July 07, 2024, 07:53:23 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Indie rock finally matures.

Started by russell, January 03, 2009, 03:10:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

russell

January 03, 2009, 03:10:38 PM Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:13:51 PM by сноркел
I have found evidence lately that the broad genre of "indie rock" has finally matured and put out some genuinely perfect albums... and I'm talking about hardcore skinny jeans 'n striped shirts in Montreal indie, not like sort-of-indie Interpol or Minus The Bear indie.

So, here are my picks for recent matured and genuinely perfect indie albums:

[img]http://consequenceofsound.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/foalsantidotescover1.jpg[/img]

Antidotes by Foals -- British band, Sub Pop label in USA, dark and warm with something more than generic lo-fi beats. A lot more. Feels like the first fully indie concept album I've ever heard.

[img]http://bp0.blogger.com/_QZqYwab86BI/SHqKN_eFB2I/AAAAAAAAATM/k-pmN_mmd6I/s320/deerhunter_microcastle-album-art.jpg[/img]

Microcastle by Deerhunter -- Although their previous releases were also good, Deerhunter is quickly becoming one of my favorites with this album.

[img]http://www.juquebox.net/juque/Yeasayer%20-%20All%20Hour%20Cymbals%20(2007)/Yeasayer%20-%20All%20Hour%20Cymbals%20(2007).JPG[/img]

All Hour Cymbals by Yeasayer -- A bit less recent (late 2007) than the others I'm listing, but equally good. This one really feels indie, and really feels amazing too. The lyrics, especially, go beyond genre-typical shit.

I urge anyone even mildly a fan of the genre to listen to these, and if you're lazy, at least check out Antidotes. It's pretty cook. 

l a c e y

these deerhunter people aren't very good at singing.
but i must say these foals people are pretty good.
i listend to big big love or whatever.
it's good.

russell

Quote from: l a c e y on January 03, 2009, 03:42:32 PM
these deerhunter people aren't very good at singing.
but i must say these foals people are pretty good.
i listend to big big love or whatever.
it's good.

When I said "real indie and real good" I was referring to Deerhunter's vocalist... I can very well understand disliking it, though.

Ya Antidote is by far my favorite of 2008, I think.

superclucky

I have All Hour Cymbals by Yeasayer.
I like Forgiveness on their album. :3
kewns are smelly

Selkie

January 04, 2009, 09:07:09 AM #4 Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:44:11 AM by Selkie224
Antidotes is interesting.

I honestly find it kind of annoying, but something about it makes me continue to listen to it.

Also, this All Hour Cymbals album is amazing...
It somehow reminds me a lot of George Harrison, idk why...

superclucky

SELKIE WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SONG ON ALL HOUR CYMBALS

I discovered them by Goldfrapp
kewns are smelly

me003

Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

russell

Quote from: steal on January 04, 2009, 03:21:43 PM
I saw Deerhunter a few months ago, or rather, I caught the last 10 minutes of their set while I squeezed my way through the sea of people so I could get closer before Nine Inch Nails took the stage and dominated. Anyways they were kind of boring live from what I managed to see, but I really dig them when I'm in the right mood.

also pretty much my favorite "indie" album ever:

what the fuck deerhunter toured with NIN? how did I manage to miss that show the first time, the re-scheduled time, and the second re-scheduled time  baddood;

Houdini

I listened to the Foals album once. I thought it was ok, but overall it seemed pretty generic, like if you took one of those bands that rips off 80's post-punk and tossed in some TV On The Radio-style atmospheric production.

Hiro

Yeasayer is pretty good, but perfect? Na, I think you missed a few.

Selkie

Quote from: Bat Lightning Heart on January 04, 2009, 01:27:50 PM
SELKIE WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SONG ON ALL HOUR CYMBALS

I discovered them by Goldfrapp

So far Sunrise I think  hocuspocus;

Go Up