September 28, 2024, 04:26:40 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Full Watershed leak (Opeth)

Started by Lovefoxxx, April 25, 2008, 04:00:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lovefoxxx

Placebo Headwound

Its fucking awesome.

No where near as heavy as their other albums, though.

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: steal on April 25, 2008, 06:57:07 PM
I love how easy it is to spot out the new guitarist's solos, he's such a shredder, but it somehow works for Opeth.
Yeah, he can pretty much beat the crap out of Mikael in terms of guitar skills, Mikael even admitted it himself. powerofone;

Mikael is still the king of riffs though.

Lovefoxxx

Are you serious? If anything it's way heavier. Mikael's growls sound deeper than ever, and there's a lot of more metal drumming going on. Blast beats in The Lotus Eater, and goddamn, Heir Apparent is fucking intense. Definitely one of their heaviest songs ever.

It's strange how it sounds more mainstream yet more progressive at the same time. befuddlement

I love how easy it is to spot out the new guitarist's solos, he's such a shredder, but it somehow works for Opeth. Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, Burden, and Hessian Peel are my faves based on my first two listens.

meh, i think this is probably their most generic album so far, i mean the sound has gotten a littel more mundane, and a little less progresisve =/ Personally for me they just seem to be getting less appealing as time goes on, i mean dont get me wrong, as far as music goes everything opeth has made is beyond awesome (including watershed), but it doesnt appeal to me like their older stuff. Not to mention that if you're going to be pefectly honest , the curent lineup is probably  the 'least talented' one to date; i mean Freddy was in Arch Enemy and they were mediocre at best =/

Though they did deliver on what they promised. It was hard, and i did notice Mikael's growls were deeper and felt way more deadly, but they didnt maintain that hardness like they did with Deliverance, in fact this is probably the most mellow album they've made bar Damnation. However, Opeth are definitely an acquired taste, and their songs are always more complex and beautiful than they appear to be, so i'm not going to base my opinion off my one listen.

is it me or do you feel it more when you listen to Opeth through say earphones, than speakers? like when i listen to opeth through my iPod, I always feel it stronger than when i listen to them off my pc.

Selkie

I like the Lotus Eater breakdown near the end.

Lovefoxxx

i dont like the weird drum bit in Porcelain Heart, i can see how it works, but all the same it sounds horribly sloppy.....they shouldnt do sloppy, they're not good at it =/

Lovefoxxx

i just dont want them to go all 'Cradle-of-Filth' on us.....oh, i miss Linda-gren  edumacate;

The artist formally known

fucking backwards vocals, female vocals, out of tune guitars, blast beats, phone vocals, and the best singing that i've ever heard mikael do. the clean vocals seriously are so much better then ever before.

this album fucking rules

if anyone wants my first impressions here they are:

i wrote them so i can remember what i thought of it the first time i heard it

[spoiler]Coil
Great opening track, sets the idea of the album. Not much to say but female vocals are pretty sweet. First time they've done that.

Heir Apparent
The studio version, sounds amazing. The silence from the huge heavy part to the keyboards is so much better and easier to hear. Then the vocals are so fucking heavy. I don't think there is any other way to describe what Opeth does then this song. Light to heavy.

I love this song so much for the solo, god it's so early and fucking amazing. Maybe the new Demon of the Fall song? I could see that.

And then the solo comes by, as it passes you can hear the syth of the keyboards that you couldn't make out in the live version. I get goosebumps thinking of whats to come next on the song, the light guitar to the heavy part once more.

The guitar work sounds so much better in the studio version. Better then I had first thought from what I heard of the live version.

Burden
Keyboards open the song. A lonely guitar follows with a little syth. Very deep purple sounding. The vocals are so freaking great, so emotional. Kinda disappointed the song didn't change too much but thats only because I wanted it to.

The solo comes and goes, then another solo, then another solo, then ANOTHER SOLO. Jesus Christ. After a quite harmony, ANOTHER SOLO WHAT THE HELL?

The song starts to go out of tune, and slowly stops and you hear laughter and the laugher then fades away.

Hessian Peel
Starts of slow with a cool little vocal part. Then some syth and guitar back and forth with a riff repeating in the background.

Stops with some backwards vocals? Drums pick up? Some awesome keyboards and syth come along for the ride and Jesus that was awesome. What just happened?

The song had completely changed and it didn't get heavy. I actually wanted some of that in Opeth. The vocals come back really emotional, he starts to really show some great vocals. Though the lyrics aren't too original I do like it.

Switches and slows down. Keyboard comes in with a totally different tune and everything else stops.

Then finally, just heavy as shit. Kinda weird, I don't know if I like how late it comes but I did expect something heavy in the song after looking at the time of it. Then it has a awesome solo, a quick man yell and more guitar.

And this is what I like, the transition. Becomes a little lighter and of course goes back into being heavy and fades away.

Some keyboard and bass, seems like it's leading into the next song

Hex Omega
Nope. Doesn't lead into this

Sounds very Ghost Reveries like, Like The Grand Conjuration. Leads into some syth and very clean vocals, very subtle vocals.

I like how he holds the long note and it goes into a more full sounding part. I like the song so far, sounds very dark and very light at parts, and sometimes goes right back to back with those two ideas.

And finally! The fucking phone vocals that Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson does so much. God I fucking love that. And a echo of his vocals.

STOP! A riff from the guitar, distorted guitar. What is this going into? Pretty bad ass.

I liked the album a lot, missing lots of the heavy parts that I wanted but I have to say that Lotus Eater is probably one of my new favorite songs ever. While the album isn't as heavy as their others it really really really improves on Mikael's vocals.

Jesus his vocals are done way better.

One of their best albums.[/spoiler]

April 26, 2008, 12:59:17 PM #8 Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:04:41 PM by reefer
Are you serious? If anything it's way heavier. Mikael's growls sound deeper than ever, and there's a lot of more metal drumming going on. Blast beats in The Lotus Eater, and goddamn, Heir Apparent is fucking intense. Definitely one of their heaviest songs ever.

It's strange how it sounds more mainstream yet more progressive at the same time. befuddlement

I love how easy it is to spot out the new guitarist's solos, he's such a shredder, but it somehow works for Opeth. Heir Apparent, The Lotus Eater, Burden, and Hessian Peel are my faves based on my first two listens.
i dont agree with it being more mainstream.

i think ghost reveries was mainstream as shit. it all made sense. it all was very normal and very progressive. and it all fit together great.

while this album is chaotic and transitions are quick and i fucking love it so much. i agree that its not their heaviest though the two songs that are heavy are fucking heavy as shit.

lotus eater is one of my favorite songs along with hessian peel.

Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 25, 2008, 07:17:11 PM
meh, i think this is probably their most generic album so far, i mean the sound has gotten a littel more mundane, and a little less progresisve =/ Personally for me they just seem to be getting less appealing as time goes on, i mean dont get me wrong, as far as music goes everything opeth has made is beyond awesome (including watershed), but it doesnt appeal to me like their older stuff. Not to mention that if you're going to be pefectly honest , the curent lineup is probably  the 'least talented' one to date; i mean Freddy was in Arch Enemy and they were mediocre at best =/

Though they did deliver on what they promised. It was hard, and i did notice Mikael's growls were deeper and felt way more deadly, but they didnt maintain that hardness like they did with Deliverance, in fact this is probably the most mellow album they've made bar Damnation. However, Opeth are definitely an acquired taste, and their songs are always more complex and beautiful than they appear to be, so i'm not going to base my opinion off my one listen.

is it me or do you feel it more when you listen to Opeth through say earphones, than speakers? like when i listen to opeth through my iPod, I always feel it stronger than when i listen to them off my pc.

i think we all know that mellow isn't a bad thing, see damnation.

yes the vocals are better then they ever have been and i dont think the album is mediocre. its very very experimental. i mean there is so much different shit going on the whole album.

the best place to listen to music is while driving or while laying on a mattress at 3am with huge speakers playing very loudly.

Quote from: steal on April 25, 2008, 07:29:23 PM
Honestly I think this album is far better than Orchid, but admittedly probably their second worst to date. It'll grow on me though, I'm sure, they all do. I didn't appreciate Ghost reveries at first nearly as much as I do now.

I prefer listening to opeth through speakers because my speakers are actually really good, and whenever I listen to anything on the speakers, it has to be pretty loud, and everything sounds better when it's louder. god I love my sub-woofer

Unless you're using giant ass over ear headphones, music sounds so much wimpier through headphones. Especially with earbuds.

Also does any one else simply love the strings in Hessian Peel?

my speakers are great too but no subwoofer yet ;_;

strings as the syth right? yes i did

One thing is that I'm sad that it really isn't as Scott Walker'y as Mikael seemed to have said, though I didn't expect it to be. But yes, this album is experimental as shit. I fucking love it.

Go Up