'fall short of the glory of god,' as I think it's said. Here, god is Big Brother. I don't think that this is a particularly healthy or positive thing to believe in, hence why I called it sickening.

Sorry I misunderstood. But you're not supposed to worship him because you're afraid of hell. You're supposed to worship him because you love him. Of course we'll never live up to the expectation to Christianity. Everyone knows that. Anyone who says they live perfectly is a damn liar. Look at me! I swear. I say perverted things. And there's even more to that that none of you even know, or ever will. But the point of the Laws of Christianity is to strive for perfection. You're not supposed to be God. You're supposed to try to be like him. That's the whole point. The fact that you try to be a divine and holy person, even though you know that, in the end, you're going to fail, is exactly what God's looking for. God doesn't want perfection. He already has that.

And to me, it's not sickening at all. I want to be perfect. I want to be like Jesus was when he was on Earth, even though I know I'm far from it. I try my best every day to be a better person. Does it work. Hell no. But I tried. I tried yesterday, too. And, I can assure you, I'll be working on it tomorrow. It is healthy, because you're trying to do right by God. You're supposed to set an example.

QuoteThis isn't the reason for why I don't believe in the god of Christianity; it's just my opinion on what I believe to be Christianity's worst, most degrading, most objectionable aspect (although I'm sure what I've said could also apply to the gods of other religions as well).

Okay, you have a point. Not many Christians have done a very good job being examples, have they? But have you seen the state of the world? It's at a point where everybody is into the mindset of, "Well, someone else will do it, anyways, so why should I?" But that's what makes the problem worse! When everybody in the world, minus a handful of people, are waiting on someone else to do the job, it puts so much more onto the shoulders of the ones who are willing to fix things. Do you know how discouraging that is? If that happened to me, I certainly wouldn't want to do any work. It'd be too damn hard to pick up other people's slack, and I don't have anything to offer to begin with.

QuoteCreation does not imply ownership. Humans aren't just the toys of a supernatural being, obligated to do whatever he demands of us. My parents don't have any right to own me simply because they created me, and the same would apply to a god if one existed.

Hm...maybe not. But maybe so. You're parents own you, atleast until you turn 18, no matter how big of a rebellion you put up. If you had kids, you'd feel the same way. And if that doesn't count, well, he's the person who made you you. He gave you the personal skills you have, your personality, everything about you.

Veal

The views expressed above are solely those of the Bowser_Boy and do not reflect the views of the Christians everywhere.

Classic

Quote from: Veal on April 17, 2009, 10:45:40 PM
The views expressed above are solely those of the Bowser_Boy and do not reflect the views of the Christians everywhere.

Too late. The damage is done.

guff

Quote from: Veal on April 17, 2009, 10:45:40 PM
okay so can this go for atheists and jmv too  baddood;

Go Up