August 18, 2018, 11:22:02 PM

1,526,000 Posts in 45,758 Topics by 1,031 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

""authentic"" food

Started by steal, May 02, 2017, 02:21:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

steal

May 02, 2017, 02:21:45 PM Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:30:20 PM by steal
what do u think about ""authentic"" food? does your blood boil when u hear a white person complain about the authenticity of a chinese restaurant, or do u, a savant of ethnic flavors, travel the united states seeking only the most ""authentic"" foreign foods?

i saw a vice article about this chinese american food vs white ppl seeking "authenticity" idea recently and it resonated w/ me b/c my gf's family owns a chinese restaurant in a v white upper class town, and i've seen yelp reviews of her restaurant from food snobs saying it's bad b/c it's not "authentic".

this kind of talk irks me because
1. the food is DANK.
2. her family immigrated here to make a better life for themselves and has been busting ass from 5 in the morning to 11 at night for 25 years making chinese food for u
3. 99% of people who call chinese american restaurants "inauthentic" have never been to china
4. food is adapted based on tastes and availability and the fact that americanized chinese food is it's own thing is p cool and also tasty

anyway here's the article that reminded me about why white ppl are the worst
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/are-we-wrong-to-call-americanized-chinese-food-inauthentic?utm_source=vicefbus

antmaster5000

Food in Thailand was pretty much the same as Thai food here just spicier and WAY less expensive

wawi

i forgot everyone other than white people know all the authentic food in the world

YPrrrr

May 02, 2017, 06:56:33 PM #3 Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:01:21 PM by YPargh
Idk that just seems like foodies in general. They always know a better place that uses all natural ingredients or is zero carbon footprint or is super authentic or blah blah blah.

I just eat food I like whether it's authentic or not.
Quote from: steal on May 02, 2017, 02:21:45 PM
anyway here's the article that reminded me about why white ppl are the worst
You should apply to Buzzfeed tho

Samus Aran

this fucking emote lmao

anyway, i never care if something is authentic or not, i just want to eat all the good food everywhere i can

Joice

the sushi from japan is like 8651325846512356845123x better than american sushi so

also i had curry last night when i went out and explored yokosuka and it was THE best curry i have ever had and it was better than curry made by indians lmao

ADX

the best curry i had was at a regular restaurant in the middle of the indian jungle, where theyre all veggie only and the thought of serving meat is offensive. indians in general though make boring curries. too much turmeric tbh.

the thought of japanese sushi though makes my mouth literally water ahhhfjsdkfs

Joice

the owner was from nepal and i think he does the cooking but there were also japanese cooks there as well. it didn't have a bunch of turmeric and it was OIISHI ^0^ it was just chicken curry. they made my rice into a heart shape and it was cute

but that cheese naan tho

oh my gooodddd

Hiro

nah I just want the food to taste good and the restaurant to have some semblance of cleanliness
my favorite ramen place is probably the opposite of authentic but it's fucking good: http://www.nonstopnoodleshop.com/

sc2020

the worst is ppl about that maxican sheit like hold uup wait a minute i dont want chile's in it.

Go Up