June 30, 2024, 02:14:36 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Like Porcupine Tree?

Started by The artist formally known, April 15, 2008, 12:16:34 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The artist formally known

He has a lot of other bands and stuff, check out these:

No-Man - ambient
Incredible Expanding Mindfuck - experimental rock
Bass Communion - ambient, drone
Blackfield - melodic and melancholic rock
Continuum

And he also has solo work under his name, Steve Wilson.

Placebo Headwound

Yeah, I kinda already knew all those.

Also, his solo shit is so fucking rare it costs hundreds of dollars to buy one.

Lovefoxxx

Quote from: Thief888 on April 15, 2008, 11:42:01 AM
Yeah, I kinda already knew all those.

Also, his solo shit is so fucking rare it costs hundreds of dollars to buy one.

i conclude that Steve Wilson is the new Son of God. Though instead of turning water into wine, he turns it into jesus juice to lure little kiddies to his lair.

oh, i didnt know he'd done work under his own name...

edit: lulz since when has jesus been plump and middle-aged?

YPrrrr

Do their songs involve screaming?

Lovefoxxx

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on April 15, 2008, 06:12:54 PM

none. it's all pretty flowery hippy stuff <3

YPrrrr

Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 15, 2008, 06:14:00 PM
none. it's all pretty flowery hippy stuff <3
Then I might like them... I'll have to find some songs

Samus Aran

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on April 15, 2008, 06:12:54 PM

No. Porcupine Tree is of the experimental and prog metal rather than death metal or something stupid like that. That's what makes Porupine Tree awesome to me, and I wish more metal bands would be like them.

Lovefoxxx

Quote from: Kazarus on April 15, 2008, 07:26:09 PM
No. Porcupine Tree is of the experimental and prog metal rather than death metal or something stupid like that. That's what makes Porupine Tree awesome to me, and I wish more metal bands would be like them.

they're not even metal, they're rock

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 15, 2008, 07:44:42 PM
they're not even metal, they're prog rock

Progressive metal is now considered a real genre. Believe it.

Lovefoxxx

Quote from: Kazarus on April 15, 2008, 07:45:14 PM
Progressive metal is now considered a real genre. Believe it.

lulz i know, it's just that they dont distort the guitars so they're not metal

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 15, 2008, 07:46:27 PM
it's just that they dont distort the guitars

...yes they do. Do you even know how a guitar works?

Lovefoxxx

April 15, 2008, 08:05:39 PM #11 Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:11:03 PM by Lovefoxxx
Quote from: Kazarus on April 15, 2008, 07:47:48 PM
...yes they do. Do you even know how a guitar works?

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?  befuddlement

anyway, i dont like the connotations with the term 'metal. When people think metal they think big sweaty hairy men barfing on about how brutal they are because they ran someone's dog over.....porcupine tree are nothing like that.

PT =/= Metal, kthnx

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 15, 2008, 08:05:39 PM
I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?  befuddlement

anyway, i dont like the connotations with the term 'metal. When people think metal they think big sweaty hairy men barfing on about how brutal they are because they ran someone's dog over.....porcupine tree are nothing like that.

PT =/= Metal, kthnx

...wow.

Okay, now try stepping outside your stupid stereotype and think for a moment. Metal is short for heavy metal. Do you know what that is? It's a type of hard rock characterized by distorted guitars, heavy drumming, high volume, etc. There is nothing that says you have to be egomaniacal and call yourself brutal. Just because Porcupine Tree has some softer songs doesn't mean they're excluded from the genre. The Beatles wrote pop songs and were still considered a rock band too. Led Zeppelin was considered a blues-rock band, but they didn't only play blues-rock. Porcupine Tree falls under experimental, prog rock, prog metal, and at times even simply metal. If you're going to be a stick in the mud and fail to realize how genres work, then fine.

Lovefoxxx

Quote from: Kazarus on April 15, 2008, 08:30:28 PM
...wow.

Okay, now try stepping outside your stupid stereotype and think for a moment. Metal is short for heavy metal. Do you know what that is? It's a type of hard rock characterized by distorted guitars, heavy drumming, high volume, etc. There is nothing that says you have to be egomaniacal and call yourself brutal. Just because Porcupine Tree has some softer songs doesn't mean they're excluded from the genre. The Beatles wrote pop songs and were still considered a rock band too. Led Zeppelin was considered a blues-rock band, but they didn't only play blues-rock. Porcupine Tree falls under experimental, prog rock, prog metal, and at times even simply metal. If you're going to be a stick in the mud and fail to realize how genres work, then fine.

lulz honey, you've got me all wrong, i'm not trying to prolong any stereotypes or anything like that, gawd, i'm far too lazy for that anyway. I know lately PT have incorporated  a bit of prog metal into the mix, but you cant say they're a metal band based on a few songs. Anyway i never said it was me that believed in the stereotypes, i listen to metal, and a shitload of it too, i was just saying that those stereotypes are what the average guy off the street thinks when he thinks "metal"

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 15, 2008, 08:39:13 PM
lulz honey, you've got me all wrong, i'm not trying to prolong any stereotypes or anything like that, gawd, i'm far too lazy for that anyway. I know lately PT have incorporated  a bit of prog metal into the mix, but you cant say they're a metal band based on a few songs. Anyway i never said it was me that believed in the stereotypes, i listen to metal, and a shitload of it too, i was just saying that those stereotypes are what the average guy off the street thinks when he thinks "metal"

It's more than a few songs. It's a lot of songs. And yes, they are recent songs, but that doesn't change the fact that the genre applies to them.

I don't see why you would even bother denying it. It's not really opinion. It's basically a fact that the genre applies to them. Look them up anywhere and find out for yourself.

Go Up