June 30, 2024, 02:55:05 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Beach Boys

Started by Samus Aran, February 26, 2008, 02:17:38 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

I just finished a torrent of Pet Sounds.

Gonna listen to it later. Busy listening to BOC.
I support BUSH

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Yeah, the beach boys are definently great and pet sounds certainly isn't remotely overrated.  At the time of its release, it got a bit of a cold review mainly because it was so different than the generic "car, sun and girl" forumula that made them so huge. The band itself, though, was basiacally a direct product of Brian wilson's twisted genius. The man had problems. Pet sounds was the intellectual release he needed; insanity followed.
   Plus, kokomo sucks and mike love is a grade "A" dick. Cheers!

sans culottes

Quote from: Boognish on February 26, 2008, 07:20:52 PM
Yeah, the beach boys are definently great and pet sounds certainly isn't remotely overrated.  At the time of its release, it got a bit of a cold review mainly because it was so different than the generic "car, sun and girl" forumula that made them so huge. The band itself, though, was basiacally a direct product of Brian wilson's twisted genius. The man had problems. Pet sounds was the intellectual release he needed; insanity followed.
   Plus, kokomo sucks and mike love is a grade "A" dick. Cheers!

I totally agree. Mike Love sucks, but Brian Wilson is the man.
I support BUSH

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Yeah. did you read his "self written biography"? I think a certain doctor landy may have "helped" him out a bit. It's a great read though.

sans culottes

Quote from: Boognish on February 26, 2008, 07:42:46 PM
Yeah. did you read his "self written biography"? I think a certain doctor landy may have "helped" him out a bit. It's a great read though.

never read it. i don't read books much.
I support BUSH

LINK2K9

Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums of all time and Good Vibrations is one of the best singles of all time.

Everything else by them is very forgettable, but Pet Sounds can not get enough praise.

lol lara lol

sans culottes

Quote from: LINK2K9 on February 26, 2008, 08:24:46 PM
Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums of all time and Good Vibrations is one of the best singles of all time.

Everything else by them is very forgettable, but Pet Sounds can not get enough praise.

It got number two on Rolling Stone's top 500 albums list.

Sure it's one of the greatest... but not a top ten album.

And you are right about Good Vibrations. God I love that song. GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD VIBRATIONS
I support BUSH

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Yeah, I dont mind rolling stone per se, but Top lists are usually just a matter of opinion unless it's based off of sales or the such.

Samus Aran

Quote from: LINK2K9 on February 26, 2008, 08:24:46 PM
Everything else by them is very forgettable

Sure as hell got that right.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Kazarus on February 26, 2008, 09:17:29 PM
Sure as hell got that right.

Egh, well I'm not sure if you can necessarily go that far. They've got some very catchy stuff. Juvenile at times, but catchy and put together very well. Heroes and villians isn't bad..........

Samus Aran

Quote from: Boognish on February 26, 2008, 09:20:14 PM
Egh, well I'm not sure if you can necessarily go that far. They've got some very catchy stuff. Juvenile at times, but catchy and put together very well. Heroes and villians isn't bad..........

I can at least respect "I Get Around," but nothing else comes to mind at the moment that isn't on Pet Sounds.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Well, the obvious ones.....
-fun, fun,fun
-surfin' usa
-Help me rhonda
-little deuce coup
-shut down
-barbara ann
-dont worry baby
-california girls

Samus Aran

Quote from: Boognish on February 26, 2008, 09:30:07 PM
Well, the obvious ones.....
-fun, fun,fun
-surfin' usa
-Help me rhonda
-little deuce coup
-shut down
-barbara ann
-dont worry baby
-california girls

Barbara Ann is okay, as is California Girls. I really don't like Fun, Fun, Fun very much. Surfin' USA is okay, I guess. I don't remember hearing the others.

LINK2K9

Quote from: Boognish on February 26, 2008, 09:20:14 PM

I agree that they're catchy and well put together, theyw rote some great pop tunes, but they're nothing special.

lol lara lol

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Keith moon of the who always wanted to be a surf drummer so they did a cover of barbara ann in "the kids are alright" (dont know if you like the who or not) but I always thought this was funny.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nsHa6XJZVes

Go Up