October 03, 2024, 09:29:54 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Too simple to be art?

Started by Lotos, December 17, 2008, 09:28:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lotos

I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art yesterday for an Italian field trip (I'm still trying to figure out how this was related to Italian).  Anyway, one of the pieces of "art" I come across is this:

Blue Panel - According to a Flickr user who posted a pic of it, the artist is Ellsworth Kelly made in 1977.

Is it me, or is this a little too simple to be art, or at least what you think of when you hear the word "art".

YPrrrr

What they take as art now is ridiculous

sans culottes

I could dip a canvas in piss and add a few sloppy paintbrush dots and it'd be a successful piece of art. I get the idea of abstract art, but abstract art has a PURPOSE, just like a portrait or a typical painting. If you're not making a picture of something or doing something creative in the way that Escher was creative, it's not art.
I support BUSH

Meyer Lansky

Seems like some of you need to take a basic college-level art class.

Samus Aran

Art is subjectivity at its finest. Take it or leave it.

Daphnia

The finished piece is just a symbol of the process and ideas behind it. Along with a bunch of other bull, but it is art. And it's in the Met for a reason.

Though I do think it's completely retarded to exhibit these things with no explanation.

thezerofire

I guess I'm not really qualified to judge what is "art," but it seems to take no talent to put, say, three vertical line on a canvas.

I could do that as a child.

I mean, it could have some meaning, but not if that meaning isn't properly explained.

Meyer Lansky

Whoever said art takes "talent"?

All you need is a creative mind and some materials... your finished product ends up being what YOU want it to be, and it's art regardless of what anyone else says.

Blaze-Senpai

Maybe behind the blue overlay was a gigantic masterpiece, and the artist say "fuck this doesn't seem like art" and decided to bluewash the entire thing.

Selkie

Wiki: Art is the process or product of deliberately and creatively arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions.

Basically, art is highly subjective. You can't say that isn't art, because somewhere in the world there is someone who would be able to find meaning in that. You can find meaning in everything.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Selkie224 on December 18, 2008, 11:51:04 AM
Wiki: Art is the process or product of deliberately and creatively arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions.

Basically, art is highly subjective. You can't say that isn't art, because somewhere in the world there is someone who would be able to find meaning in that. You can find meaning in everything.
Can I say it's really shitty art

Selkie

YPrrrr

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Art is by far one of the most interesting things to discuss.

like actual art.

So far I don't really see a point in saying "This Isn't Art". Who is to say something isn't art? Who is given that position?

Look at your local suburb. Everything uniform, Everything seemingly the same. It's basic. But is that to say it's not art? It's beautiful in it's own respect.

Sometimes, a person's creative license is stretched, and somethings can be a bit ridiculous when you first think about them (A situation where a man claimed a toilet to be art, for example.) When you first see it, you scoff at it. "A Toilet? What is this? Am I an art owner for having a Toilet? If I have more than one bathroom, am I an art collector?" But if you look deep at it. Look at from the inside. You can kind of get a feel for how this thing is art.

Houdini

Art is art. There is no objective reference by which to determine whether or not a given piece is art. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not art.

Go Up