October 01, 2024, 03:15:14 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Death Note...

Started by KonohaShinobi, June 29, 2008, 09:22:11 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

KonohaShinobi

Do not read any more of this thread if you have not finished either the anime or the manga version of the amazing series known as Death Note as for this thread and it's comments will contain major spoilers concerning the plot and it's characters

Death Note is the second anime I have ever shed tears and have truly been grateful I have been able to watch in it's entirety. I didn't understand why Light ran away but that scene was beautiful as he ran away from being kira and ran into becoming Light Yagami, but only for a short time as Ryuuk had to take his life away sparing him years of agaony and interrogation from the japanese police and the SPK.

After having now seen the entire story, my favorite character is still Light. I just fell in love with him from the moment he picked up the Death Note. Besides Light I really enjoyed how Misa came into the story and made herself a major player in at least the first part of the story (The first part being up until L's death and that 6 year time skip) and was still a key player in the second part (I loved how jealous she was of Takada spending all that time with Light, and I loved how subtle their relationship was, like how when Light was frustrated about something at work and he made her write down names in the notebook for him <3).

So yeah, now I am going to relive the story and buy the complete series of Death Note
( http://www.justmanga.com/jmprod/DEATHNOTECOMP That's the cheapest box set I could find and I could just bundle it with Vol. 13) and see how it was so different from the anime's ending and in some of the scenes.
And I also found this replica of Light's Death Note I am thinking of buying for about $20 just to have.

Any of you love Death Note as much as I did? Discuss.

Trini

I read about halfway and for bored and stopped reading I liked it. But I already know the spoilers. I'll probably finish it one day.
[CENTER][/center]

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: Trini on June 29, 2008, 09:29:11 AM
I read about halfway and for bored and stopped reading I liked it. But I already know the spoilers. I'll probably finish it one day.

Do it today

Geno

I watched it

But yes that final scene was beautiful
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Placebo Headwound

I started watching like the day before yesterday and I'm already almost done with it.

what the fuck N is some shitty L wannabe baddood;

ME##

Quote from: Thief888 on July 02, 2008, 12:04:26 PM
I started watching like the day before yesterday and I'm already almost done with it.

what the fuck N is some shitty L wannabe baddood;

If I recall, in the 13th volume it explained that all the kids at Wammy House were potential successors to L... Or possibly I'm remembering something that's completely untrue, idk I can't find the 13th volume for some reason.

also I still find it hard to believe that Near was supposed to be 21 at the end of the series. |:

Sam

I loved Death Note too.. but not quite for Light so much. In fact, as much as I like Light as a character, I think the story is more about his destruction as a good person. He began with the great idea of making the world a better place, killing criminals and sparing the innocent. However, as the story progressed, he clearly became a bit wrapped up in his own affairs and cared less about making the new world perfect, but more about being in charge of the new world.

My favorite episode is episode 7, when the wife of Ray Penbar was convinced to commit suicide. It really shows how clever Light is... and how heartless. Yes, there is the sense of "one life to save countless mroe", but neither Ray Penbar nor hiw wife did anything wrong, the simply threatened Light's position.

And then L's death was just.. beautiful. He knew Light was Kira, and it crushed him. Partially because he couldn't find a way to fully pin it on him, but mostly because Light was like the first friend he had ever had. I can't remember exactly what he said in his final episode, but it was something along the lines of "You're the same as me." (awww) and "Since you were born, have you ever told the truth?"
And the foor rub scene starts... the portarait is that of.. submission. L tells light he's sorry plenty oftimes in this episode as well. And he ends the foor rub with.. "I'm sad... You will understand soon."
  I wasn't quite sure what he meant by that... I could have been that he knew his death was coming... or it could have been that he knew he would soon have proof of light being kira.. or it could be that he knew that after his death, Light would feel the same lonliness that he had been feeling all along.
And as for the actual death... at the exact moment of L's heart attavck.. Light was denuinely sad. The glowing red eyes of Kira were temporarily seperated from his own brown ones, and he looks sad and scared. He dove to catch L, and his eyes began to water. But when the red eyes found their way back... the familiar smirk came back to light's face.

And you know, I still had hope for Light. As much as I LOVED L and couldn't stand that Light cut him down like that, I knew there was still some good in hime. Well... all the hope I ahd was completely shattered when takada finally committed suicide. At that point, I completely and utterly hated Light. He had become a complete arrogant asshole, selfish in his desire to be the sole  creator of this "new world". He was using and cutting down every person in his pass, whether bad or good. Takada may not have been the greatest women around, but she genuinely loved Light and Kira... and he used her for his own personal gain, then let her die like it was nothing, sobbing in the back of an abandoned truck because the pone person she loves and trusts doesn't give a shit.

As for his death... I like the way he went. Matsuda finally grew a pair, for one. And Near, the living extension of L, totally made Light look like a fool. I don't think Light was running from being Kira though... I think he was running simply from his persuers.  He did lose... a bit of his sanity back in that warehouse (which was quite entertaining, I must say) and he was just running, looking for a way to get away from it all. he sill wanted to save his own ass.... perhaps this could be seen as running away from being Kira.. but what other choice did he have? He was dead either way.

And Ryuk killing light wasn't quite "sparing" him from anything.. it was simply his time to go. He was losing blood, big time. Ryuk never felt anything for Light, he found the entire thing amusing.

I do think Light cared a bit for Misa... but it's hard to tell. Misa is the only one Light was able to confide in. I do feel that the feelings she has for Light aren't mutual, he definitely thinks of her in a different way.
[spoiler]Someone told me she committed suiced a few years later, on February 14. I don't know where they read that, but if it's true- sad. :([/spoiler]

Also, has anybody seen the supposed 2-hour-long episode 38? Supposedly it's the story as retold by Ryuk. I've heard of it several times, but never came across it, nor have I actually talked to anyone who has seen it.
1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

ME##

Quote from: Sammie on July 02, 2008, 01:48:17 PM
[spoiler]Someone told me she committed suiced a few years later, on February 14. I don't know where they read that, but if it's true- sad. :([/spoiler]

[spoiler]They got that from the 13th volume, it also explains that the girl seen on the second to last page isn't Amane. And if I recall she killed herself in 2011 so just a little over a year from when Light died.[/spoiler]

Placebo Headwound

July 02, 2008, 04:12:57 PM #8 Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:32:10 PM by Thief888
I'm torrenting this supposed 2-hour episode 38 right now. baddood;

Edit: And I think this torrent is dead. The thing apparently has an alternate ending, but that's about the only thing worth watching it for.

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: Sammie on July 02, 2008, 01:48:17 PM
I loved Death Note too.. but not quite for Light so much. In fact, as much as I like Light as a character, I think the story is more about his destruction as a good person. He began with the great idea of making the world a better place, killing criminals and sparing the innocent. However, as the story progressed, he clearly became a bit wrapped up in his own affairs and cared less about making the new world perfect, but more about being in charge of the new world.

Yes, I think that was one of the major themes in the story, that although things may begin with the greatest of intentions they ultimately become as demonic as the forces they are trying to cast away. Such a simple message, but the way it is portrayed is just amazing and Light being the portrayal of this message was a great choice.

QuoteMy favorite episode is episode 7, when the wife of Ray Penbar was convinced to commit suicide. It really shows how clever Light is... and how heartless. Yes, there is the sense of "one life to save countless mroe", but neither Ray Penbar nor hiw wife did anything wrong, the simply threatened Light's position.

ahh, yes, I forgot all about that one since it was earlier into the series, but yeah it was a great one. I loved the one before it when Light wrote down her alias onto a slip of the death note and the tensioned was mounted so much that I was literally on the edge of my seat and then it ended up failing and the whole time Ryuuk was laughing his ass off, lol, because Light didn't think of the idea of anyone using fake names.

QuoteAnd then L's death was just.. beautiful. He knew Light was Kira, and it crushed him. Partially because he couldn't find a way to fully pin it on him, but mostly because Light was like the first friend he had ever had. I can't remember exactly what he said in his final episode, but it was something along the lines of "You're the same as me." (awww) and "Since you were born, have you ever told the truth?"
And the foor rub scene starts... the portarait is that of.. submission. L tells light he's sorry plenty oftimes in this episode as well. And he ends the foor rub with.. "I'm sad... You will understand soon."
  I wasn't quite sure what he meant by that... I could have been that he knew his death was coming... or it could have been that he knew he would soon have proof of light being kira.. or it could be that he knew that after his death, Light would feel the same lonliness that he had been feeling all along.

Aww, L's death was so disheartening. And I partially agree with  whether or not Light was genuinely sad about L's death, but you could ask the same thing of his father's death. Anyway, yes, L's death would probably have saddened him at first because he really had gotten close to L and L himself had constantly stated that he thought of Light as a friend and Light never really had many friends (if you don't count his liaisons). And after his brief moment of sadness went back on to creating his new world, that is until Near came along, or should I say Nate River.

QuoteAs for his death... I like the way he went. Matsuda finally grew a pair, for one. And Near, the living extension of L, totally made Light look like a fool. I don't think Light was running from being Kira though... I think he was running simply from his persuers.  He did lose... a bit of his sanity back in that warehouse (which was quite entertaining, I must say) and he was just running, looking for a way to get away from it all. he sill wanted to save his own ass.... perhaps this could be seen as running away from being Kira.. but what other choice did he have? He was dead either way.

The reason I thought of his running as more metaphorical for his Kira persona because Near didn't make much of an effort to catch him since he knew he wouldn't get very far anyway.
Also, has anybody seen the supposed 2-hour-long episode 38? Supposedly it's the story as retold by Ryuk. I've heard of it several times, but never came across it, nor have I actually talked to anyone who has seen it.

Ooh, this is new to me.

Sam

Quote from: Amigo on July 02, 2008, 04:09:16 PM
I wish I had a girl like Misa. giggle;

I really like Misa towards the end of the series, but at the beginning I feel like she was just an air-headed slut.

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: Thief888 on July 02, 2008, 04:12:57 PM
I'm torrenting this supposed 2-hour episode 38 right now. baddood;

Edit: And I think this torrent is dead. The thing apparently has an alternate ending, but that's about the only thing worth watching it for.

So is it real?

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on July 02, 2008, 04:44:31 PM
So is it real?
Yeah, its real. It was a special they aired or something.

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: Thief888 on July 02, 2008, 04:52:51 PM

Alright

Sam

Quote from: Thief888 on July 02, 2008, 04:52:51 PM

Yeah, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding it.  baddood;

Go Up