December 14, 2018, 04:18:40 AM

1,533,959 Posts in 46,023 Topics by 1,031 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

BOYAH GUTS THREAD: R8 'N' B8

Started by David, December 20, 2014, 10:24:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Magyarorszag

Quote from: Snowy on June 09, 2018, 08:53:26 PM
what cpu do you have again? Ryzen 2xxx are getting stellar reviews rn, and GPUs on the secondhand market are dropping like a stone. I thinka  1080 these days are... about $400? I plan on picking up a 2nd 1080 and a SLI bridge for funsies.

i5 6500, which in retrospect was a poor choice even when i bought it

i should have gone for at least the 6600k, that would have probably kept me comfortable for significantly longer

oh well i've learned my lesson: never take advice from [glow=black,2,300]r*ddit[/glow] ugly;

it doesn't really make sense for me to upgrade to anything right now though because gaming performance on the ryzen side isn't nearly $400 (cpu + mobo) better than what the 6500 offers, and on the intel side, i would be crazy to """upgrade""" from a 14nm cpu to another 14nm cpu lol

i'll wait for intel's 10nm cannon lake to FINALLY arrive in 2019 (assuming they don't delay again) before i seriously consider a cpu upgrade

on the gpu side, i have a fury, and really its biggest limitation is the 4gb of vram

though again, upgrading now seems silly because pascal is so old and gpu prices so absurd and nothing short of a 1080ti would make any sense as an upgrade from a fury

so i'll just be patient and wait4volta

but it means i'll be stuck on this build for at least another year before i make any significant changes to it

[spoiler]

but honestly i play so few cutting-edge games at launch that i hardly even feel its limitations lol

in truth, i'm just a consumerist whore :'([/spoiler]

Snowy

Oh you have a fury? That's the one with the little watercooler right? That card is super great. I probably would have gotten one if it have more ram honestly.
Quote from: Samus Aran on November 05, 2009, 12:50:30 PMlast night i bludgeoned a bull moose to death with my cock

Magyarorszag

Quote from: Snowy on June 15, 2018, 10:20:07 PM
Oh you have a fury? That's the one with the little watercooler right? That card is super great. I probably would have gotten one if it have more ram honestly.

the fury x is the one with the water cooler, the standard fury is just beneath the x in performance and uses traditional fan-based cooling lol

honestly it's a mostly adequate card for my needs, but the 4gb of ram really does bottleneck it sometimes

what was amd thinking

if it'd had even 6gb it'd have much greater longevity

Snowy

Quote from: Magyarorszag on June 15, 2018, 10:54:11 PM
Quote from: Snowy on June 15, 2018, 10:20:07 PMOh you have a fury? That's the one with the little watercooler right? That card is super great. I probably would have gotten one if it have more ram honestly.

the fury x is the one with the water cooler, the standard fury is just beneath the x in performance and uses traditional fan-based cooling lol

honestly it's a mostly adequate card for my needs, but the 4gb of ram really does bottleneck it sometimes

what was amd thinking

if it'd had even 6gb it'd have much greater longevity
that's why my 980 wasn't really cutting it anymore. 4gb of VRAM was so limiting.
Quote from: Samus Aran on November 05, 2009, 12:50:30 PMlast night i bludgeoned a bull moose to death with my cock

Go Up