June 24, 2024, 06:36:19 AM

1,531,270 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

2008 Election Thread

Started by Houdini, June 08, 2008, 10:27:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

daaaaaaaaa

Obama
41 (71.9%)
McCain
6 (10.5%)
Nader
6 (10.5%)
token Libertarian candidate
4 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Go Down

Socks

Quote from: JMV on July 17, 2008, 05:39:58 PM
If McCain wins there will be no freedom on the internet.

Cool.

Daddy

YPrrrr

Quote from: JMV on July 17, 2008, 05:39:58 PM
If McCain wins there will be no freedom on the internet.
I find that hard to believe...

Meta Ridley

Obama fails, and so does everyone who supports him. Case and point is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3_jh2dO78U

No matter who wins, the US is still screwed. No one will change anything. However, anyone who falls for obama's pathetic attempts at promising peace and change in america is dumb. 100% serious.

I hate all the candidates, and I hate politicians. But if I had to choose, id go with McCain.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Meta Ridley on July 18, 2008, 11:31:06 AM
Obama fails, and so does everyone who supports him. Case and point is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3_jh2dO78U

No matter who wins, the US is still screwed. No one will change anything. However, anyone who falls for obama's pathetic attempts at promising peace and change in america is dumb. 100% serious.

I hate all the candidates, and I hate politicians. But if I had to choose, id go with McCain.
I'm not liking Obama much of late, but anything is better than that dumb cunt McCain.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Socks

Quote from: JMV on July 18, 2008, 08:26:44 AM
You're worse than Lawlz at debating.

Why would I debate silliness?

Daddy

Quote from: Socks on July 18, 2008, 08:33:02 PM
Why would I debate silliness?
It's not a silly issue.  McCain doesn't support Net Neutrality: Obama does.  And it's not just the freedom to use something like Boyah that would be at risk.  ISPs would be able to filter whatever content they please(as they have already begun throttling p2p traffic).  Tiered services would put many people at a disadvantage.  Regardless of who you are, you have access to the same information as anyone else with an internet connection.  If you're poor you can access the same sites as the wealthy without your ISP deciding otherwise.  Freedom of speech is covered under it.

The great thing about freedom on the internet is that people can find almost anything(even if it's the occasional not so good thing) instantly--without government censorship.

There have been governmental attempts to try editing Wikipedia(I believe it was the FBI or DHS doing it) to make certain articles seem more favorable.  Freedom on the internet allowed the misinformation to be fixed.  Sites like Wikileaks are only possible with such freedom.
Without net neutrality such freedom to access accurate information quickly will be compromised.

Don't even get me started on china style censorship that would be possible without net neutrality.

So, before saying such is "silliness" think things through and think about all of the Candidate's policies.

Socks

The internet does not belong to the US, it can't police it.

Daddy

Quote from: Socks on July 18, 2008, 09:04:15 PM
The internet does not belong to the US, it can't police it.
It can, however, police the activity that goes on inside of it. A simple DNS block or redirect can prevent citizens from accessing the sites.  They can shut down the physical servers if they're hosted in the country.  It's highly possible. I know some ISPs currently block sites like 4Chan.  Schools block websites: think of that on a grand scale.  It happens in China, Saudi Arabia, and several other Middle Eastern nations.  It can, and if network neutrality isn't protected will, happen here.

I can go into technical details here but I doubt you want to hear all of the computer type stuff, but I know what I'm talking about here.

Socks

Never happen, the internet represents an ever increasing economic powerhouse, and that means lobbyists, not to mention that it is being integrated into everyday life more and more. As time goes on not only will these things increase but so will the demographics constantly change in favor of a generation who has grown up with it since day one.

Or you can always move to Canada.

Daddy

Quote from: Socks on July 18, 2008, 09:24:02 PM
Never happen, the internet represents an ever increasing economic powerhouse, and that means lobbyists
You mean like the RIAA? Or how the Government has already attempted to shutdown sites like wikileaks, or how the ISPs themselves don't support net neutrality?
Quotenot to mention that it is being integrated into everyday life more and more. As time goes on not only will these things increase but so will the demographics constantly change in favor of a generation who has grown up with it since day one.
Changing to something that is becoming more acceptable?  A conservative?  What?

QuoteOr you can always move to Canada.
naw b.  If I move anywhere it's going to be Sweden.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Socks on July 18, 2008, 09:24:02 PM
Never happen, the internet represents an ever increasing economic powerhouse, and that means lobbyists, not to mention that it is being integrated into everyday life more and more. As time goes on not only will these things increase but so will the demographics constantly change in favor of a generation who has grown up with it since day one.

Or you can always move to Canada.
I can't see it not happening.

Why wouldn't the government want to censor the internet so that only favorable information reaches the people?  Why would they want regular people like us getting rich overnight by providing cheap or free services to the people and not stuffing any money in their pockets? Having to pay for individual websites like we do TV channels would make ISPs, the government, and existing big companies even richer, so why wouldn't they support it?

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

guff

Houdini

Quote from: Commodore Guff on July 19, 2008, 10:13:26 AM
toh doodthing;
Speak for yourself. I am now thoroughly convinced that Barack Obama would make a bad president because I watched a cartoon on Youtube.

mariofreak

Quote from: Silent Rob on July 14, 2008, 04:29:54 AM
Barr wasn't that bad in the House (i think it was).

He's better than McCain and Obama.

McCain has voters cause he's the famous white republican. Obama is getting voters because he's black.
Of course you might think he's better. That doesn't mean voting for him will affect anything at all.

Go Up