September 23, 2024, 05:21:49 AM

1,531,320 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

holy fuck was that real?

Started by applesauce, January 14, 2012, 09:28:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

applesauce

so yesterday me and a friend drove out to an old mining town in rural Illinois to explore some mines and found 5 medium sized ones, and this one super huge one that went on for miles and miles and miles. It had lotas of tunnels lined with minecart tracks, old broken down dump trucks and minecarts, 3 underground lakes, and an old cold war era civil defense fallout shelter with several thousand drums of supplies and such. We didn't even explore all of it-- after 5 hours of that one mine we headed out.

And then on the way home my friend fell asleep at the wheel and we ended up spun around in the median of I-80 in the middle of nowhere.

PLEASEHELP1991

totes real
like how elvis is still alive
I love [you]

applesauce

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

applesauce

Samus Aran

applesauce

ME##

Classic

applesauce

ncba93ivyase

that seems like fun, but the possibility of dying from gas scares me

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

applesauce

Quote from: <sub>Pancake</sub> <sup>Persona</sup> on January 15, 2012, 11:25:03 AM
that seems like fun, but the possibility of dying from gas scares me

You're actually much more likely to die from lack of oxygen if it is replaced by carbon monoxide than if it is replaced by methane. With both of them you can tell that you are getting lightheaded, tired, ect, but with methane you can see the clouds of it if it is in a high enough concentration to cause oxygen starvation, plus it will also cause a headache. In both cases, however, there needs to be a large enough source of the gas and low enough airflow to allow it to collect in high concentrations. These mines (cement) are very unlikely to have either. Carbon monoxide generally comes from underground fires (party bonfires or coal fires) and methane comes from organic processes (stored in coal or being produced through decay). In a mine like this we don't really have to worry about either, just like in a drain. In sewers you have to watch out for methane because of decomposition. In party caves you have to watch out for carbon monoxide, same with coal mines, but coal mines have added danger of methane.

Coal mines are also bad because the geology of where coal forms makes them especially vulnerable to collapse which of course can kill you, but also makes it more likely for air shafts and the like to be sealed off, allowing more methane to build up. Coal mines aren't very popular to explore.

Classic

I want to go adventuring with you. :'(

applesauce

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: Edina Monsoon on January 14, 2012, 09:36:18 PM
well, you didn't take any pics :(

Still, it sounded like he just described Harrisburg. It could have been real, and it could have been an Old Ben coalmine, too.

Or Sesser.
Hmph.

Go Up