October 01, 2024, 03:15:32 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Someone help me with my essay

Started by Sam, October 20, 2008, 10:15:33 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Sam

So I'm writing an essay on religion and the depiction of god in The Stranger (by Camus) and Oedopus the King.

I don't know how many of you have read the novel, but I assume that a good amount of you have read the Theban plays at least.

But that doesn't actually matter because I really only need advice on the Camus piece. I can't decide whether to view religion as the society (the court and the magistrate) views it in the novel, or as Muersault and Camus view it. If I view it like Muersault it's a HUGE difference between the two works. But they actually have like.. the exact same themes if I write about religion as the court views it. There's even one line when the magistrate asks "Do you want my life to be meaningless?" which is like the entire feeling of the crowd i the Oedipus play.

I just dunno what to do ;-; help ;-;
1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

YPrrrr

But isn't there more than one god in Oedipus?

Sam

Quote from: Flying Circus on October 20, 2008, 11:05:06 AM
But isn't there more than one god in Oedipus?

Technically yeah. They only really refer to Apollo though.

And the main idea is that each person has a set destiny, chosen by the gods. And that free will is simply an illusion. While in The Stranger, the universe is powered by chance, and no God plays any role.
1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

Houdini

I think for The Stranger you should discuss religion as Meursault views it, seeing as though the novel is written from his perspective. I haven't read the Theban plays yet, but writing about religion as society views it in The Stranger would really be missing the point.

russell

if I remember correctly Oedipus is all about fate, and I don't really know the nature of your essay (analysing literature or philosophically general), but you could probably talk about predestination and its implications in modern and classical society.

Go Up