September 28, 2024, 04:28:56 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Post-rock....and shit...

Started by Lovefoxxx, April 26, 2008, 07:52:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

Quote from: steal on April 26, 2008, 08:06:01 PM
I listen to a bit of post rock, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of it. It's absolutely wonderful if you're in the right mood though. Godspeed You! Black Emperor is essential, and Sigur Rós. Explosions in the Sky is good too. Fantômas is like avant-garde metal with ambient and post-rock tendencies, but you'd enjoy them too.

also I saw this band called The End that sounds a lot like Nuerosis, but they sucked dick. My friend says they sound better in studio though, so you might want to check them out.

oh damn I forgot about Godspeed

Lift Your Skinny Fists is one of my favorite albums

Snorkel

Quote from: Co-Z on April 26, 2008, 11:32:47 PM
Depends on where they would be.

Seattle = early ninties, they're in a grunge band, success
Elsewhere = shitty hairband that no one cares about because nirvana is the new big thing

(By ten to fifteen years older I meant modern postrgrunge like Hinder, not the bands from the mid to late ninties)

Um, you've wholly left out the Boston and LA "alternative" scenes that evolved at the time of or slightly before Nirvana

sans culottes

Quote from: Snorkel on April 27, 2008, 08:45:14 AM
Um, you've wholly left out the Boston and LA "alternative" scenes that evolved at the time of or slightly before Nirvana

yeah yeah, those too.

There were lots of scenes in the eighties, I'm just using the hairband streotype.
I support BUSH

Houdini

Quote from: Co-Z on April 26, 2008, 11:32:47 PM
(By ten to fifteen years older I meant modern postrgrunge like Hinder, not the bands from the mid to late ninties)
Oh, oops. In that case, they'd be the Stone Temple Pilots.

Quote from: Snorkel on April 27, 2008, 08:45:14 AM
Somehow, I can't picture Hinder sounding like the Pixies.

sans culottes

Quote from: Houdini on April 27, 2008, 11:28:43 AM
Oh, oops. In that case, they'd be the Stone Temple Pilots.

Somehow, I can't picture Hinder sounding like the Pixies.

Hinder's one of those bands who could have done something good, but they decided to suck.
I support BUSH

Houdini

Quote from: Co-Z on April 27, 2008, 12:55:57 PM
Hinder's one of those bands who could have done something good, but they decided to suck.
Well, they're certainly competent musicians, if that's what you're getting at. Personally, I think they would still end up sounding like made-for-radio commercial crap-rock.

sans culottes

Quote from: Houdini on April 27, 2008, 12:58:21 PM
Well, they're certainly competent musicians, if that's what you're getting at. Personally, I think they would still end up sounding like made-for-radio commercial crap-rock.

Probably. Their singer strikes me as an "I'm a rockstar, bitch" kinda guy.
I support BUSH

The artist formally known

Quote from: Houdini on April 26, 2008, 09:41:33 PM
I'm not sure if I would call Scott Walker post-rock.
i wouldn't either but i want people to listen to it  befuddlement

Daphnia

Lift You Skinny Fists is superb. As is Mogwai.

Experimental Aircraft is more sort of post metal, and pretty amazing.

Some of Red Sparowes is quite good. Explosions too.

Go Up