September 28, 2024, 04:23:21 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Lotus Eater and Porcelain Heart

Started by The artist formally known, April 17, 2008, 11:08:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The artist formally known

I'll write what I think about them after I have listened to them for a while. Enjoy in the meantime.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e4igf4yrxjv

Lotus Eater
This song is just ridicously amazing, the start of the song is Mikael humming, then it has a drum roll and blast fucking beats. There isn't a way to describe this for the first time I heard it. I literarly laughed at how awesome it was as I usually do.

The switch of the vocals from deep and dark to light and beautiful is just better then I've heard, the way Mikael sings "die" kicks so much ass.

Then the song slows way down and almost stops, then BLAST FUCKING BEATS! Jesus I, though I never heard the song before, hit the beat that it started back up at, because knowing Opeth, I knew they wouldn't slow the song down right there.

After the heavy part ends, it slows down... then sounds as if it were to speed up, and HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS fucking keyboards! EVERYWHERE. I just laughed at how fucking ridiculous it became, seriously. I don't know what they were thinking but I fucking love it. You have to hear it to understand what I'm hearing because it's quite ridiculous.

It was like the first time I had heard Ghost Reveries and laughed at the weird circus sounding riff in the middle of the first or second track.

Porcelain Heart
Just started up the song, intros pretty cool. Dark feeling. I had thought this song would have been more mellow and acoustical.

Okay, now we're heading into the acoustical side of the track. You can hear the settle keyboards and Mikael comes in with his vocals. Says a beautiful little lyric and then it builds up into a pretty heavy part.

Comes right back to the acoustical part along with some more lyrics from Mikael. Now some time later you can hear such beautiful vocals from Mikael, nothing like I've heard before, and the lyrics are rhyming, never heard that before. So calm and beautiful

Then in the style that I have always loved in Opeth, it gets quite darker and more heavy then before. I like the song, but The Lotus Eater stands way out, it's so great.

Daphnia

AAAAAAAAAAAAA I love his voice when he sings.

But I still giggle at the growls. What is the purpose? I think his voice can be much more menacing and/or expressive and/or emotional when he sings.

Songs are still awesome. KEYBOARD SLAM SLAM SLAM

Quote from: Soup on April 18, 2008, 12:35:22 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAA I love his voice when he sings.

But I still giggle at the growls. What is the purpose? I think his voice can be much more menacing and/or expressive and/or emotional when he sings.

Songs are still awesome. KEYBOARD SLAM SLAM SLAM
The growls are great, they're there because they're great. Duh

Lovefoxxx

April 18, 2008, 06:47:32 AM #4 Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:55:07 AM by Lovefoxxx
Quote from: reefer on April 18, 2008, 01:10:13 AM
The growls are great, they're there because they're great. Duh

he has the best voice in metal by far.

yah PH was alright, but it doesnt hit you with the tenacity the tLE does.

Oh, i know, when they said it would get much darker, faster and harder in the interviews they werent joking. In fact the first time i heard The Lotus Eater, i was actually kind of frightened by how it just went slapbang straight into these insane blast beats, coupled with Mikael's unique vocal range, it's actually makes for quite a haunting song. I mean they have sort of mixed everything up and restyled everything,  it even almost sounds like a totally new sound but the essentials are still there, and it easily grows on you. Though the more i listen to it the more it feels like Ghost Reveries. My fear is that some people may say Opeth are starting to incline towards the generic death metal band. Although everything they make is beyond awesome, i personally feel that it seems as time goes on their work seems to feel less profound.

The new sound reminds me of Woods of Ypres but better, although i must admit i prefer their older, more romantic sound, these new songs are a real burst of life. However, i've read interviews and stuff and  Mikael says he prefers their post-BWP stuff to their pre-BWP as it's more enjoyable to play and listen to according to him. Which is fine, but i dont think the fact that it's more difficult to create, should stop him from trying to make something like SL or MAYH again. Lulz i loved all the murmured swedish at the end =P

Selkie

Reefer, The Lotus Eater has just gotten me into Opeth.

Congratulations.

Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 18, 2008, 06:47:32 AM
he has the best voice in metal by far.

yah PH was alright, but it doesnt hit you with the tenacity the tLE does.

Oh, i know, when they said it would get much darker, faster and harder in the interviews they werent joking. In fact the first time i heard The Lotus Eater, i was actually kind of frightened by how it just went slapbang straight into these insane blast beats, coupled with Mikael's unique vocal range, it's actually makes for quite a haunting song. I mean they have sort of mixed everything up and restyled everything,  it even almost sounds like a totally new sound but the essentials are still there, and it easily grows on you. Though the more i listen to it the more it feels like Ghost Reveries. My fear is that some people may say Opeth are starting to incline towards the generic death metal band. Although everything they make is beyond awesome, i personally feel that it seems as time goes on their work seems to feel less profound.

The new sound reminds me of Woods of Ypres but better, although i must admit i prefer their older, more romantic sound, these new songs are a real burst of life. However, i've read interviews and stuff and  Mikael says he prefers their post-BWP stuff to their pre-BWP as it's more enjoyable to play and listen to according to him. Which is fine, but i dont think the fact that it's more difficult to create, should stop him from trying to make something like SL or MAYH again. Lulz i loved all the murmured swedish at the end =P

The best thing is when Opeth plays their old stuff live, which I hope to hear when I see them
I just love the quick transitions much like how White Clusters is easily one of my favorite Opeth songs.
Quote from: Killer Tofu on April 19, 2008, 04:25:37 PM
Reefer, The Lotus Eater has just gotten me into Opeth.

Congratulations.
No, you are the one that has been rewarded with the greatest band ever.

Lovefoxxx

the album just leaked today, and i'm going to see them live tomorrow, this is the most awesome weekend of my life =P

Quote from: steal on April 25, 2008, 04:52:16 PM
Tomorrow? I'm seeing them next weekend. But yeah, I'm downloading the album right now, gonna wait till I get new headphones in a few minutes before I listen to it though. I really love the keyboard and drums bit in the lotus eater.
Everyone loves the keyboard part in Lotus Eater.

Lovefoxxx

I went to see them today. Suffice it to say that i had multiple orgasms.

Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 26, 2008, 03:48:08 PM
I went to see them today. Suffice it to say that i had multiple orgasms.
new songs played?

Lovefoxxx

Quote from: steal on April 26, 2008, 06:47:32 PM
What was the set list?

Demon of the fall
Master's Apprentices
The baying of the hounds
In my time of need
Wreath
Heir Apparent
The Drapery Falls

i wish they'd played MV or at least one of the SL epics :(

Lovefoxxx

Quote from: steal on April 26, 2008, 07:46:21 PM
Sounds great, except that Wreath is my one of my least favorite opeth songs. :(

needs less deliverance
needs more still life

exactly what i was thinking, but supposedly Mikael doesnt enjoy playing their older stuff as much :(

Quote from: steal on April 26, 2008, 07:49:28 PM
how can he enjoy playing wreath more than the moor :(
or black rose immortal more then ghost of perdition

black rose immortal is so awesome

Go Up