October 06, 2024, 12:25:56 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I need your opinions...(RPG development related)

Started by Classic, January 30, 2009, 06:06:49 PM

previous topic - next topic

Turn based or action?

Turn based (Skies of Arcadia, etc...)
Action (Paper Mario, etc...)
Go Down

Classic

So, I need to know what you think.
Do you guys like traditional turned based RPGs (Skies of Arcadia, etc...) or action RPGs (Paper Mario, etc...)
Insight would help. I need this data for obvious reasons.

Turn based, obviously, plays like this.
Set your action, watch the action, watch enemy action, repeat.

Action plays like a Paper Mario title where...
You set your action, you play your action (timing attacks, etc...), then watch the enemy.

Please answer and explain.

Hiro

I prefer the action kind, you get a little more involved in the game  bassir;

Nyerp

paper mario is turn-based; action rpgs are where you freely control your character goonish

StarPilot

Turn based is my preference, but I think that's because I'm easily distracted.

Classic

Quote from: Nyerp on January 30, 2009, 06:44:07 PM
paper mario is turn-based; action rpgs are where you freely control your character goonish

Silly me.

It's been a long day. Please ignore my idiocy and  answer the question.

Nyerp

Quote from: Alice on January 30, 2009, 06:53:29 PM
Silly me.

It's been a long day. Please ignore my idiocy and  answer the question.

turn-bassed

Geno

It really depends on how it's executed.
Games like Mass Effect excute the action RPG genre perfectly.
and some other games like Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus fail.

I guess I like Turn based
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

ncba93ivyase

Turn based

Unless it's like the shitty way some Final Fantasy games do it: you have a little meter that slowly charges up, and while you're selecting moves, enemies are still attacking. goonish

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Nyerp

Quote from: Pancake Persona on January 31, 2009, 06:32:30 AM
Turn based

Unless it's like the shitty way some Final Fantasy games do it: you have a little meter that slowly charges up, and while you're selecting moves, enemies are still attacking. goonish

wah it's too hard for me myface;

Thyme

Hard to say since I personally don't count Paper Mario as an action RPG. When I think of action RPGs, games like Brave Fencer Musashi and the Tales series come to mind instead.

Either way, I like both. Sometimes one would fit the overall style of the game more than the other. I'd go with your definition of action RPG in My Heroes' case: traditional with timed attacks. I'm sure you can find some silly and original system to incorporate in it. :3

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Nyerp on January 31, 2009, 09:52:07 AM
wah it's too hard for me myface;
there's no such thing as a hard rpg

It's simply annoying.

What's worse is when you have to wait to charge up and select a spell, then wait for the spell to charge up before it's used. Makes magic completely useless.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Geno

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Samus Aran

Quote from: Pancake Persona on January 31, 2009, 10:44:41 AM

It's simply annoying.

What's worse is when you have to wait to charge up and select a spell, then wait for the spell to charge up before it's used. Makes magic completely useless.

um

the spells in "active" time in FF6 and 7 activate immediately as long as nothing happens before you can use it, like an enemy attacking

so i'm assuming the other "active" time games are like that as well

ps: you can change it to "wait"

Classic

Quote from: Pancake Persona on January 31, 2009, 06:32:30 AM
Turn based

Nah. None of that bullshit. Think Skies of Arcadia.

Quote from: Thyme on January 31, 2009, 10:13:16 AM
Hard to say since I personally don't count Paper Mario as an action RPG. When I think of action RPGs, games like Brave Fencer Musashi and the Tales series come to mind instead.

Either way, I like both. Sometimes one would fit the overall style of the game more than the other. I'd go with your definition of action RPG in My Heroes' case: traditional with timed attacks. I'm sure you can find some silly and original system to incorporate in it. :3

Right now we just want to get a ground base going.
As far as silly antics in the game, there are sequences in battle called "ACTION!". These are small in-game minigames that can effect the battle greatly.

For example, the characters are battling a bad guy on a train. When the "ACTION!" icon appears, the player presses the action button at the right time. If executed correctly, the characters will jump and the bad guy, for example won't, causing himself to be hit by a post or tunnel entrance.

Quote from: Pancake Persona on January 31, 2009, 10:44:41 AM

That's about to change. ;)

Samus Aran

Also, I think that the Tales action style is my favorite battle system for RPGs now. I have no idea how Skies of Arcadia plays because I've never played it.

Tactical-turn-based is probably my second favorite. FFT, Disgaea and the like.

So yeah, I think using a full action battle system would be just awesome.

Go Up