September 28, 2024, 04:16:22 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Folk Metal

Started by Lozal, May 13, 2008, 06:56:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lozal

What are some good folk metal bands besides Finntroll and Korpiklaani?

I love this shit, and I'd like some more good bands.
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

LCK

Otyg
Borknagar
Vintersorg

That's all I really know, but I love it all.

The artist formally known

Quote from: Mr. CanKick on May 13, 2008, 07:45:03 PM
Otyg
Borknagar
Vintersorg

That's all I really know, but I love it all.
Borknagar isn't folk metal

But yes, Vintersorg (the person) is awesome since he is in all of those bands

LCK

Quote from: reefer on May 13, 2008, 08:24:41 PM
Borknagar isn't folk metal

But yes, Vintersorg (the person) is awesome since he is in all of those bands
i must be thinking of something else then :(

Quote from: steal on May 13, 2008, 08:41:10 PM
borknagar isn't completely folk metal, but thumbup;

Also listen to Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, Tyr, Turisas, and Orphaned Land (mabool is by far their best album).
just thumbup; ?

borknagar is one of my faovirte bands ever. like top 3

Quote from: steal on May 13, 2008, 09:23:55 PM
they're like in my top 15 or 20, I dunno, I just don't like black metal much, and their acoustic album is good, but not amazing

Epic is an amazing album though. I picked up their first album because I saw it for 5 bucks (used) and it's not terrible but damn, i don't understand the appeal of having that sketchy production values. a bit of an edge is often better than crystal clear production, but a lot of black metal just goes too far over the line for my tastes
Oh man! Empiricism and Epic is what got me into them and the duo vocals kept me listening. The sketchy recording was only on the first album really, and the recording went up from there, their newest album is pretty boring in my opinion, my least favorite of all of them.

ICS Vortex's vocals (he was in the 3rd album) are so fucking amazing, Probably one of the reasons why I also love Arcturus so much. Then Gorm was amazing as well, he was in their first two albums as well as some of the earlier Arcturus work. And then of course, Vintersorg, what can this guy not do? He's in many many great great great bands

Listen to Future Reminiscence and tell me that they're just okay. That song is so fucking amazing.

And I love their first song off of their first album, Vintervredets Sjelesagn. God there is something about driving late at night and just signing along to the deep voices that sing "haaaa!". Seriously, and the vocals are so fucking awesome to sing to. I love Borknagar so much.

But they're not even close to folk metal, their newest album is folk but not metal which is disappointing.

Quote from: steal on May 13, 2008, 09:23:55 PM
they're like in my top 15 or 20, I dunno, I just don't like black metal much, and their acoustic album is good, but not amazing

Epic is an amazing album though. I picked up their first album because I saw it for 5 bucks (used) and it's not terrible but damn, i don't understand the appeal of having that sketchy production values. a bit of an edge is often better than crystal clear production, but a lot of black metal just goes too far over the line for my tastes
Oh and I have no idea how you think that Epic is sketchy production values at all, you've must have bought their earlier stuff or something, that album is crystal clear compared to their earlier albums.

I don't know why or how but I just love their first album even though the recording is shit, maybe because of his growl it makes it feel just right, how it was supposed to be made. How it is supposed to sound.

Houdini

Hardcore

Houdini

sans culottes

Hey guys,

define folk metal.
I support BUSH

Houdini

Quote from: Co-Z on May 15, 2008, 06:07:25 AM
Hey guys,

define folk metal.
It's what you get when you cross Megadeth with pre-Newport Bob Dylan.

Quote from: steal on May 14, 2008, 07:53:04 PM
Future Reminiscence is one of my favorite borknagar songs, along with traveler and the wonder
i was only complaining about the sketchy production on the first album, i love Epic. I have Epic, borknagar, and origin and Epic is the only one i really love. Which albums should I get next?
Empiricism

Empiricism and Epic are a lot a like.

Their first album is so fucking awesome, I listened to it on the way home today. God I go fucking crazy when I listen to it if I'm the only on in my car, I can't ever get enough of it late at night driving home.

Probably the only band I can head bang too, even if I'm not seeing them live, is Borknagar.

Go Up