June 30, 2024, 02:10:43 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

How do you buy/steal your tunes???

Started by Boogus Epirus Aurelius, February 26, 2008, 07:29:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

When looking for music, do you(primarily)......

Buy cd's/vinyl
5 (55.6%)
download legally for a price(itunes)
1 (11.1%)
unabashadly steal music through downloads
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I'm a huge, huge music buff. As a youngin' my folks always had the good old oldies playing in the background of my home; really fueled me for the years to come. As I got older, nearly all my pocket change went towards a new cd to add to my collection. Since then I've collected hundreds upon hundreds of albums. I love the sound and the novelty of cd's. It's nice to have a physical aspect to the music your listening to, not just an invisible file format containing music. It feels too artificial. Thoughts?

I think this is interesting too.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17777619/the_death_of_high_fidelity/print

Samus Aran

Most of my music is ripped from my own CD collection, though I do some legal and illegal downloading too. The amount of legal music in my collection vastly outweighs the illegal stuff, though.

YPrrrr

I don't do illegal downloading... I lack the internet speed to do much downloading to begin with

sans culottes

Gimme an 'all of the above' option please.

I do a lot of formats. My favorite is CD, I enjoy having a physical copy of music. However, I only get like, one CD a month. I've probably spent about sixty bucks overall on iTunes downloads (I did that before I started pirating).

I torrent. However, I have a moral value that you should never steal from a band that actually needs your ten dollars.

Also, I have a collection of vinyls that used to be my dad's (and I also bought Rush's first album on vinyl last month, so that's the only vinyl that wasn't his), along with his cassette collection (I'll never buy cassettes in the future unless I find a good album for cheap, cassettes kinda suck).

oh and uh, here's loose statistics.

Total songs I have in MP3 (at the moment): 2051
Songs from CDs: About 350
Songs from iTunes downloads: about 70
The rest: pirated

tbh i feel really dirty when i pirate :3
I support BUSH

LINK2K9

CDs and torrents. Whatever I liked that I downloaded illegally I'll buy on CD.

lol lara lol

sans culottes

Quote from: LINK2K9 on February 26, 2008, 08:25:33 PM
CDs and torrents. Whatever I liked that I downloaded illegally I'll buy on CD.

I can be like that sometimes. I like to be sure of what I buy so I listen to it first.
I support BUSH

LINK2K9

Quote from: Co-Z on February 26, 2008, 08:38:10 PM
I can be like that sometimes. I like to be sure of what I buy so I listen to it first.

Yeah, I don't want to end up buying an album I don't like and therefore ending up supporting that artist. >.<

Quote from: steal on February 26, 2008, 08:35:10 PM
I've been working on that too, but I always tend to put off buying albums I already have on my computer in favor of new things whenever I go to the record store. :(

Eh, same here, which is why I usually order those CDs online. Half.com is awesome. n_u

lol lara lol

sans culottes

Quote from: LINK2K9 on February 26, 2008, 08:40:16 PM
Yeah, I don't want to end up buying an album I don't like and therefore ending up supporting that artist. >.<

That's a moment you're thankful a record company is getting most of it.

However, when it's an artist you support, that's when you're upset a record company is getting most of it.
I support BUSH

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I have this local hippe record joint that sells music at a laughably low price (probably high when he marked the prices). I tried buying a few super super hard to find albums off itunes but it didnt feel right. The only album I've ever illegally downloaded was an out of print called "z-rock hawaii" which retails for $500 plus, if you can find it.

Daddy

I usually torrent things, though I buy stuff from Amazon's MP3 service on occasion.  I'll probably buy an album tomorrow.

Houdini

I always buy CDs unless there's no way I can get a hard copy. I'd buy vinyl, too, but my turntable needs repairs.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

You know, I noticed turntables are coming back to some extent. My old one just hit the fan.

sans culottes

Quote from: Boognish on February 27, 2008, 06:50:36 PM
You know, I noticed turntables are coming back to some extent. My old one just hit the fan.

i have a turntable myself.

retro = win.
I support BUSH

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Most definently. I'm considering getting it repaired instead of replaced. I've got it mounted in my room in a very specific way. I love the sound, even the crackles. It's a lot warmer.

LINK2K9

I'm very tempted to start buying records, but unfortunately that means going to the moldy, old used hobby store (or whatever it would be classified as).

lol lara lol

Go Up