October 03, 2024, 08:33:15 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Should I download Debian?

Started by Kingoftherings, September 28, 2007, 07:25:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kingoftherings

For some reason, I've become interested in downloading Debian (a free Linux Distro, which Ubuntu is based off of), but its three DVDs.  D:

The good thing is that a stable release of Debian lasts a year and a half, compared to most distros (Ubuntu included) update every six months.

Or should I just fork over $10 and have it mailed to me?  >_>

I have decent internet, but three DVDs is going to take forever, even on Bittorrent.  D:

guff

just get the damn online install thingy which would only use one cd and wouldn't give you all the crap you would never need and you'd have fewer updates to do right off the bat

Title27GT

Linux sounds really fucking awesome but then you use it and ur like ok

Feynman

Quote from: Title on September 29, 2007, 08:42:25 AM
Linux sounds really fucking awesome but then you use it and ur like ok

That's because it's just an operating system. psyduck;

Title27GT

Quote from: Bassir C. on September 29, 2007, 08:57:24 AM
That's because it's just an operating system. psyduck;
no shit

thats why its really not that exciting

Feynman

Title27GT

Quote from: Bassir C. on September 29, 2007, 09:07:37 AM
Operating systems never are. psyduck;
cept for windows cuz its got gaems amirite

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Bassir C. on September 29, 2007, 09:07:37 AM
Operating systems never are. psyduck;
OS X amazed me for about the first 3 or 4 months. psyduck;

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

guff

Quote from: Lawlz on September 29, 2007, 10:22:11 AM
I've been sorely disappointed with my use of it for the last 3 or so weeks. psyduck;

granted the shitty mice don't help but other than a few nice visual effects it's pretty lackluster

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lawlz on September 29, 2007, 10:22:11 AM

You must've been a complete dumbass during your first 3 or 4 months then, becasue OS X doesn't offer anything that's incredible or unpredictable or anything.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Kazcadian on September 29, 2007, 10:56:25 AM
You must've been a complete dumbass during your first 3 or 4 months then, becasue OS X doesn't offer anything that's incredible or unpredictable or anything.
Going from XP on a shitty Compaq to a Mac is a pretty big jump.
Quote from: Commodore Guff on September 29, 2007, 10:31:12 AM
I've been sorely disappointed with my use of it for the last 3 or so weeks. psyduck;

granted the shitty mice don't help but other than a few nice visual effects it's pretty lackluster
and ubuntu gives me jack shit except for being able to run some open source apps lie gimp in an environment that isnt as annoying as os x's x11

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

guff

Quote from: Lawlz on September 29, 2007, 11:00:09 AM
and ubuntu gives me jack shit except for being able to run some open source apps lie gimp in an environment that isnt as annoying as os x's x11
so rather than actually defending os x you're just going to say ubuntu isn't any better?

also how long did you use the livecd for

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Commodore Guff on September 29, 2007, 11:02:34 AM
so rather than actually defending os x you're just going to say ubuntu isn't any better?

also how long did you use the livecd for
regardless of what you say i wont be able to sway you just like ill probably never really like ubuntu

I've installed it on a few systems with about a month of casual use. I really see it as nothing but a novelty, and not something for everyday use.

guff

Quote from: Lawlz on September 29, 2007, 11:05:47 AM
regardless of what you say i wont be able to sway you just like ill probably never really like ubuntu

I've installed it on a few systems with about a month of casual use. I really see it as nothing but a novelty, and not something for everyday use.
yay for cop-outs

which systems, and why a few of them psyduck;
why is it not for everyday use
what does it lack that makes it a novelty

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lawlz on September 29, 2007, 11:00:09 AM
Compaq

Well that explains it. Why were you blaming everything on the operating system when you were trying to use something like a Compaq?

Go Up