July 04, 2024, 02:28:29 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Do you like reading music critics?

Started by Samus Aran, September 13, 2008, 06:12:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Sometimes I like to read what Robert Christgau has to say, but since he mostly just gives very brief reviews and ratings on his site, I don't take his word too much. But he's still cool to read.

But my favorite critic is George Starostin. He does some pretty in-depth stuff and I tend to agree with him a lot.

Starostin's site: http://starling.rinet.ru/music/index.htm

YPrrrr

C.Mongler

i read pitchfork and av club reviews lol

Matt™

No not really. I don't like the fact critics sometimes tend to be assholes.

Dullahan

No. I don't really like to read reviews bashing bands/artists. I find most critics tend to be bias.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Mallow on September 14, 2008, 07:46:26 AM
No. I don't really like to read reviews bashing bands/artists. I find most critics tend to be bias.

Well duh, of course they're biased according to their own tastes. That's why you need to find one that at least has similar tastes to you, so that you can get more out of what you're reading.

Quote from: ChunkeyMunkey on September 14, 2008, 01:43:25 AM
I don't like the fact critics sometimes tend to be assholes.

Neither of the two I mentioned are really "assholes." They can be a bit mean I guess but it's usually sarcasm.

Houdini

Critics over-intellectualize music without adding any real insight. I prefer just listening to the damn stuff.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on September 14, 2008, 12:04:09 PM
Critics over-intellectualize music without adding any real insight. I prefer just listening to the damn stuff.

I dunno, I seem to get some insight now and then, but of course everyone should prefer just listening and appreciating on their own.

sans culottes

I read Christgau's reviews sometimes. Usually, I only look at reviews to see what album to try when I'm getting into another band.
I support BUSH

Skylark

Not at all.

I remember the last time I did it was about Whispertown2000's Livin' In A Dream

and.. I don't know I Just remember them ragging on Morgan Nagler's voice but that really is a lot of what is good about the band.
I don't like it
the book of right on

Samus Aran

Quote from: steal on September 14, 2008, 07:32:44 PM
Robert Christgau is interesting but often times his opinions are completely whack and his reviews too brief to make any sense. I read a lot of critics and music reviews but I pretty much hate them all.

I'll decide what music I like, thankyouverymuch.

Well duh, you shouldn't let a critic tell you what to like. But I love reading their opinions, even if I don't agree with them at all.

Dullahan

Quote from: Kaz on September 14, 2008, 10:24:35 AM
Well duh, of course they're biased according to their own tastes. That's why you need to find one that at least has similar tastes to you, so that you can get more out of what you're reading.
My point is just hard to come across overall.

Gin

No, I don't need someone to tell me what music is good, I can decide for myself.

Andrew1911

I love to read them. Well, depending on who it is. They can say things that can make me look at a song or an album in a whole different light.

Go Up