July 04, 2024, 02:46:28 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The 60s pop and pop-rock scene

Started by Samus Aran, September 09, 2008, 04:13:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

You know, I'm not normally a pop person at all, but for some reason I have a huge soft spot for acts out of the 60s that were either simply pop or infused the style with rock. No, I'm not just talking about the ever-obvious Beatles and Beach Boys. I'm also talking about acts like Classics IV, Bread, The Hollies and The Zombies.

Oh, and not to say I don't enjoy the big ones like The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and The Kinks, but this thread is more about those other ones that have been all but forgotten by the public.

Do you like this stuff too? I hope I'm not the only one here who does.  baddood;

60s pop/pop-rock bands that I enjoy:

The Hollies (Long Cool Woman was really their only popular song in the US)
Bread
The Zombies
Classics IV
Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs (although some might argue it's more doo-wop than pop)
B.J. Thomas
Three Dog Night (although a little more rock than pop)
The Lovin' Spoonful

Also, let it be known that the above list was rather hard to create, considering that the line between rock and pop is sometimes extremly hard to see. I was rather tempted to put The Yardbirds up there, but I decided that their rock and rhythm & blues sounds quite overpowered much of any pop.

sans culottes

I like a lot of folk-pop from that era, like Cat Stevens and Simon and Garfunkel.

Also, I the Beatles, the Who, and the Kink were great in their pop days, and the Beach Boys. Fuck you, I'll say I like it even if we all do.

And by Beach Boys I do not limit it to Pet Sounds. I Get Around, fuck yeah.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: Co-Z on September 09, 2008, 05:36:40 PM
Simon and Garfunkel.

I was leaning more on considering them folk-rock, but okay.

Hiro

Caesars isn't really from then, but they kinda got that style going

UnagiPower

Quote from: Hiro on September 09, 2008, 06:18:29 PM
Caesars isn't really from then, but they kinda got that style going

no  baddood;

Samus Aran

Quote from: steal on September 09, 2008, 06:38:09 PM
have you heard hemans hermits?

i met the singer guy, peter noone. he was old.

I haven't gotten around to them, but they're one of my last.fm recommendations, so I was going to try to download something by them this weekend or something.

Andrew1911

Beach Boys.

Pet Sounds is the one of the greatest albums ever made. SMiLE would have been able to best it if it weren't for a certain douchefuck known as Mike Love. >:|

Samus Aran

Quote from: Andrew1911in' This Shit Up on September 15, 2008, 10:21:15 PM
Beach Boys.

Pet Sounds is the one of the greatest albums ever made. SMiLE would have been able to best it if it weren't for a certain douchefuck known as Mike Love. >:|

Do you like any of the acts I posted? :(

Andrew1911

Quote from: Kaz on September 15, 2008, 10:23:13 PM
Do you like any of the acts I posted? :(

no they all fuxing sux and u should be ashamed and ur loved ones shuld die 2

[spoiler]Zombies and Three Dog Night rooooooock.[/spoiler]

Go Up