October 26, 2024, 08:32:02 AM

1,531,342 Posts in 46,732 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Question for anyone who speaks English as a second language.

Started by Daddy, November 01, 2008, 12:31:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

When you are thinking, do you think in your native language or English?

greg400

I have cousins from Italy who know English as their second language and according to them they always think in English. psyduck;

Thyme

Interesting question. bassir;

It depends on the context. When I'm reading and writing on an English forum, I'll be thinking in English. Otherwise, I'll mostly be thinking in French but sometimes I'll switch to English because it's generally a more efficient language.

YPrrrr

strongbad

Quote from: Kewn on November 01, 2008, 12:31:17 PM
When you are thinking, do you think in your native language or English?

I've always wondered this about people...

ME##

We asked this of a French lady that came to our school last month, she said that when she started learning English she would think in French and then translate it to English, but now that she's more fluent, she thinks in English.

Thyme

Oh, also. O_0

It's hard to explain, but when I want to have more assertive thoughts, I'll think in English. I know, "lol french is gay xD", but as a native speaker I can say that French actually IS somewhat of a "softer" language.

ME##

Quote from: Thyme on November 01, 2008, 12:48:37 PM
Oh, also. O_0

It's hard to explain, but when I want to have more assertive thoughts, I'll think in English. I know, "lol french is gay xD", but as a native speaker I can say that French actually IS somewhat of a "softer" language.

Oh, I have another question, before you could understand English, what did you think it sounded like?

Thyme

Quote from: ME86 on November 01, 2008, 12:51:54 PM
Oh, I have another question, before you could understand English, what did you think it sounded like?

A bunch of gibberish with lots of "er" sounds. giggle;

Especially since in Quebec jargon we use a lot of English words that end with "er". Toaster, blender, tire, muffler, wiper...

ME##

Quote from: Thyme on November 01, 2008, 12:56:02 PM
A bunch of gibberish with lots of "er" sounds. giggle;

Especially since in Quebec jargon we use a lot of English words that end with "er". Toaster, blender, tire, muffler, wiper...

lol I thought French was just a bunch of nasally sounds with a weird gurgling R n_n

Wrench

ME##

Wrench

Quote from: ME86 on November 01, 2008, 01:31:05 PM
'Still drunk?' seems more apt to me.

Considering yesterday was Halloween, you are probably correct.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Headless Horseman on November 01, 2008, 01:27:33 PM
Drunk already? ghouldood;
No, just commenting that Thyme is the only person here who speaks English as a second language scarecrowdood;

ME##

Quote from: Flying Circus on November 01, 2008, 02:03:39 PM
No, just commenting that Thyme is the only person here who speaks English as a second language scarecrowdood;

how do you know that for sure n_n

actually, you completely forgot socks lol.

Go Up