July 07, 2024, 07:53:10 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Favorite super-hit songs.

Started by sans culottes, January 01, 2009, 01:16:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

What are some of your favorite big hits? By this I mean songs that everyone knows and are classics to everyone. We all talk about the music that's our personal favorites, but what about the popular music we love?

I'll throw out a few of mine.

Light My Fire by the Doors. It's hard to describe how amazing this song is to me. Everything the Doors did was great, but my favorite Doors song is their biggest hit. The tune is memorable, the vocals are powerful, and I enjoy all seven minutes of it.

Imagine by John Lennon. I can't agree at all with the idealist lyrics, but hey, the whole dreamer style to them is very nice. Imagine, to me, is simply a nice and relaxing song. I'm also amused at how a song so obviously anti-religion can be so beloved by everyone.

American Pie by Don McLean. Possibly the best one hit wonder song ever made. The lyrics are classic, the tune is surprisingly enjoyable even though it's repeated over a span of eight minutes, and I love the way he uses double meanings (ie, "Lennon read the books of Marx"). It's unfortunate that this doesn't make best song ever lists too much.
I support BUSH

Selkie

Hey Jude. That song nearly brings me to tears no matter how many times I have heard it. It's so unbelievably uplifting. It's just one of those songs that can get you through the toughest of times. Even if only for a few minutes.

With Or Without You. Basically the same idea. Maybe less full-blown uplifting, but more personal.

[REDACTED]

I do not have HIV/AIDS.

Samus Aran

Whole Lotta Love. II is by no means even close to my favorite Zepp album, but that song at least definitely holds its own in that album. That killer fucking crunchy riff is a classic, but the solo is always what really gets me. Does Page use just a little bit of wah or something at the very first note in that solo to get it to sound like that?

Oh, and Baba O'Riley is my favorite song by The Who, no matter how "overrated" it is. It's still fucking amazing.

36chambers

I'm not sure what the qualifications for "super-hit" so I'll name a few of my favorite popular songs

Ocean Breathes Salty- Modest Mouse
Once in a Lifetime- Talking Heads
Teenage Riot- Sonic Youth
Gardening at Night- REM
Loser- Beck

russell

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Paper Planes - M.I.A.

the album Dark Side of The Moon

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

I'm also quite a fan of some of the remixes of Kanye's Love Lockdown

Samus Aran

Quote from: 'Ð½Ð¾',кел on January 01, 2009, 10:56:26 PM
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

I agree with this. I very easily consider it their best song by far, and always a good listen.

sans culottes

Quote from: Kaz on January 03, 2009, 08:16:09 PM
I agree with this. I very easily consider it their best song by far, and always a good listen.

Overrated but still very good. I find "Come As You Are", almost as popular as Teen Spirit, their best. But that's jus me.
I support BUSH

Dullahan

I'm not naming them all, but here's a select few:

Fight the Power - Public Enemy
Jeremy - Pearl Jam
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
Nuthin But a G Thang - Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg

I might add more later.

Go Up