October 02, 2024, 09:23:09 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Overrated music artists?

Started by Dullahan, August 12, 2008, 02:03:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Houdini

The Pixies. I like them, but a lot of people treat them like they're gods or something.

sans culottes

Quote from: Selkie224 on August 12, 2008, 07:01:56 PM
No, there's simply something I hate about them that I just plain can't quite put my finger on.

Don't accuse me of hating bands just because they are hugely famous, some of my favorite bands are Radiohead, U2, and Muse

Most Stones haters I know of hate them for being popular, so I tend to make that asumption.

Popularity leads to backlash, which is why there's a lot of music elitists who don't wanna have a mainstream opinion. I know of someone from an internet land far away who will call AC/DC and the Stones, two very popular bands, absolute shit. However, he wouldn't dare insult the Beatles or Led Zeppelin because it'd make him seem like an idiot.

It's just awful when people hate everything popular, unless it's so popular that their hatred would be deemed idocy. Every band with at least a hundred thousand fans is overrated.
I support BUSH

Andrew1911

If anyone says The Stooges, you get a fist up your fucking anus.

Aerosmith, for one. Guns 'N' Roses, for two. AC/DC, for three. something else here

Houdini

Quote from: Andrew1911 on August 12, 2008, 08:58:39 PM
If anyone says The Stooges, you get a fist up your fucking anus.
MC5 is better  :|

Samus Aran

I hate these threads, because my favorite bands are always the ones that everyone else calls "overrated." I'm sure you all know by now that I really do think Led Zeppelin is the greatest band on Earth. That doesn't mean they are, but that's just my personal taste.

I can at least say that The Rolling Stones seem massively overrated to me, though. I was never a huge fan, but that's not to say that I don't like them. I really enjoy a lot of their work.

Dullahan

Quote from: Kazmuffin on August 12, 2008, 09:14:22 PM
I'm sure you all know by now that I really do think Led Zeppelin is the greatest band on Earth. That doesn't mean they are, but that's just my personal taste.
I used to hate these threads. But then I decided "Hey, what the fuck. If these people hate the bands I like, then let 'em" and I'll listen to the music I like. I sarcastically get called a "gangster" for listening to artists like Cypress Hill, Dre, and Eminem. I get called a "fake fan" when I tell people how much I love Yes. And I get a mainstream insult for listening to artists like AC/DC and Guns N' Roses.

I find them to be compliments. It amuses me.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Slum Shady on August 12, 2008, 09:33:59 PM
I used to hate these threads. But then I decided "Hey, what the fuck. If these people hate the bands I like, then let 'em" and I'll listen to the music I like. I sarcastically get called a "gangster" for listening to artists like Cypress Hill, Dre, and Eminem. I get called a "fake fan" when I tell people how much I love Yes. And I get a mainstream insult for listening to artists like AC/DC and Guns N' Roses.

It doesn't really bother much that people think my favorite bands are overrated, it's just that I never really have an argument because they're probably right.

:'(

Houdini

Quote from: Kazmuffin on August 12, 2008, 09:35:15 PM
It doesn't really bother much that people think my favorite bands are overrated, it's just that I never really have an argument because they're probably right.

There is no "right." This is all a matter of opinion, not fact.

Dullahan

Quote from: Kazmuffin on August 12, 2008, 09:35:15 PM

Someone else's opinion is correct?

No.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on August 12, 2008, 09:36:15 PM
There is no "right." This is all a matter of opinion, not fact.

Yeah, true. doodthing;

C.Mongler

Aerosmith, AC/DC, Muse, The Mars Volta, etc.

Houdini

Quote from: C Mongler on August 12, 2008, 09:50:58 PM
Aerosmith, AC/DC, Muse, The Mars Volta, etc.
I agree about Muse, but they were good live.

sans culottes

I support BUSH

FAMY2

Quote from: Slum Shady on August 12, 2008, 09:33:59 PM

I find I like certain songs more so than all of anyones work. I guess it's more the song has to say something to me and the music has to catch my imagination.

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Co-Z on August 13, 2008, 12:52:44 AM
Were?
When he saw them, probably.

And I agree, Muse is fucking awesome live. baddood;

Go Up