December 14, 2018, 04:06:13 AM

1,533,959 Posts in 46,023 Topics by 1,031 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.


what does boyah think of this pc build

Started by Magyarorszag, June 25, 2016, 03:19:52 AM

previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

y/n

y
1 (100%)
n
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Go Down

Magyarorszag

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zqgbjc

the r9 380 is just a stand-in for the 8gb rx 480, which according to rumours should hopefully be about the same price

Are there any costs that can be cut without sacrificing performance?

I'm especially uncertain about the chassis and PSU. I'm unsure of what I should be looking for in a power supply aside from sheer wattage (and a ≥4.5 star rating from owners, of course n_u).

all suggestions are welcome nyandood;

antmaster5000

idk anything about PCs really but why no SSD?

Magyarorszag

ssds are still luxury goods for me lol :'(

Is there a high-quality SSD of reasonable capacity that I could maybe get for ~$50? I think I can afford that at least. sillydood;

also i just picked up the i5-6500 and hdd ($244 total after taxes) from microcenter giggle;

i can't wait to regret spending this kind of money a few days from now

antmaster5000

no idea about current models (i'd just be googling the same shit as you and probably less effectively lol) but from talking to friends it sounds like the strat is to have a SSD for the OS and necessary programs (though it depends how many games you wanna have on at one time for max performance) is totally worth it
idk if it's something you could add onto your build after the fact but if not i think it'd be worth it to pay an extra ~$100 for one

man i'm sure you will have no regrets. i plan on doing the same thing when i am back in the states
i am actually tempted to build one here but then it would just be another thing that i have to worry about lugging back somehow lol

C.Mongler

dis is fine. you could probably save a little on a mobo, mine was like 75 bucks, but i dont have a mini case so im not sure mine would fit or what hot mobos exist in that price range. everything else is probably about as low as you would want to get for modern gaming

also keep in mind the 480 isnt going to hit MSRP and good stock until probably septemeber october MAYBE, really depends on how much stock AMD has prepped for launch. even if it's twice as much as Nvidia's stock, that's probably the case, so u might be waiting a minute

David

Is there a reason why you want an ITX case over a traditional midtower lol befuddlement

antmaster5000


David

Quote from: antmaster5000 on June 30, 2016, 07:01:53 AM
the ITX case is so cool lookin'
yeah but there are plenty of good looking midtower cases that aren't a pain to build in

Magyarorszag

bought the last of my components and built/attempted to boot it for the first time last night

i'm pleased to announce that there were no sparks/fire/smoke/strange odorsthis time and driver installation is progressing smoothly happydood;

now i just need to buy a gpu eventually lol

Magyarorszag

June 30, 2016, 10:44:44 PM #9 Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:16:25 PM by Tectron
Quote from: antmaster5000 on June 25, 2016, 11:44:38 PM
no idea about current models (i'd just be googling the same shit as you and probably less effectively lol) but from talking to friends it sounds like the strat is to have a SSD for the OS and necessary programs (though it depends how many games you wanna have on at one time for max performance) is totally worth it
idk if it's something you could add onto your build after the fact but if not i think it'd be worth it to pay an extra ~$100 for one

man i'm sure you will have no regrets. i plan on doing the same thing when i am back in the states
i am actually tempted to build one here but then it would just be another thing that i have to worry about lugging back somehow lol


yeah that's the typical inconvenient ssd setup, unfortunately they're still way too expensive to use for general storage

in spite of that, you convinced me to spend an extra $60 on a cheap 240gb ssd anyway for my windows install and other priority programs lol >.<

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019H3B3OW/ref=twister_B019X0UAT8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and i can't say i regret it, i noticed the difference immediately - even this cheap ssd is bewilderingly faster than booting from a traditional hdd

now i just have to figure out what other programs are "priority" for me, i can't have even a megabyte of this ssd go to waste

so now my build total before taxes is up to ~$750 (rx 480 turned out to be about $20 more than i expected), which still isn't so terrible

also do it !! it's not nearly as intimidating as it may seem and i'm positive you'll get great use out of your own build lol

by the time you do return there will be some fantastic gpu options on the market at very attractive prices, this is an ideal time to invest in a pc n_u

Magyarorszag

i do have one regret: the day after i bought my 8gb of 2400mhz memory for $30, there was a 24-hour sale on 16gb 3000mhz memory for $55

Magyarorszag

June 30, 2016, 11:00:55 PM #11 Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:17:03 PM by Tectron
Quote from: C.Mongler on June 27, 2016, 08:45:05 AM
dis is fine. you could probably save a little on a mobo, mine was like 75 bucks, but i dont have a mini case so im not sure mine would fit or what hot mobos exist in that price range. everything else is probably about as low as you would want to get for modern gaming

also keep in mind the 480 isnt going to hit MSRP and good stock until probably septemeber october MAYBE, really depends on how much stock AMD has prepped for launch. even if it's twice as much as Nvidia's stock, that's probably the case, so u might be waiting a minute


i looked all over for a cheaper mobo of equal functionality but unfortunately i don't think i could have cut costs there without sacrificing wifi or bluetooth, which was not an option

and yeah, i figured that'd be the case with the 480, new high-demand gpus always end up in the hands of scalpers (and tinfoil-wearing cryptocurrency miners) before prices settle a few weeks later

but it's not exactly urgent, i can survive on intel hd grafix for a few weeks lol, not to mention that i'm waiting for an aftermarket card anyway (lol@those reference 480 heat/power issues srs)

plus i have this sweet r7 250 i can use in the meantime, that'll give me a whole 7.5fps advantage over the igpu happydood;

also with rumours about an early july reveal of the gtx 1060 now swirling around, i'd very much like to see if invidious nvidia can possibly riposte the 480 before i make any commitments

in reality i probably won't actually buy a discrete gpu until late july lol, but when i do it'll be as simple as sliding it into my otherwise complete build n_n

Magyarorszag

Quote from: David on June 30, 2016, 06:38:53 AM
Is there a reason why you want an ITX case over a traditional midtower lol befuddlement


not really, that case was just a placeholder honestly

i actually still haven't purchased my own case yet, i'm temporarily just using my brother's old one which is excessively large for my needs lol (great for airflow though i guess)

I am an absolute fool for not buying this amazing case the other day when it was just $35. It would have been perfect. awdood;

but until i can find another chassis of such high caliber at a price like that, my pc's temporary home will be this gargantuan hand-me-down

C.Mongler

i feel like if nvidia shows off a 1060 this month they're gonna fuck the bucket with the launch of that like they did the 1070 & 1080; i bought my 1070 for 80 above MSRP and i got it by constantly refreshing stock sites and subscribing to text "in-stock" notifications lol

honestly the 1070 is a fucking beast though, if you're going to wait i don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to consider one for the extra money once the aftermarket hits MSRP. it'll serve you probably a year or more longer than a 480.

but the 480 is a nice little piece in it's own so it's not that big of a deal tbh, we're talking a difference of like 10-15 FPS at this intersection of gaming, and you could always crossfire another one if u feel like u aint got enuff juice (though that has compatibility issues with some games)

but it actually seems like AMD has their shit together kind of for their launch so maybe it'll be about August when the MSRP aftermarket shit starts springing up on those too

Magyarorszag

more regrets: i paid $60 for a 240gb ssd, only to find this one sale today:

http://www.frys.com/product/8760721?site=20emailweb070116

480gb for the very same $60, and benchmarks suggest its performance is equal if not marginally superior to that of the model i purchased a few days ago :'(

Go Up