October 24, 2024, 09:21:57 PM

1,531,340 Posts in 46,732 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Pronunciation and Other Vocabularian Oddities

Started by Thyme, January 14, 2009, 11:19:48 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

January 14, 2009, 11:19:48 AM Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:08:12 AM by Thyme
Thyme making a thread? He must be really bored. n_u

Anyway, pretty generic thread here. Post strange habits you have when speaking or writing and some examples of words you tend to pronounce strangely.

[spoiler]yes classic i totally stole this thread from hen spam;[/spoiler]

So, one thing that's particular in my case is that I don't actually speak English that much. At my job, I had a coworker who was from Florida and spoke only English, so that was ONE opportunity to use, but other than that I pretty much never speak it. When I do speak it, or when I'm just reading out loud, there are some words I thought I pronounced correctly until I actually heard someone else pronounce it. Some of these words I still pronounce like that.

Chandelier: This word exists in French, so I pretty much thought it would be pronounced the same way as in French, but with an English accent: chan-duh-liay.

Cabinet: Same as above: ca-bee-nay.

Chocolate: I tend to pronounce that second o.

Bear: Like beer.

Though: thoo

Mic: Well... I pronounce it as it looks like, forgetting that it's an abbreviation of MIKE-rophone.

Tackle: tay-kul

Anti-: I'm confused about this prefix. It seems sometimes it's "antee" and some other times it's "an-tie", but... well, I always use the second one.

Fatal: fa-dal goonish

As for silly habits in my written English, I tend to use the words "well" (as an interjection), "actually" "really" and "somewhat" quite a lot. Sometimes I forget some pretty common words and I need to ask people to help me find them. giggle;

Something tells me I also use commas too much. O_0

When I speak in French, I tend to use a lot of English words. The Quebec jargon already has a lot of English words, like functional objects ending with -er (toaster, blender, muffler, tire) and... well, most things having to do with cars, but I tend to use them even more, and a bit randomly. Speaking of which, "random" is a word I use a lot and most people I talk to don't even know what it means. Same for "awesome" and "badass".

Classic

You mean like when I say "New-clee-air" for nuclear?  bassir;

Thyme

Quote from: Mr. Happy on January 14, 2009, 11:21:10 AM
You mean like when I say "New-clee-air" for nuclear?  bassir;

Yes. giggle;

I prefer that pronunciation, to be honest. I don't use it, but it sounds better. befuddlement

Classic

Quote from: Sentimental Turtlehead on January 14, 2009, 11:22:23 AM
Yes. giggle;

I prefer that pronunciation, to be honest. I don't use it, but it sounds better. befuddlement

Most Texans pronounce it "New-kyew-ler"...

So when I say "New-clee-air"...I'll have to repeat it several times before they realize I'm saying nuclear.  n_u

YPrrrr

I think your commas are fine, but I've been known to overuse them as well, so idk n_u

Apparently I tend to cut off the second g in "going" when I'm talking fast... This causes my floormates to speak in a southern accent when doing impressions of me saddood;

FAMY2

Since talking to Hyper and going to Australia I tend to use these

Mum for mom. Like the flower.

No worries. Flight attendants say that a lot.

Take away for take out.

Koala. NO BEAR AT THE END.

Wag for skipping work or school.

Classic

Quote from: YPR on January 14, 2009, 11:24:48 AM
I think your commas are fine, but I've been known to overuse them as well, so idk n_u

Apparently I tend to cut off the second g in "going" when I'm talking fast... This causes my floormates to speak in a southern accent when doing impressions of me saddood;

I don't have a heavy southern accent, so I end up making fun of my friends.  giggle;

Thyme

YPrrrr

Quote from: Mr. Happy on January 14, 2009, 11:26:27 AM
I don't have a heavy southern accent, so I end up making fun of my friends.  giggle;
Texas has its own accent anyway... distinguished from that of the deep south. They make me sound like I'm from South Carolina madood;
Quote from: FAMY2 on January 14, 2009, 11:25:56 AM

Koala. NO BEAR AT THE END.

Good, because it's not a bear... Apparently they consider pandas to be bears again though

Classic

Quote from: YPR on January 14, 2009, 11:29:02 AM
Texas has its own accent anyway... distinguished from that of the deep south. They make me sound like I'm from South Carolina madood;

Aubrey, we just need to have a phone conversation one day. You'll hear what I mean.  giggle;

ME##

Thyme

Quote from: Parrot Pancake on January 14, 2009, 11:41:21 AM
Aluminium as opposed to aluminum.

There's a certain language in which it's pronounced that way.

GUESS WHICH ONE spam;

ME##

Quote from: Sentimental Turtlehead on January 14, 2009, 11:46:55 AM

GUESS WHICH ONE spam;

Le français ? maps;

bluaki

January 14, 2009, 11:51:40 AM #13 Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:02:46 PM by bluaki
Quote from: Sentimental Turtlehead on January 14, 2009, 11:19:48 AM
Chocolate: I tend to pronounce that second o.
Uh, quite a few native English speakers pronounce the second o in chocolate as far as I know.
Quote from: Sentimental Turtlehead on January 14, 2009, 11:46:55 AM

GUESS WHICH ONE spam;
Any language other than American English, perhaps? I don't know much about any other languages but I at least know it's pronounced with the extra i in Japanese and I'm fairly sure the British would keep to the -ium sounds of all the other metals when they keep the i that America removes. And considering who posted this quoted message, I'd assume French does as well.

I like to start sentences with 'and', I use commas a lot, and I do some other weird things especially when typing that I can't particularly think of now. Oh and I also seemingly-randomly change between British and American spelling, though I tend to stay at British most of the time.
For the longest time I thought "Molybdium" is pronounced like molly-buh(with vowel barely audible)-dium, but apparently it's moe-lib-dium

Thyme

January 14, 2009, 12:00:45 PM #14 Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 12:03:56 PM by Sentimental Turtlehead
Quote from: bluaki on January 14, 2009, 11:51:40 AM
Uh, quite a few native English speakers pronounce the second o in chocolate as far as I know.

Possible. Most people I hear pronounce it "chock-lit", though. This includes television and movies. O_0

[spoiler] Uh *poke*[/spoiler]

Go Up