July 07, 2024, 08:19:59 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Favorite drums

Started by Selkie, December 08, 2008, 01:33:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

As in favorite drum beats on any song.

Mine would have to be Jon Theodore's on Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt's chorus. The chorus at the beginning thats repeated twice. It almost sounds to me as if he's playing backwards, which is really cool  n_u

Basically anything by Jon Theodore, but that's prob my fav.

Selkie

Quote from: steal on December 08, 2008, 01:55:45 PM
For some reason I really appreciate creative drummers a lot more than guitarists or anything else recently. Just off the top of my head, I love the drums in Fortress by Pinback, Airbag by Radiohead, and in Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree, and pretty much everything by Porcupine Tree with Gavin Harrison on drums (every album since 2002).

I could go on forever.

God I love Airbag's drums.

Also, Optimistic

The artist formally known

I love drums so much.

I can't think of any off the top of my head but Oceansize has some awesome beats. Winds is great too.

russell

The drums on the track Las Lagrimas de Arakuine from Omar Rodriguez's solo album Calibration are fucking amazing. I have spent long hours trying to play along to that song.   saddood;

Otherwise, Radiohead's Blowout (from Pablo Honey) will always be one of my favorite drum tracks. It's not really that amazing or complex, just... good.

Selkie

Quote from: russell on December 08, 2008, 06:30:35 PM
The drums on the track Las Lagrimas de Arakuine from Omar Rodriguez's solo album Calibration are fucking amazing. I have spent long hours trying to play along to that song.   saddood;

Otherwise, Radiohead's Blowout (from Pablo Honey) will always be one of my favorite drum tracks. It's not really that amazing or complex, just... good.

I've been meaning to find out, if you know much about Omar's solo stuff what is the best album to get?

Samus Aran

I'm pretty sure that nothing will ever make me love drums more than Led Zepp's "When the Levee Breaks."

russell

Quote from: Selkie224 on December 08, 2008, 06:37:26 PM
I've been meaning to find out, if you know much about Omar's solo stuff what is the best album to get?

They're all different, although in general they've been sliding from psychedelic rock toward electronic experimental art-rock since he started making them. My personal favorite is probably Calibration, because it seems the most complete and has more than a couple awesome tracks. It's kind of dark and brooding and progressive and electronic. Omar Rodriguez (technically by The Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Quintet) is also good and just straight up classic 15-minute-track Omar, but the best track on it is also on The Apocalypse Inside of an Orange, which also has an excellent closing track (Coma Pony).

So basically I'd say that Calibration, Omar Rodriguez, and The Apocalypse Inside of an Orange would all be very good purchases... and they're readily available in the torrent world, too.

Selkie

Quote from: russell on December 08, 2008, 09:18:56 PM
They're all different, although in general they've been sliding from psychedelic rock toward electronic experimental art-rock since he started making them. My personal favorite is probably Calibration, because it seems the most complete and has more than a couple awesome tracks. It's kind of dark and brooding and progressive and electronic. Omar Rodriguez (technically by The Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Quintet) is also good and just straight up classic 15-minute-track Omar, but the best track on it is also on The Apocalypse Inside of an Orange, which also has an excellent closing track (Coma Pony).

So basically I'd say that Calibration, Omar Rodriguez, and The Apocalypse Inside of an Orange would all be very good purchases... and they're readily available in the torrent world, too.

Alright thanks Snorkel

YPrrrr

I love the drums in The Clash's "Tommy Gun"

me003

I've always loved Prefuse 73 because I can never get some of his beats down. Sorry if you don't agree with electronic drums but he's got some complex stizz. This song gets me everytime how he plays with the tempo with the drum beat.
[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBN6NPvn274&feature=related[/youtube][/spoiler]
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

sans culottes

Ginger Baker in general. I love those primal beats he does. Sunshine of Your Love's their big hit, but it also happens to be a good example of this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8SUc2SV4k&feature=related[/youtube]
I support BUSH

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I like the drums in I Zimbra by Talking Heads.

For some raisin, I like not so much drum kits, but stuff like Djimbes and Bongos and Congas and other percussion instruments like that.

Also, Paul Simon's Spirit Voices. That's got some cool drums.

Go Up