June 30, 2024, 02:51:08 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Beach Boys

Started by Samus Aran, February 26, 2008, 02:17:38 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: LINK2K9 on February 26, 2008, 09:35:44 PM
I agree that they're catchy and well put together, theyw rote some great pop tunes, but they're nothing special.

Well, considering the time period, they were. People naturally flocked to the care free "cars and girls" vibe they threw out. Plus, they established surf music as a mainstream medium.

LINK2K9

Quote from: Boognish on February 26, 2008, 09:38:49 PM
Well, considering the time period, they were. People naturally flocked to the care free "cars and girls" vibe they threw out. Plus, they established surf music as a mainstream medium.

I wouldn't really say "surf music" is a mainstream genre, but I agree that a lot of their songs were products of the time.

lol lara lol

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Well, it was fairly nonexistant on the radio at the time.

In all honesty, if brian wilson hadn't gone through and cranked out "pet sounds" We could probably dismiss them as just another early sixties pop band.

sans culottes

Quote from: Boognish on February 26, 2008, 09:36:31 PM
Keith moon of the who always wanted to be a surf drummer so they did a cover of barbara ann in "the kids are alright" (dont know if you like the who or not) but I always thought this was funny.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nsHa6XJZVes

Hahah! That's fucking hilarious.

True fact. Keith Moon got kicked out of the studio while The Who recorded vocals because his voice sucked so much.
I support BUSH

LINK2K9

Quote from: Co-Z on February 26, 2008, 10:24:13 PM
Hahah! That's fucking hilarious.

True fact. Keith Moon got kicked out of the studio while The Who recorded vocals because his voice sucked so much.

"I'm yer uncle ernie and I welcome you to Tommy's holiday camp-ah!"

Only good part of the movie. >.<

lol lara lol

sans culottes

Quote from: LINK2K9 on February 26, 2008, 10:27:37 PM
"I'm yer uncle ernie and I welcome you to Tommy's holiday camp-ah!"

Only good part of the movie. >.<

i've never seen it, was it good?

i have seen quadrophenia... well like 70% of it. i got bored and thought "ill finish it later".
I support BUSH

LINK2K9

Quote from: Co-Z on February 26, 2008, 10:46:57 PM
i've never seen it, was it good?

i have seen quadrophenia... well like 70% of it. i got bored and thought "ill finish it later".

It's a gigantic pile of steaming shit.

lol lara lol

sans culottes

Quote from: LINK2K9 on February 26, 2008, 10:49:36 PM
It's a gigantic pile of steaming shit.

okay.

don't know whether or not you'd like quadrophenia though.
I support BUSH

LINK2K9

Quote from: Co-Z on February 26, 2008, 10:55:29 PM
okay.

don't know whether or not you'd like quadrophenia though.

If I ever find a copy I'll check it out, but I'm not interested enough to search for one. I'm afraid it will ruin the album for me. Silly, I know, but Quadrophenia is probably my favorite album by The Who and one of my favorite of all time.

lol lara lol

sans culottes

It's a bit different than the album. Probably the biggest change iis what the plot's focus is. The album is all about the four personalities. The movie has little focus on that, it's mainly about the mods vs. rockers.

sum magzine ranked it the 30-something-th best british film ever.
I support BUSH

LINK2K9

Quote from: Co-Z on February 28, 2008, 09:16:17 PM
It's a bit different than the album. Probably the biggest change iis what the plot's focus is. The album is all about the four personalities. The movie has little focus on that, it's mainly about the mods vs. rockers.

sum magzine ranked it the 30-something-th best british film ever.

Really? Well, at least they changed it up. Tommy is really closely based on the album and suffers for it.

lol lara lol

sans culottes

I think it's just kinda hard to interpret an album into a movie. I saw The Wall and it doesn't make sense unless you read a plot summary in advance. Quadrophenia's good thing is that its plot is looser-ly related to the album, yeah.

BTW, if you wanna watch Quadrophenia, some guy uploaded it to YouTube. It's an alright movie. Fucking hilarious to see British teen agers singing along to My Generation at a party with their British accents. And when the main character sings You Really Got Me with his accent, it's funny too.
I support BUSH

Squirtlejazz

They are awesome. My dad has all their albums.
iSnake

LINK2K9

Quote from: Co-Z on February 28, 2008, 10:13:34 PM
I think it's just kinda hard to interpret an album into a movie. I saw The Wall and it doesn't make sense unless you read a plot summary in advance. Quadrophenia's good thing is that its plot is looser-ly related to the album, yeah.

BTW, if you wanna watch Quadrophenia, some guy uploaded it to YouTube. It's an alright movie. Fucking hilarious to see British teen agers singing along to My Generation at a party with their British accents. And when the main character sings You Really Got Me with his accent, it's funny too.

Check it out one day, thanks for the info.

lol lara lol

Go Up