June 30, 2024, 02:31:08 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Recommend me some jazz.

Started by Squirtlejazz, March 01, 2008, 04:34:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Squirtlejazz

iSnake

Pele

I can only recommend to not listen to it.

Daphnia

Swing is better. :l

LOUIS LOUIS

LINK2K9

March 01, 2008, 08:45:01 PM #3 Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:48:41 PM by LINK2K9
I guess staring off with stuff like John Coltrane and Herbie Hancock would be good. I'm not the biggest fan of jazz, but I give them plays every so often among other jazz artists/musicians.

Maybe some of Jeff Beck's jazz influenced work such as Blow By Blow?

lol lara lol

Houdini

Miles Davis. Kind of Blue is his best.

Snorkel

I second Houdini's recommendation. Coltrane is good, expecially if you like a lot of sax, and if you're REALLY looking for some amazing saxophonery, get Sonny Rollins' album Saxophone Colossus. Other good jazz to listen to is all of Art Pepper's projects, Wes Montgomery (especially if you'd like to sample some good jazz with guitar), Charles Mingus (a classic), Raymond Scott Quintet, and of course the well-known guys like Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, etc.

If you'd like to get away from strictly jazz jazz and more into rock/blues, Allman Bros.' album At Filmore East is priceless.

That should be enough to get you started.

Houdini

Squirtlejazz

Thanks errebody. I like to play jazz, but I don't have any albums and I really want to listen to some so I can improve a bit ya know?
iSnake

Snorkel

Quote from: Squirtlejazz on March 02, 2008, 05:14:16 PM
Thanks errebody. I like to play jazz, but I don't have any albums and I really want to listen to some so I can improve a bit ya know?

Yup. That's the best way.

I feel like you can go one of two ways when learning jazz and its scales and things -- actually learn all the scales and things, and think technically about what you're doing while you play your instrument. Or, you can spend your evenings listening to the jazz greats, and eventually just grow an inherent sense of which notes go together and what choices would lead to an awesome solo or progression.

It sounds a bit tacky, but that is actually what I believe has happened to me.  doodthing;

Houdini

Go Up