October 03, 2024, 09:37:14 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Reccomend me some music

Started by strongbad, January 12, 2009, 10:38:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

So for the last year, my taste in music have dramitaclly changed. I've gone from listening to almost nothing, to building a fairly strong library of artists. Alot of credit goes to boyah, as i've lurked this board a ton, and looked up alot of bands mentioned, and downloaded a lot of bands mentioned.
Pretty much because of Boyah, I've gotten into Muse, Porcupine Tree, and Radiohead. Of course there are others, but those are the ones that stand out the most for me.

So I'm just looking for more. Don't just post random shit that you like, but try to post something that you think would be relevant to my tastes.

Also, please include your favorite album by the respected artist, since there have been many times where I've downloaded an absolutely horrible album, and been turned off the whole band because of it.

Thanks  hocuspocus;

Samus Aran

Well clearly you at least mildly enjoy progressive rock, considering you mentioned Porcupine Tree and Radiohead, so it'd be sort of a crime not to try Pink Floyd. Obviously the best first album to try of theirs is Dark Side of the Moon. Of course, the styles of progressive rock that PF are radically different from Porcupine Tree and Radiohead, but still.

You could also go the route of getting more alternative rock if you like Radiohead's early work...and you mentioned Muse, so yeah.

Placebo Headwound

sans culottes

Quote from: Thief888 on January 12, 2009, 10:44:36 PM
wut

Does anyone REALLY know exactly what the hell "progressive rock" is supposed to mean?
I support BUSH

strongbad

Quote from: Paranoid Pancake on January 12, 2009, 10:42:41 PM
Well clearly you at least mildly enjoy progressive rock, considering you mentioned Porcupine Tree and Radiohead, so it'd be sort of a crime not to try Pink Floyd. Obviously the best first album to try of theirs is Dark Side of the Moon. Of course, the styles of progressive rock that PF are radically different from Porcupine Tree and Radiohead, but still.

You could also go the route of getting more alternative rock if you like Radiohead's early work...and you mentioned Muse, so yeah.

I have a few Pink Flody songs, and I don't know why I don't have more. I definitely like them.

YPrrrr

I don't really like Radiohead or Porcupine Tree, so I don't know anything like them to recommend you... And I can't think of anyone like Muse that comes to mind... techno sort of I guess

Samus Aran

Quote from: Thief888 on January 12, 2009, 10:44:36 PM
wut

Um, yes. Radiohead, at least their work starting with OK Computer, is a blend of alternative and progressive/art rock. Kid A in particular is very, very much progressive rock. Even electronic, too. But you knew that already.

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on January 13, 2009, 06:15:03 AM
Does anyone REALLY know exactly what the hell "progressive rock" is supposed to mean?

It's slightly open for interpretations, but there are some pretty definite guidelines for what can make a band more "progressive rock" than just rock. Basically it's a form of rock that tries to present itself as a deeper art form with all sorts of tomfoolery, the most common of which is simply avoiding the structure of a typical rock song. You know...verse, chorus, solo, etc. It also includes things like ambience, unusual time signatures and tempos (and often, changing ones), making use of instruments not usually found in rock, and many other things.

So you have easily progressive bands like Pink Floyd that make use of pretty much everything progressive rock can be, and bands like Radiohead and Rush that only use a few of them.

But again, it's at least slightly open for personal interpretation. I think it's important not to confuse a small amount of experimentation (The Beatles) with progressive rock, though. Radiohead has thus far made more than half of their discography "progressive rock," so I'd say it's pretty safe to call them a prog rock band.

Daphnia

Dream Theater?
I find Scenes From A Memory a bit over the top with the theatrics, but it's still my favorite.

Dredg - El Cielo is also quite good. bassir;

Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde is pretty giggle;

Experimental Aircraft - Third Transmission. AWESOME

PEARL JAM WOOO YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Ten is a pretty good album. n_u

Red Sparowes (spelled wrong madood;) - At the Soundless Dawn. akudood;

Yo La Tengo - I'm Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass. Q('_' Q)

strongbad

Quote from: YPR on January 13, 2009, 07:24:27 AM
I don't really like Radiohead or Porcupine Tree, so I don't know anything like them to recommend you... And I can't think of anyone like Muse that comes to mind... techno sort of I guess

I actually would love some techno. I've always wanted to get into that.
Quote from: Daphnia on January 13, 2009, 12:28:47 PM
Dream Theater?
I find Scenes From A Memory a bit over the top with the theatrics, but it's still my favorite.

Dredg - El Cielo is also quite good. bassir;

Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde is pretty giggle;

Experimental Aircraft - Third Transmission. AWESOME

PEARL JAM WOOO YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!! Ten is a pretty good album. n_u

Red Sparowes (spelled wrong madood;) - At the Soundless Dawn. akudood;

Yo La Tengo - I'm Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass. Q('_' Q)

My friend is really into Dream Theater, and I enjoy it. I'll give that album a try.
Actually since i haven't heard of most of what you mentioned, I'll probably end up trying it all.
Thanks soup ;)

Samus Aran

I second the Dream Theater recommendation. thumbup;

Geno

Quote from: Paranoid Pancake on January 13, 2009, 05:05:15 PM
I second the Dream Theater recommendation. thumbup;
I've only heard them on Rock Band 2  :(
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Placebo Headwound

Geno

Quote from: Thief888 on January 13, 2009, 05:12:15 PM
faggot
I really don't pay attention to newer bands considering the majority of them suck arse
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Geno of Endor on January 13, 2009, 05:12:55 PM
I really don't pay attention to newer bands considering the majority of them suck arse
God damn it, Geno. baddood;

Go Up