September 26, 2024, 03:54:20 PM

1,531,323 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Why the hell can't people listen to music?

Started by Selkie, November 03, 2007, 02:03:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Selkie

Seriously, music has to be SO FREAKING restricted these days to be considered 'good' and 'listenable' to the general population.

I hate it.

I hate when they edit 5 minute-long songs, to make it shorter. FIVE MINUTES ISN'T LONG. I hate how any song over 6 or 7 minutes won't even be considered as a song to be played on the radio. I hate how all the bands today take the easy way out and make shity simplistic and meaningless music and guarantee themselves a record deal.

God forbid a band tries to do something risky. The Mars Volta basically committed suicide by making Frances the Mute, they got away with it, but they were very lucky for that.

I fucking hate it when everyone complains about a song that's over 5 minutes long, or skips over 'boring' parts.

Samus Aran

That's the main reason that Pink Floyd haters I know have for hating them. "Songs are too long and boring lol."

:'(

ncba93ivyase

November 03, 2007, 02:11:23 PM #2 Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 02:14:46 PM by Lawlz
The Mars Volta makes great music, but the 5 minute intro to Frances the Mute that is nothing but ringing just seems rather unnecessary. Cut that back to about 30 seconds, and it'd be great. psyduck;

When something is dragged out to an extent so much so that it's just annoying, there's a problem. That doesn't mean I want something like Cassandra Gemini cut down to 5 minutes, but that parts that really don't serve too much purpose can be slimmed down a bit (Frances the Mute). We have bigger problems on our hands; wiping out crap like Fallout Boy and My Chemical Romance is a good place to start.

lol engrish caterpie;

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Houdini

FUN FACT: The target demographic for pop music is made up of worthless, borderline retarded ingrates.

Wolf Link

You like risks? Try decaptitating yourself on stage in the era of the Beatles and the Stones. THAT'S a risky move =P

One of the many reasons Alice Cooper is my favorite singer/band. =P

I agree, though. Many people have far too restricted views on the different styles of music out there.

So a song over 5 minutes is bad? Than why is Free Bird one of the most recognized songs on the radio?
So your song about your girlfriend leaving you is "meaningful?" Listen to a song about an alcoholic trying to beat his addiction to avoid hurting his family. THAT is meaningful.

Seems like a lot of modern bands try to go for the cliche song subjects. It sucks xD

Houdini

FUN FACT: All popular music made in the past century is written about cliche subjects.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on November 04, 2007, 10:28:44 AM
FUN FACT: All popular music made in the past century is written about cliche subjects.

CAN'T BUY ME LOOOOOVE
IS THIS LOVE THAT I'M FEELIN
WHAT IS LOVE BABY DON'T HURT ME

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE LOVE LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED

Houdini

Quote from: Rei Kazanami on November 04, 2007, 11:14:01 AM
CAN'T BUY ME LOOOOOVE
IS THIS LOVE THAT I'M FEELIN
WHAT IS LOVE BABY DON'T HURT ME

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE LOVE LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED
I'M DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS
WITH EVERY CHRISTMAS CARD I WRITE
MAY YOUR DAYS BE MERRY AND BRIGHT
AND MAY ALL YOUR CHRISTMASES BE WHITE

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on November 04, 2007, 11:20:20 AM
I'M DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS
WITH EVERY CHRISTMAS CARD I WRITE
MAY YOUR DAYS BE MERRY AND BRIGHT
AND MAY ALL YOUR CHRISTMASES BE WHITE

BABY COME BACK TO ME
BABY COME ON HOME
IT'S NOT THE SAME SINCE YOU LEFT ME

Houdini

Quote from: Rei Kazanami on November 04, 2007, 11:32:26 AM
BABY COME BACK TO ME
BABY COME ON HOME
IT'S NOT THE SAME SINCE YOU LEFT ME
NUMBER 9
NUMBER 9
NUMBER 9
NUMBER 9
NUMBER 9
NUMBER 9
NUMBER 9

Selkie

Is it still me that makes you sweat?
Am I who you think about in bed?
When the lights are dim and your hands are shaking as you're sliding off your dress?
Then think of what you did
And how I hope to God he was worth it.

o so beautiful.

Daddy

I hate listening to the radio.   The songs themselves are shit.

Fallout Boy, Panic! at the Disco? T-Pain? Soulja Boy?

What the fuck is this?  That's not music.   

The "Rock" they play on the radio all sounds the same, while the "rap" is all that shitty snap stuff that has no real point.  Huge record labels and other companies have officially raped music. No longer can you hear quality, original music on the radio, or see it on TV.   There are rare occasions that a good song is released but other than that there is nothing. 

Mainstream America is just too retarded. :'(

The artist formally known

5 minutes is very short for what I listen to usually.

How far to Asgaard is such a bad ass song and I've listened to it quite a few times, it's about 25 minutes long. And of course The Odyssey from Symphony X though I'm not too fond of it. 24 minutes.

The Divine Wings of Tragedy kicks ass, 20 minutes.

Only progressive music can span over 6 minutes in my opinion. Metallica is a little too long for how non-progressive they are in my opinion but I can listen to Opeth's Delivence without ever wanting to fast forward, though I do like to play the sound out in my head because I've memorized the whole 14 minutes of it and can play it in my head.

Samus Aran

Quote from: JMV290 on November 04, 2007, 10:33:55 PM
I hate listening to the radio.   The songs themselves are shit.

Fallout Boy, Panic! at the Disco? T-Pain? Soulja Boy?

What the fuck is this?  That's not music.   

The "Rock" they play on the radio all sounds the same, while the "rap" is all that shitty snap stuff that has no real point.  Huge record labels and other companies have officially raped music. No longer can you hear quality, original music on the radio, or see it on TV.   There are rare occasions that a good song is released but other than that there is nothing. 

Mainstream America is just too retarded. :'(

Even classic rock stations suck. Almost everything they play is generic 80s material.

Like I need to hear Aerosmith a billion more times. Christ.

Go Up