September 24, 2024, 11:27:56 PM

1,531,321 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Dirty/Clean Musicians?

Started by Dullahan, July 18, 2008, 03:06:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dullahan

My friend once told me that drugs were an important part of music today but I try to think up some artists who were particularly clean throughout their whole career. At the top of my head, I can only think of Elton John and Radiohead as a select couple of good "clean" artists. And I'm not positive if they are particularly clean either.

I can definitely think of more artists who entered into drug use and drug abuse such as Aerosmith, Eric Clapton, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Freddie Mercury, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Guns N' Roses, and Sublime. But I still don't think that you need to be a druggie in order to make good music. Can anyone make a fair list and draw a line between artists who have made good music without the use of drugs and artists who have? I made this thread for the sake that I just plain want to know.

Keep in mind that it's your opinion.

Feynman

eminem powerofone;

and farhad darya are dirty

Geno

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

sans culottes

An easy one to think of is Ted Nugent. He was and still is very very anti-drug. Which adds to the irony of him playing Journey to the Center of the Mind with the Amboy Dukes.

There are also many bands who weren't druggies, but I'm sure most bands have probably smoked some weed at some point. You never hear about bands like Van Halen doing drugs, but they've definitely tried it at some point.

There's less drug influenced music than music that isn't drug influenced. But I bet that 9 out of 10 rock musicians have probably tried something before.
I support BUSH

Houdini

Frank Zappa was fiercely anti-drug.

Dullahan

Quote from: Co-Z on July 18, 2008, 04:43:16 PM
An easy one to think of is Ted Nugent. He was and still is very very anti-drug. Which adds to the irony of him playing Journey to the Center of the Mind with the Amboy Dukes.

There are also many bands who weren't druggies, but I'm sure most bands have probably smoked some weed at some point. You never hear about bands like Van Halen doing drugs, but they've definitely tried it at some point.

There's less drug influenced music than music that isn't drug influenced. But I bet that 9 out of 10 rock musicians have probably tried something before.
Wow, he acts pretty crazy for an anti-drug.

Daddy

sans culottes

Quote from: Houdini on July 18, 2008, 05:41:57 PM
Frank Zappa was fiercely anti-drug.

You'd think he'd be on something.
Quote from: quaiowe on July 18, 2008, 06:08:49 PM
Wow, he acts pretty crazy for an anti-drug.

"Pretty crazy" is an understatement.
I support BUSH

Selkie

I don't think Rush were influenced by drugs

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

David Byrne wasn't on anything I think, and he is pretty out there.
Peter Gabriel is also amazing, and I haven't heard of any drugs influencing him.

And Elton John was addicted to something during the eighties, but I can't remember what.

Wrench

Green Day were all drugs and booze until recent years. They started limiting themselves. Billie Joe gave up weed and Mike controls his drinking.

sans culottes

Quote from: Wrench on July 29, 2008, 01:15:04 PM
Green Day were all drugs and booze until recent years. They started limiting themselves. Billie Joe gave up weed and Mike controls his drinking.

Maybe that's why American Idiot blowed.
I support BUSH

YPrrrr

Go Up