June 28, 2024, 08:11:58 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I saw Cloverfield today.

Started by One Man Freak Show, January 19, 2008, 06:02:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

One Man Freak Show

I don't see how people can hate the ending.

How else would it end? It should have been obvious to you right from the beginning talking about finding the camera. I actually think I'd be mad if it ended any other way.

Also, I didn't catch the thing falling into the ocean at the end. Kinda makes me mad now. edumacate;

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: One Man Freak Show on January 20, 2008, 04:27:28 PM
I don't see how people can hate the ending.

How else would it end? It should have been obvious to you right from the beginning talking about finding the camera. I actually think I'd be mad if it ended any other way.

Also, I didn't catch the thing falling into the ocean at the end. Kinda makes me mad now. edumacate;
Go watch it again faggot. It's worth it  baddood;
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Snorkel

Apparently people getting sick from the camera movement was a big thing... I wasn't sick at all, and I can't even imagine someone getting sick just from watching a jerky camera.

I personally thought the movie was great; it was a fresh experience. I know it's not the first time that that style has been used (cough Blair Witch Project cough), but Blair Witch sucked and this didn't. What I liked most was how they got the 100% action, awesome, badass generated scenes to look like they were captured on a Handicam -- the Army rushing down a street and trying to obliterate the thing with rockets like a bunch of Space Marine Devastators, the monster destroying buildings, the Statue of Liberty head flying down the street, etc.

I've heard a lot of people bash it for not having a coherent plot, etc. Well fuck that, it's obviously not supposed to be a cinematic masterpiece. It's one of those movies that's more of an experience than something you look at and appreciate like a piece of art -- Pan's Labyrinth is another example of this. That movie is really an emotionally thrilling experience more than anything else (although it gets 10's for filmography type things too). However, the nature of Cloverfield more than made up for lack of classical movie elements. At the end I was thinking, "Where did it come from?", "Holy shit it's still alive what happens next", and "I want to know more", not "well that sucked".

I left the theater thoroughly thrilled, and really the only complaint I can come up with is that it was a bit short and didn't have enough awesome monster battle scenes. The ending was still very good, though.

Overall, 8.5/10 from me.

Commander Fuckass

January 20, 2008, 07:03:35 PM #18 Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:09:05 PM by steal
Quote from: Snorkel on January 20, 2008, 06:47:40 PM
Apparently people getting sick from the camera movement was a big thing... I wasn't sick at all, and I can't even imagine someone getting sick just from watching a jerky camera.

I personally thought the movie was great; it was a fresh experience. I know it's not the first time that that style has been used (cough Blair Witch Project cough), but Blair Witch sucked and this didn't. What I liked most was how they got the 100% action, awesome, badass generated scenes to look like they were captured on a Handicam -- the Army rushing down a street and trying to obliterate the thing with rockets like a bunch of Space Marine Devastators, the monster destroying buildings, the Statue of Liberty head flying down the street, etc.

I've heard a lot of people bash it for not having a coherent plot, etc. Well fuck that, it's obviously not supposed to be a cinematic masterpiece. It's one of those movies that's more of an experience than something you look at and appreciate like a piece of art -- Pan's Labyrinth is another example of this. That movie is really an emotionally thrilling experience more than anything else (although it gets 10's for filmography type things too). However, the nature of Cloverfield more than made up for lack of classical movie elements. At the end I was thinking, "Where did it come from?", "Holy shit it's still alive what happens next", and "I want to know more", not "well that sucked".

I left the theater thoroughly thrilled, and really the only complaint I can come up with is that it was a bit short and didn't have enough awesome monster battle scenes. The ending was still very good, though.

Overall, 8.5/10 from me.
If you watched in the background at the end you see it fall into the water, so I'm guessing it came from space.  doodthing; I hope there is a sequel, there is no doubt in my mind there will be one though. 

One Man Freak Show

Quote from: Captain Yesterday on January 20, 2008, 07:03:35 PM
If you watched in the background at the end you see it fall into the water, so I'm guessing it came from space.  doodthing; I hope there is a sequel, there is no doubt in my mind there will be one though. 

Actually, supposedly if you look hard enough, it's a satellite with the Slusho logo on it, so Slusho undoubtedly has to do with it.

Commander Fuckass

January 20, 2008, 07:46:39 PM #20 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 07:53:33 PM by Captain Yesterday
Quote from: One Man Freak Show on January 20, 2008, 07:19:09 PM
Actually, supposedly if you look hard enough, it's a satellite with the Slusho logo on it, so Slusho undoubtedly has to do with it.
damn Japanese  baddood;

but seriously where did you find that out at

It needs to hurry up and get released on DVD  baddood;

The Cloverfield incarnation of Slusho! is a subsidary of Tagruato, a fictional Japanese drilling company. Its role may be foreshadowed, if not given away entirely, in the history of the drink on the Slusho! official website. Here it is revealed that Slusho! contains an ingredient "discovered on the deep ocean floor, under amazing pressure and in the most extreme cold."

Snorkel

Quote from: Captain Yesterday on January 20, 2008, 07:46:39 PM
damn Japanese  baddood;

but seriously where did you find that out at

It needs to hurry up and get released on DVD  baddood;

The Cloverfield incarnation of Slusho! is a subsidary of Tagruato, a fictional Japanese drilling company. Its role may be foreshadowed, if not given away entirely, in the history of the drink on the Slusho! official website. Here it is revealed that Slusho! contains an ingredient "discovered on the deep ocean floor, under amazing pressure and in the most extreme cold."

Also if you look at Tagruato's website, they have a map of their deep sea drilling locations, and one of them is a bit east of the US in the Atlantic; so the actual canon behind the monster is probably that it was disturbed by some deep sea drilling operation, followed an oil tanker back to New York (an oil tanker was the first thing it destroyed), and then proceeded to wreck stuff.

Pyrate

Wow, a very thrilling movie. The beginning was a bit slow and boring, but the rest of the film made up for it. And wtf is wrong with the ending? goonish

and fuck i didn't see it fall and the water. and i should have stayed and watched all the credits

Feynman

Quote from: Pyrate on January 22, 2008, 04:31:37 PM
and fuck i didn't see it fall and the water. and i should have stayed and watched all the credits

At the end of the credits, someone just screams something you can't really make out and the part where people say "something falls in the water" is right before the credits when it cuts back to the Coney Island part.

Thyme

I went to see it yesterday and I loved it. No other movie has kept me on the edge of my seat as much as this one. I liked the ending too, I disagree with the idea that a movie necessarily has to end with a complete resolve or, even worse, a good ending. That was a good bad ending. I didn't see the monster/satellite fall in the water, though.

I don't think there should be a sequel, though. That was pretty much a one-time-only experience, a sequel would ruin it.

The Speaker Of Words

Someone posted this one /tv/ the other day and it made perfect sense to me:

ancient breed of critter at bottom of ocean. Slush finds it and starts scrapping crap off it to make slusho drinks. Mining facility is digging for more of them, eggs, what have you. Satelite falls out of space, due to tidowave sabotage, and they find out that slusho is made form some kind of animal and go investigate. They start sabotaging the "oil" rig, and Clovie comes in. Satelite woke up the critter, it's lonely scared etc, and some little bastards are stabbing it and making loud noises. So it responds with loud noises and wreaking shit. Rig blows, and clover-critter is on the loose.

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: XYZ on January 24, 2008, 02:42:39 PM
Someone posted this one /tv/ the other day and it made perfect sense to me:

ancient breed of critter at bottom of ocean. Slush finds it and starts scrapping crap off it to make slusho drinks. Mining facility is digging for more of them, eggs, what have you. Satelite falls out of space, due to tidowave sabotage, and they find out that slusho is made form some kind of animal and go investigate. They start sabotaging the "oil" rig, and Clovie comes in. Satelite woke up the critter, it's lonely scared etc, and some little bastards are stabbing it and making loud noises. So it responds with loud noises and wreaking shit. Rig blows, and clover-critter is on the loose.
It's not sad if it eats people  baddood;

Pyrate

January 25, 2008, 07:37:48 AM #27 Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 04:36:43 PM by Pyrate
i find the movie scarier if it's just some random monster that came out of nowhere

I saw it again and saw it fall in the water, and heard the radio transmission. The guy says, "IT'S STILL ALIVE." doodthing;

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Pyrate on January 25, 2008, 07:37:48 AM
i find the movie scarier if it's just some random monster that came out of nowhere

I saw it again and saw it fall in the water, and heard the radio transmission. The guy says, "IT'S STILL ALIVE." doodthing;
FUCKING SEQUEL TIME MR J.J. FUCKING ABRAMS

Feynman

Go Up