September 27, 2024, 12:24:06 AM

1,531,323 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

So um 2012 will be the death of the internet...

Started by Commander Fuckass, June 01, 2008, 06:44:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Feynman

Nyerp

Classic

Quote from: asdf on June 01, 2008, 07:56:06 PM
TYLER IS BOYAH'S ENEMY AND SHALL BE ELIMINATED

Aren't you gonna be banned soon?

Nyerp

Classic

Nyerp

Daddy

Snorkel

Quote from: JMV on June 01, 2008, 07:49:37 PM
Don't worry, I'll start our own ISP.  baddood;

I was actually thinking about how to do that earlier

An interesting thing to think about is all the other news that's been coming out about alternate world networks on the rise... the one CERN is building for research purposes, for instances, includes 250,000 fiber-optic linked servers around the world, or something. This thing I was reading was saying that after CERN is done with it, it could likely be the beginning of a brand new "internet" that would allow for things like full-length movie downloads in a couple seconds because all the servers are linked by fiber optics instead of the shitty phone lines that most things use now.

So, if corporation-internet-takeover doesn't get ruled out by Federal law, the question is which will come first: a completely new internet or ISP consolidation.

strongbad

Quote from: Snorkel on June 01, 2008, 07:42:26 PM
Do you think in the 60's anyone though that the hits on the radio would be conceived, written, and directed by a team of completely unmusical individuals, and then more or less forced onto the music channels of everyday consumers? Definitely not. But that's what we have now.

Do you think, before it happened, that anyone thought that a few individuals would someday own almost all of the major media and entertainment companies in the country? Nope. But that's what's happening now.

It has happened and is happening to everything, and it's only a matter of time before it happens to the internet.

I still can't see it happening, just because of how many business would be destroyed as an effect. Our economy would be so fucked if this all happened.

Snorkel

Quote from: Dave on June 01, 2008, 08:03:34 PM
I still can't see it happening, just because of how many business would be destroyed as an effect. Our economy would be so fucked if this all happened.

The people who would be profiting wouldn't (and don't)  care, and it wouldn't make a difference to them. That's how capitalism works. n_u

36chambers

This seriously makes no sense and I can't see it happening.

Go Up