September 28, 2024, 04:30:33 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

In this topic we try to expand our musical tastes.

Started by Daddy, May 16, 2008, 04:45:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

After looking at our Last.FM group's top artist list and seeing pretty much the same stuff week after week I decided this might be a good idea.  baddood;

Pick a genre that you rarely, if ever, listen to(or if you listen to a lot then pick one that you're lacking in) and post it.  Name some artists that you listen to from that genre(if don't have any, that's fine I guess. Just list some that you might listen to from another genre and state what genre it is). 

If some one who listens to the genre posted shows up, they can post some recommendations and then ask for suggestions for their genre.  Please try not to ignore a user, make sure everyone has a chance to experience new music.  baddood;

ok I'll start.

Heavy Metal.  I have some Megadeth(wait is that heavy metal, idk) and Shadows Fall.

Samus Aran

I was going to post a thread like this yesterday but my laziness forced me to play my DS instead.

Heavy metal? Iron Maiden is my favorite for that genre. Metallica is also good, and is kind of a "must-try" for everyone trying to get into metal, considering how acclaimed they are and such (albeit overrated). You've already got Megadeth covered, I see...umm...you could try maybe offshooting a bit and trying some prog metal as well, like Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree. Or for a weird mix of like every kind of metal you could think of, Primus.

Other than that, I don't have much metal.

For my genre, I'll put downtempo electronic. This includes things like trance, ambience, etc. Trip hop is also welcome. I've already got ATB, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Sasha (only one song though), and Portishead.

UnagiPower

Claquesous

Rap.

Oh hi JMV. I already like Immortal Technique and Jedi Mind.

And metal, or whatever kind of stuff Opeth is. I prefer their acoustic stuff though.

Skylark

the book of right on

Andrew1911

Rap

Kanye West, Mos Def, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, The Roots, Black Star, etc.

for my genre rock i suppose  baddood;

C.Mongler

Metal. The only I listen to is Mastadon, and at the very most I only find them standable. SPOILERS: You won't be able to fidn something I like.

Houdini

Quote from: C. Mongler on May 16, 2008, 09:50:26 PM
SPOILERS: You won't be able to fidn something I like.
Then what are you doing in this thread?

But anyway, I'd recommend Queens of the Stone Age for accessible metal, plus maybe Tool and A Perfect Circle. If you're daring, check out the Melvins too.

Houdini

Quote from: skylark-e on May 16, 2008, 09:07:17 PM
Punk

I already have Crass and Reagan Youth
Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, The Clash, the Circle Jerks, and if you have a sense of humor, the Dead Milkmen. Knock yourself out. Also check out the Meat Puppets, even though they're not really a punk band.

Houdini

Quote from: Claquesous on May 16, 2008, 08:34:26 PM
Rap.

Oh hi JMV. I already like Immortal Technique and Jedi Mind.

And metal, or whatever kind of stuff Opeth is. I prefer their acoustic stuff though.
If you like Opeth, you might like Pelican. That's the best I can do, though. Opeth is peerless.

The artist formally known

Black Metal, yes I fucking love Borknagar's first album and everything ever from Taake, thats about all I listen to thats black metal so I started to try some new stuff. The more raw the vocals are, the better.

Snorkel

Quote from: Kaz on May 16, 2008, 05:09:52 PM
For my genre, I'll put downtempo electronic. This includes things like trance, ambience, etc. Trip hop is also welcome. I've already got ATB, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Sasha (only one song though), and Portishead.

Bonobo is excellent, Thievery Corporation's album The Mirror Conspiracy is a gem, Zero 7's Simple Things has some awesome chillout tracks.

My genre would have to be post-rock. This is a genre I don't listen to nearly enough... M83, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Red Sparowes, and 65daysofstatic are really all I have, and I feel like there's amazing bands out there in this genre.

Otherwise the only genres I don't listen to semifrequently are various brands of really heavy metal, which I have absolutely no interest in. The closest I'll get to metal is Katatonia or Tool.

Oh, actually, folk in general is something I don't listen to a lot. The Mountain Goats and various indie/folk artists like Sufjan Stevens, but not too much true folky folk. I'd take recommendations there.

Placebo Headwound

OK, uh...

I never listen to rap or trip-hop or pretty much any genre that goes out of some form of rock/metal too much.

Guys I need help. :'(

Snorkel

Quote from: Thief888 on May 17, 2008, 05:24:48 PM
OK, uh...

I never listen to rap or trip-hop or pretty much any genre that goes out of some form of rock/metal too much.

Trip-hop/Acid Jazz: Bonobo, The Avalanches, AIR, Cut Copy (more just electronica), Thievery Corporation
Gypsy rock (more awesome than one would think): Gogol Bordello, Devotchka
Whiskey rock: Murder By Death, The Snake The Cross The Crown, The Black Heart Procession, Kid Dakota
Swing/jazz/indie: Squirrel Nut Zippers, Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire

Random things off the top of my head. Use http://last.fm to sample any of them.

famy

Quote from: Thief888 on May 17, 2008, 05:24:48 PM
OK, uh...

lol Wu-Tang Clan

gimme some trippy ass psychedelic rock shit

Go Up