July 15, 2024, 09:49:51 AM

1,531,280 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

My 5 Oscar "Best Film" picks for 2008

Started by russell, January 07, 2009, 02:02:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

russell

January 07, 2009, 02:02:32 PM Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:06:59 PM by сноркел
I know there's a "5 favorites of 2008" thread, but it differs a bit from my "top 5 BEST of 2008." So here they are, in order:

1. Revolutionary Road, by Sam Mendes

This is the first movie I've seen in a long time that really -- forgive the cliché -- took me on an emotional roller coaster ride (Pan's Labyrinth was the last one I remember). I definitely think Sam Mendes (Director, previously writer of the brilliant American Beauty) deserves the Best Director award for this... and without a doubt I'd give Best Actress to Kate Winslet (who tops even her Eternal Sunshine performance). Leonardo DiCaprio, along with the entire cast, was also perfect... overall this movie is one of my all-time favorites.

The story concerns a suburban family in the 1950s... Winslet is a trapped housewife who wants more out of life, and DiCaprio is her settled and less intrepid husband (I've never seen him in a role like this, and he does wonderfully). It's really a compelling look at our culture, past and previous, and the dreams and ambitions some of us have.

The poster is really not endearing at all, which is why I put off seeing this for so long (can't say I don't judge movies by their posters), but I urge you to see it if you have any respect for real and amazing filmmaking. It is a masterpiece.

Oh, I'd also easily give it Best Original Score, and I must compliment the ending for being neither generic nor overdone.

2. The Wrestler, by Darren Aronofsky

A close runner-up for Best Director. This was another movie I was really reluctant to sit down and watch, because wrestling does not interest me at all, but this movie is Aronofsky's best to date... which is saying a lot considering Requiem for a Dream and Pi are two of the better films ever. The signature Aronofsky camera work and storyboard is there, and Mickey Rourke shines as my pick for Best Actor. He becomes the role of a struggling retired wrestler so well that the movie isn't about wrestling at all... it's entirely about his personal experiences and the dilemmas he faces in post-pro-career life. Just watch it.

3. Che, by Steven Soderbergh

I've been waiting for this movie forever, and have finally seen it. Part One, anyway (it is four hours long and divided into two releases). I actually can't decide if I like Mickey Rourke or Benicio Del Toro (who plays Che Guevara) more for Best Actor... Del Toro is basically the only reason this movie is good besides Soderbergh's unique art direction, but those two things are enough to make it a solid 9.5/10 movie. Not saying everything else about it is crap, because the screenplay (entirely Spanish), music, and other things are good too.

4. Slumdog Millionaire, by Danny Boyle

Same thing I've been saying for the other three. Unusual but effective plot device, great acting; excellent story that you want to be part of until the end. Also gets a few points for including MIA's "Paper Planes" in the soundtrack (completely appropriately). 12-13 years later, I think Danny Boyle has finally made a movie to compare to Trainspotting (which he also directed).

5. Reprise, the Norwegian film you've never heard of.

Nope, not The Dark Knight. Not sure how Best Foreign Film award is awarded concerning international release dates, but this was only released to the United States in spring 2008.

This is probably the best low-budget, no-name-actors movie I've ever seen. Its story has a lot of parallels to Trainspotting -- it's a story of male camaraderie between a group of five or six close friends in their 20s. Two of them are attempting to become accomplished authors, and the movie follows their struggles surrounding friendship and the quest for literary stardom. This wouldn't be on the list if it wasn't for the beautiful cinematography, and excellent acting by the two stars. Highly recommended.

Very, VERY close runners-up:
Gomorra
Synecdoche, New York
A Christmas Tale
The Dark Knight

--------------------------------------------------------

I'd highly recommend watching these, and all of them are available via torrent. Che isn't even out in theaters yet, but this season we've been very lucky with having awards screening DVDs uploaded. Between BTJunkie.org and Demonoid you can find all of them (except maybe Reprise, which I got from Netflix).

The artist formally known

How did this thread get no love?

The Wrestler, by Darren Aronofsky. Jesus Christ I have to say this put me in a depressed mood for a good month.

snorkel

What was I thinking, A Christmas Tale sucked

Daphnia

Oh

I am watching Che right now in Spanish, pretty damn good actually.

Go Up