September 28, 2024, 04:16:19 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Your Favourite Albums

Started by Lovefoxxx, April 14, 2008, 10:01:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Lovefoxxx

April 15, 2008, 06:29:31 PM #15 Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:32:59 PM by Lovefoxxx
Quote from: reefer on April 14, 2008, 09:52:24 PM
The best Opeth album thus far is Blackwater Park, why did you put Still Life up there instead?  befuddlement

yah, as far as progression goes BWP is gangrape, but when it comes to cohesion, transition, and general solidarity Still Life is easily the best. plus i like it because it's about love <3 I like their old stuff just a wee bit more than their newer stuff, it just feels darker and more romantic, but of course everything opeth has made thus far is simply awsum

The artist formally known

April 15, 2008, 09:29:18 PM #16 Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:33:02 PM by reefer
Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 15, 2008, 06:29:31 PM
yah, as far as progression goes BWP is gangrape, but when it comes to cohesion, transition, and general solidarity Still Life is easily the best. plus i like it because it's about love <3 I like their old stuff just a wee bit more than their newer stuff, it just feels darker and more romantic, but of course everything opeth has made thus far is simply awsum
Listen to the bonus tracks on Blackwater. I actually thought that Blackwater had the best transitions to different parts of the song. The transitions on Still Life are pretty abduct, not that I don't like that.

By the way Still Life is a concept album, though it's not entirely about love, I suppose you could say it is because the main character returns for Melinda to the village he had left.

But yes Still Life is probably my second favorite. Since White Cluster is my favorite Opeth song ever. Fuck I love listneing to that song in my car. So fucking awesome.

I like all of their stuff but if I'd probably listen to somewhere around the middle if I had to choose. Blackwater Park is also in the middle, seeing that Ghost Reveries is a lot different then their other stuff. I think that GR is their darkest and most "twisted" of all their stuff though later I'd probably change my mind.

Lovefoxxx

Quote from: reefer on April 15, 2008, 09:29:18 PM
Listen to the bonus tracks on Blackwater. I actually thought that Blackwater had the best transitions to different parts of the song. The transitions on Still Life are pretty abduct, not that I don't like that.

noh, i mean as a whole album, SL is just more solid. BWP is more a collection of individual songs, but with SL each song just flows perfectly into the next, it's like a river of sound.

Quote from: reefer on April 15, 2008, 09:29:18 PM
But yes Still Life is probably my second favorite. Since White Cluster is my favorite Opeth song ever. Fuck I love listneing to that song in my car. So fucking awesome. I like all of their stuff but if I'd probably listen to somewhere around the middle if I had to choose. Blackwater Park is also in the middle, seeing that Ghost Reveries is a lot different then their other stuff. I think that GR is their darkest and most "twisted" of all their stuff though later I'd probably change my mind.

do you  like White Cluster more than MV? lulz WC seems the least organised of all the songs on SL.....ohrite, that's probably why you like it the most, progressive unconventional structures and everything. meh, I dunno,  personally they're longer more EPIC stuff appeals more to me, like i just fell in love with Black Rose Immortal the first time i heard it. GR is awsum of course, but the sounds feels more, dare i say, "processed" (for lack of a better word) and not half as wonderfully complex as any of the older albums

The artist formally known

Quote from: Lovefoxxx on April 15, 2008, 09:50:32 PM
noh, i mean as a whole album, SL is just more solid. BWP is more a collection of individual songs, but with SL each song just flows perfectly into the next, it's like a river of sound.

You like White Cluster more than Moonlapse? lulz WC seems the least organised of all the songs on SL.....ohrite, that's probably why you like it the most. meh, I dunno,  personally they're longer more epic stuff appeals more to me, like i just fell in love with Black Rose Immortal the first time i heard it. GR is awsum of course, but the sounds feels more, dare i say, "processed" (for lack of a better word) and not half as wonderfully complex as any of the older albums
I agree about Still Life sounding more like an album but thats because it was a concept album and it was supposed to sound like a story.

I love White Clusters because it's so much fun to act out as I'm driving down the road. For me a song has to be freaking awesome to like kinda act out. I just have to pretend as if I'm singing it.

I don't know about you but Orchid isn't as complex as anything on Ghost Reveries. And not that I want to compare the complexity of any of the albums because I don't see them like that. I just see the style they're written in. Ghost Reveries is very creepy at times and mellow at others while Still Life is chaotic quick transitions with beautiful mellow tunes between (benighted and the beginning of melida). Damnation is a collection of acoustical work, while Deliverance is the darkest and least mellow of all the work.

This all is probably twisted by about what time I started to listen to all of them and I probably have just picked out parts of a couple of the songs and based my opinion on those parts alone but thats how I like to think about them. All of them are masterpieces and I like them all. One day I might like Orchid the most and not like Ghost Reveries at all, or I might fucking love Ghost Reveries and be sick of Orchid.

Orchid I will never hate but for some reason I just don't like Ghost Reveries until I listen to it again and remember how great the album really is.

Go Up