September 26, 2024, 03:44:47 PM

1,531,323 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

the clash

Started by Andrew1911, January 02, 2008, 10:18:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Andrew1911

January 02, 2008, 10:18:10 PM Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:59:15 PM by reefer
discuss the amazingness of london calling plz

u can also discuss sandinsta i suppose :|

Houdini

London Calling is easily the best punk album ever released.

keatsta

Quote from: Houdini on January 02, 2008, 10:39:49 PM
London Calling is easily the best punk album ever released.

lol

that is all.

Andrew1911

keatsta

London Calling is a good album. There's really no denying that. But I wouldn't call it the best punk album of all time. Hell, I wouldn't even call it a punk album. It's much more of a classic rock album than anything. It's about as punk as Green Day.

Houdini

Quote from: keatsta on January 03, 2008, 12:16:07 AM
London Calling is a good album. There's really no denying that. But I wouldn't call it the best punk album of all time. Hell, I wouldn't even call it a punk album. It's much more of a classic rock album than anything. It's about as punk as Green Day.
It was made by a punk band, though, so it's not a stretch to pigeonhole it as punk. If you don't think the Clash is a punk band, then you need to listen to their first album.

Just out of curiosity, what, in your opinion, is the greatest punk album?

Houdini

Quote from: steal on January 03, 2008, 12:28:45 AM
Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables :|
Fresh Fruit is definitely a contender.

keatsta

Quote from: Houdini on January 03, 2008, 12:30:38 AM
It was made by a punk band, though, so it's not a stretch to pigeonhole it as punk. If you don't think the Clash is a punk band, then you need to listen to their first album.

Just out of curiosity, what, in your opinion, is the greatest punk album?

I guess it's reasonable to say that the Clash is a punk band. Really, though, despite influencing many punk acts to follow, it probably wouldn't be labeled as anything close to punk if making music today.

As for greatest punk album... It's hard to say, and it depends exactly on what you consider punk. Wire's Pink Flag and Chairs Missing are definitely contenders, but they're more of the classic rock/classic punk variety. As for more recent stuff... Against Me's Reinventing Axel Rose?

YPrrrr

Yep, I love it. Probably my favorite album of any music genre.

The song itself is not my favorite of theirs, but it's still up there. And I'd definitely classify them as a punk band. Sure some stuff is basically just classic rock, but their overall group message is definitely more of the former.

Selkie

Meh

Brand new Cadillac (i think that's what it's called), London Calling, and Rock the Casbah are the only songs that appeal to me.

Though I do appreciate their impact on music.

Houdini

Quote from: keatsta on January 03, 2008, 05:33:11 AM
I guess it's reasonable to say that the Clash is a punk band. Really, though, despite influencing many punk acts to follow, it probably wouldn't be labeled as anything close to punk if making music today.

As for greatest punk album... It's hard to say, and it depends exactly on what you consider punk. Wire's Pink Flag and Chairs Missing are definitely contenders, but they're more of the classic rock/classic punk variety. As for more recent stuff... Against Me's Reinventing Axel Rose?
I would consider Wire to be post-punk.

Andrew1911

Quote from: fag on January 03, 2008, 02:10:10 PM
Meh

Brand new Cadillac (i think that's what it's called), London Calling, and Rock the Casbah are the only songs that appeal to me.

Though I do appreciate their impact on music.

Rock the Casbah isn't even on the album. Have you even listened to it?

The artist formally known

The Clash is hardly punk, but yes, if I had to specify what they were I'd say punk over anything.

I do like them, from what I've heard.

LINK2K9

Haven't listened to it in a while, but I remember it being a damn fine album. Is Combat Rock any good, other then Rock the Casbah and Should I Stay or Should I Go?

lol lara lol

Houdini

Quote from: LINK2K9 on January 03, 2008, 09:48:23 PM
Haven't listened to it in a while, but I remember it being a damn fine album. Is Combat Rock any good, other then Rock the Casbah and Should I Stay or Should I Go?
It's okay, but it's far inferior to London Calling and s/t.

Go Up