September 23, 2024, 11:36:26 AM

1,531,320 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I think I'm going to go into engineering

Started by strongbad, January 03, 2012, 07:51:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Quote from: applesauce on January 03, 2012, 09:14:55 AM
Not sure where you're getting your salary stuff but mechanical and aerospace engineers typically start out around 70-80k and move up to 120-150k.

But yeah if you're in college in precalc maybe you shouldn't be an engineer.

Well I haven't been taking classes focusing towards an engineering major, so I have to do it now. I took precalc in high school, but i don't have the credits.

And probably mechanical, but I'd need to transfer to another school (probably UW Bothel) to get it figured out

and i'm not retarded, i know what it entails.

PLEASEHELP1991

you know there's prolly a math placement test at your school like compass or clep, so you can be placed into the right course
I love [you]

ncba93ivyase

um how many semesters have you already taken

because if you haven't taken any engineering courses yet, i hope you realize that everything so far is worthless since it contributes nothing to your major

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Daddy

Are you even interested in engineering? Majoring in something you have no interest in just for the money is stupid. 

also lol at precalc. akudood;

PLEASEHELP1991

i think david would make a very capable engineer from the engineers i've seen in real life
I love [you]

Josh

Quote from: Zach on January 03, 2012, 11:51:00 PM
Another soul lost in the wilderness.
Meh. Worst case scenario, I become a lazy, shitty high school teacher.

strongbad

Quote from: <sub>Pancake</sub> <sup>Persona</sup> on January 04, 2012, 06:42:04 AM
um how many semesters have you already taken

because if you haven't taken any engineering courses yet, i hope you realize that everything so far is worthless since it contributes nothing to your major

Starting this semester. I understand that it would be a lot more work than what I'd do if I decided to keep doing Journalism, but I would much rather look into it and make an educated decision as to whether or not it's worth it rather than not doing it and wishing that I had. Even if it means that I'd need to go to college for a 5th or 6th year to get my degree, it would be worth it in my opinion.

And I'm not committing or anything. Technically I'm still pre-declared in Journalism, and am still taking courses towards that. I'm just taking a few courses to cover the engineering prereqs as well to see if it's something that interests me.

strongbad

Quote from: Felt on January 04, 2012, 06:40:58 AM
you know there's prolly a math placement test at your school like compass or clep, so you can be placed into the right course

Yeah, I took that immediately in college and qualified for precalc. I would have liked to take accelerated precalc (combines 114 and 115 into one quarter) since it is review for me, but the only class available is full and I missed the waitlist.

snoorkel

Quote from: MF Doom on January 04, 2012, 10:54:45 AM
Yeah, I took that immediately in college and qualified for precalc. I would have liked to take accelerated precalc (combines 114 and 115 into one quarter) since it is review for me, but the only class available is full and I missed the waitlist.

you could try studying up past calc I/II and intro to physics levels by yourself and retaking the placement tests, or just emailing professors really sincerely.

PLEASEHELP1991

professors very rarely give prerequisite exemptions because precalculus is one of those courses where the math department gets the majority of their funding
but yeah, try to self-study calculus because they end up teaching the hack-n-slash way anyway in such an introductory course
I love [you]

strongbad

Quote from: N o t S i d on January 04, 2012, 01:10:07 AM
David, why don't you just go into an outdoorsy field since you enjoy being active and outside? maybe be a forest ranger? an outdoor therapist? I dunno.

these are suggestions.

I've thought about doing geology or environmental science but idk there is no real draw for me. Taking an esci class would be kinda cool though.

snoorkel

Quote from: MF Doom on January 04, 2012, 07:32:47 PM
I've thought about doing geology or environmental science but idk there is no real draw for me. Taking an esci class would be kinda cool though.

do geology, learn the secrets of geomancy

silvertone

Hiro

i don't know man i wouldn't want to shovel coal into a train all my life but if that's what you're into

Daddy

Quote from: Hiroglyph on January 05, 2012, 01:10:30 PM
i don't know man i wouldn't want to shovel coal into a train all my life but if that's what you're into
wat

Go Up