What IDEs and Text Editors do you use to do your coding in?

Started by Daddy, January 10, 2009, 08:53:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

guff

Quote from: Gladjaframpf on February 04, 2009, 05:55:37 PM
If you already have vim then you should be able to starting using either "evim" or "vim -y" from the terminal. It's not even a different program, just vim with some funny options set at startup.

If you don't have vim then this appears to where they keep the OSX version.
vim's included with osx, but evim doesn't seem to be present  akudood;

i think vim -y works but i am still confused  akudood;

Gladjaframpf

Well basically evim is just vim in easy mode and the -y option has the same effect. So if you start  "vim -y" from the terminal it should open a version of vim with a GUI and less incomprehensible commands.

Daddy

thezerofire

just used Jcreator. I don't code much anymore. took Comp Sci last year and that's why I used it.

strongbad

i am incredibly intrigued by emacs and vim but i think i have no reason to need such a powerful text editor

squirrelfriend

i just use textedit to edit the scripts i scrape from github or nano when i'm on my phone tbh

strongbad

Thyme

bluaki

I've been mostly using vim for the past 5 years or so.

I used Eclipse for most Java/Android stuff (haven't used Android Studio yet)
I used Visual Studio only when I had class assignments that required it.
On some occasions that call for it, I program in a hex editor, directly writing machine code or bytecode.
I use gedit sometimes as just a clipboard buffer of sorts, never for actually opening files with.
I use nano exclusively as a fallback when vim isn't installed yet.

strongbad

can you give me a dumbed down explanation of why vim is so popular and has such a legacy?

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

i dont use any because i dont code and i dont know how to code

strongbad

bluaki

Quote from: antmaster5000 on May 13, 2016, 07:24:17 PM
can you give me a dumbed down explanation of why vim is so popular and has such a legacy?
More than anything, it's because everything has keyboard shortcuts that take very few keypresses. For example, you can delete everything from the cursor to the next comma by just typing "dt,"
Just for moving the cursor around, while you can stick to arrow keys (or hjkl), you can also move it a specific number of lines at once, skip words, jump to a matching brace, jump to a specific line number, etc. There's a lot more for deleting, pasting, and tweaking text.

A caveat to that system is the learning curve. While it's easy enough to learn the minimum number of commands to use it, learning to use it well is another matter; that's part of its legacy.
To people who program for a living, it's usually worth it. Editing and reading things faster is about more than just saving time: there's a lot of value in avoiding repetitious tasks and not breaking your concentration or losing your train of thought.

It's popular enough that a lot of other editors (and other programs completely unrelated to text editing) have an option to imitate vim shortcuts.

[spoiler=tldr]
Besides that, vim also has:
* Runs in a terminal, which is useful in many situations
* Syntax highlighting for tons of languages
* Multi-pane and multi-tab
* Plugins for everything, both useful and ridiculous
* Diff support
* Free, open-source, and runs on basically any system (if you have a keyboard and text files)
* Doesn't destroy your pinky like emacs
* No close ties to any specific language, compiler, build system, etc, so you can use it for any kind of code.

People like using separate tools for a lot of software development tasks, so Vim and other stand-alone editors fit in well. A common environment for C/C++/Ada/Fortran/Assembly work might be Vim with something like just Git, GCC/LLVM (compiler), Make, GDB (debugger), and a linux commandline shell. Some other Vim users (like web developers) won't need most of those, while others might swap in other compilers, build systems, or debuggers. IDEs aren't as versatile.

On the other hand, some of those points are sometimes drawbacks that make vim seem dated. While there is a GUI version of vim, it's definitely less polished than most other graphical editors. Unlike IDEs, you won't easily see things like function parameters, autosuggest variable/function names, highlighted compiler errors, or debugging breakpoints (ctags does some of this, but that's a pain to set up and non-option for most situations)[/spoiler]

Go Up