July 04, 2024, 01:48:52 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Albums you used to dislike that have grown on you

Started by Samus Aran, September 06, 2008, 05:31:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Gonna have to go with The Police's Synchronicity. I think the main reason I originally disliked it is because it caught me off-guard. When I first started listening to The Police, I basically just had their biggest hits in my iTunes. "Every Breath You Take" and "King of Pain" are on this album, so that's the original reason I bought it. I suppose back then I thought the album would probably mostly sound like those two songs, but I was pretty much wrong.

The album started out fine for me, but when I got to "Walking in Your Footsteps" I was like "...what" and tried to bear with it. Then that weakling of a song "O My God" came on, and I was pretty disappointed with that. And then, oh christ, "Mother" was like an assault on my poor ears and I think I literally cringed. Then again, the song still makes me cringe.

The point is that the album didn't sound like I thought it would, save for the two songs on it I already knew. But now, I love the album. "Mother" is still such a terrible song, but I quite like everything else on it. "O My God" is still sorta lacking for me, but it's not bad. Both Synchronicity songs are great, and along with "Wrapped Around Your Finger", they've become some of my favorites by Sting (oops, i mean The Police i mean this isn't totally a solo album right lol).

So, your turn. What albums did you once dislike but now enjoy?

superclucky

kewns are smelly

The artist formally known

I didn't like Porcupine Tree at first and I didn't like the old Opeth stuff at first (I listened to their first album before any other album.)

russell

I used to think Dark Side of The Moon was pretty overrated, but now I like it a lot.

Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha, which I did not like save for a couple songs when it came out.

Bedlam In Goliath (The Mars Volta) kind of sucked when it came out, but I've gotten into it a lot more.

I can't think of others... my opinions of albums are usually pretty definite.

Daddy

Black Holes and Revelations

anything by björk lol

C.Mongler

Anything by Joy Division. I know that makes me an idort, but after forcing my way through Unknown Pleasures a few times it really grew on me and now I love some Joy Divisions

Samus Aran

Quote from: russell on September 06, 2008, 06:59:18 PM
I used to think Dark Side of The Moon was pretty overrated, but now I like it a lot.

I still think it's a bit overrated, but I still do love it. I just like Animals and Wish You Were Here more.

And actually, I didn't like Dark Side that much the first time I heard it. It was my first Pink Floyd album and I hadn't really listened to them at all before, or actually any other prog rock band. That was a long time ago.

Skylark

Sufjan Steven's "Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lake State"
Defiance Ohio's "The Great Depression"

others I'm sure.
the book of right on

YPrrrr

Cake's "Prolonging the Magic"

It was very bland to me at first, but now it's one of my favorites.

sans culottes

Dark Side of the Moon is one. I've always liked Time and Money but it took awhile for the rest to grow on me.

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables is another. At first listen, I loved Holiday in Cambodia and California Uber Alles (both I was already familar with), but I didn't really feel the other songs, they felt incomplete, sorta. One day, I gave it a more attentive listen. I found that the songs are much better when you focus on them rather than playing them while you do something else.
I support BUSH

Hiro

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Radiohead's In Rainbows. I used to think that it was an extremely boring album, but after riding with it in the truck alot I'm finding myself singing right along with House of Cards and Jigsaw Falling into Place. Also, All I Need is probably my favorite track up there.

Little Creatures by Talking Heads, I used to think this was a really weak album, and it is if you compare it to Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues, but it's still a damn good album. Give Me Back My Name and The Lady Don't Mind are just awesome. Not to mention Road to Nowhere (which got fucked up when I ripped it onto my computer ;_;), which is probably one of my favorite Heads songs. It's just wonderfully executed and fun to sing along with.

Go Up