September 28, 2024, 04:24:42 AM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

guys

Started by Samus Aran, November 15, 2011, 12:06:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: applesauce on November 15, 2011, 12:16:18 PM
Have you ever read anything by Anne Dillard? I know Dan is about to come in here and rail on her, but I thought her books were generally very inspiring when it came to writing nonfiction.

i VAGUELY recall reading a nature writing by her, something about a moth

and also something about waking up with blood on her sheets from a dog or something and i think she said in an interview that many of those details were ficticious and she got a lot of backlash about it because it blurred the lines between fiction and nonfiction but she had a very good defense for what nonfiction can and can't be

it's been a while but Dillard in general has come up quite a bit yeah, even if her actual writing maybe i don't remember too well

Samus Aran

Quote from: N o t S i d on November 15, 2011, 12:18:35 PM
This.

Many writers got their start like this. Edgar Allen Poe springs to mind, but there are definitely many others. If you're going to have a career in the arts, then you're going to have to be dedicated and get out of your comfort zone. Networking is a huge part of that, which is hard for me to admit because I hate people. Yet to be successful, you'll have to bite the bullet and be more proactive. Also, you should just send drafts to publishers or something. Kind of like how some bands will send demo tapes to record labels. Sometimes they get signed, sometimes they don't. If you can get a small publisher on your side, then it would be easier to slingshot your way to a larger publisher.

Definitely. Sending something to a mag is exactly how I want to get started. Either that or finally getting accepted into one of the school's publications. But I'm not sure if those are active this year.

piano moths

Quote from: applesauce on November 15, 2011, 12:22:12 PM
That's my name. But don't call me that.

I also actually thought your name was Andrew. I won't call you that don't worry. You do not remind me of my brother
kill them w kindness

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: Kaz on November 15, 2011, 12:23:55 PM
Definitely. Sending something to a mag is exactly how I want to get started. Either that or finally getting accepted into one of the school's publications. But I'm not sure if those are active this year.

What kind of magazines actually publish fictional works in any real capacity anymore though? I wouldn't even know where to look.

piano moths

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on November 15, 2011, 12:26:35 PM
What kind of magazines actually publish fictional works in any real capacity anymore though? I wouldn't even know where to look.

I was thinking this. I feel like this has died out a lot and that people don't read very many this in magazines like that. I really like reading and I don't even do that stuff.
kill them w kindness

Samus Aran

They still do. But there definitely aren't as many and their readership is much lower. But it's a start and that's what matters first and foremost.

Thyme

Another really easy (maybe too easy?) path to take would just be to start your own literary blog, Kaz. Post your work there. confuseddood;

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Those kinds of magazine's aren't really made for a broad audience anymore, but the "important people" read them. Publishers, fellow writers, literary agents, etc. etc. People that can help get your foot in the door.

applesauce

Quote from: Kaz on November 15, 2011, 12:22:42 PM
i VAGUELY recall reading a nature writing by her, something about a moth

and also something about waking up with blood on her sheets from a dog or something and i think she said in an interview that many of those details were ficticious and she got a lot of backlash about it because it blurred the lines between fiction and nonfiction but she had a very good defense for what nonfiction can and can't be

it's been a while but Dillard in general has come up quite a bit yeah, even if her actual writing maybe i don't remember too well

Yeah, people talk about that moth essay but I didn't like it and thought it was one of the worst short stories in the book it is from.

I took a nonfiction writing class (which wasn't really a class so much as an amazing man talked to us about shit we wrote) and the best stuff I have ever written (by far) came out of that, and I was definitely thinking about the feelings and concepts present in most of Dillard's work while I was doing it, though I really can't say I am particularly a fan of her mechanics and overall style. She just captures things in a special way.

Quote from: eeeeeee on November 15, 2011, 12:24:35 PM
I also actually thought your name was Andrew. I won't call you that don't worry. You do not remind me of my brother

wrench;

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: N o t S i d on November 15, 2011, 12:29:49 PM
Those kinds of magazine's aren't really made for a broad audience anymore, but the "important people" read them. Publishers, fellow writers, literary agents, etc. etc. People that can help get your foot in the door.

Yeah, I know that, but what are some actual publications that still focus on that?

snoorkel

The only trick to writing is reading. I've been an aspiring 'writer' since I was younger, and after writing nothing but personal journals last year, I finally got back into a heavy reading routine this year with a notebook and sticky notes beside me at all times. It's been very productive. Just grab anything you think you might be interested in, and get a cycle of 10-20 books going that gets continuously updated as you finish or add books. You'll have a head full of ideas before you know it.

Quote from: N o t S i d on November 15, 2011, 12:18:35 PM
This.

Many writers got their start like this. Edgar Allen Poe springs to mind, but there are definitely many others. If you're going to have a career in the arts, then you're going to have to be dedicated and get out of your comfort zone. Networking is a huge part of that, which is hard for me to admit because I hate people. Yet to be successful, you'll have to bite the bullet and be more proactive. Also, you should just send drafts to publishers or something. Kind of like how some bands will send demo tapes to record labels. Sometimes they get signed, sometimes they don't. If you can get a small publisher on your side, then it would be easier to slingshot your way to a larger publisher.

I don't think these are bad ideas at all, but literary magazines and publishers are a little stuck in the past... upcoming authors in the past few years have been made by e-books almost exclusively. The benefits of Internet distribution are obvious for budding writers, same as independent musicians.

Quote from: applesauce on November 15, 2011, 12:16:18 PM
Have you ever read anything by Anne Dillard? I know Dan is about to come in here and rail on her, but I thought her books were generally very inspiring when it came to writing nonfiction.

anne dillard is fine

Quote from: Trevor on November 15, 2011, 12:20:31 PM
wow

i had no idea

goowan

Quote from: eeeeeee on November 15, 2011, 12:20:57 PM
I was trying to think of what Snorkel's name is a few days ago and I just kept thinking "Andrew" because it's my brothers name and Snorkel makes me think of my brother (even though i don't think they're that similar, they're just blonde curly handsomes & weed)

goowan

Quote from: Boognish-Redux- on November 15, 2011, 12:34:26 PM
Yeah, I know that, but what are some actual publications that still focus on that?

The New Yorker

exciting possibilities right goowan

Samus Aran

I was thinking to myself a while ago and realized that whenever I went into a used book store or something like that, you know what i would see? Tons and tons of absolutely dreadful romance and sci-fi novels. TONS of them. In a USED book store. People BUY that schlock.

And this is comforting because it helps me realize that even if something I write isn't well-liked by "buffs" and critics, maybe at least someone will like it. And at the same time, if I know I can probably do better than what sells, well...maybe I can do this after all.

n_n

I watched "Ed Wood" the other day, a Burton film about...well, Ed Wood. The man often described as the worst film director in history. But he had so much heart, so much optimism, and tried so hard to make his visions come to life with what little time and money he ever managed to scrape up.

It's pretty inspiring. n_n

Samus Aran

Quote from: vziard on November 15, 2011, 12:35:05 PM
The only trick to writing is reading. I've been an aspiring 'writer' since I was younger, and after writing nothing but personal journals last year, I finally got back into a heavy reading routine this year with a notebook and sticky notes beside me at all times. It's been very productive. Just grab anything you think you might be interested in, and get a cycle of 10-20 books going that gets continuously updated as you finish or add books. You'll have a head full of ideas before you know it.

Oh man this has been one of the hardest things lately. Last semester, I got a lot of reading in, and you wouldn't believe how much I enjoyed reading something different from usual. Cause you know what it was? Young adult lit. It was so refreshing, even if it's not as "substantial" as "classics" or whatever.

But lately I have had so much trouble getting into any new books. I've mostly just been stuck reading essays that bore me, or reading back through things I've already read before (like Salinger's work, always inspirational to me)...and I have been struggling to get through this one book, Under the Volcano. I just pretty much gave up on it yesterday, it's not working out.

I need to read something else.

piano moths

Quote from: Kaz on November 15, 2011, 12:38:20 PM
I was thinking to myself a while ago and realized that whenever I went into a used book store or something like that, you know what i would see? Tons and tons of absolutely dreadful romance and sci-fi novels. TONS of them. In a USED book store. People BUY that schlock.

And this is comforting because it helps me realize that even if something I write isn't well-liked by "buffs" and critics, maybe at least someone will like it. And at the same time, if I know I can probably do better than what sells, well...maybe I can do this after all.

n_n

I watched "Ed Wood" the other day, a Burton film about...well, Ed Wood. The man often described as the worst film director in history. But he had so much heart, so much optimism, and tried so hard to make his visions come to life with what little time and money he ever managed to scrape up.

It's pretty inspiring. n_n

Yay that's a great way to look at writing and being a writer or doing anything at all. I feel like completing anything like that that you made from yourself it's good that's its even completed. Do your thing kazgirl
kill them w kindness

Samus Aran

Go Up