October 05, 2024, 09:34:04 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The 4 themes of the 4 MGS games

Started by Commander Fuckass, July 22, 2008, 11:34:35 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Commander Fuckass

Yes the games actually have themes, Thief and Tec were asking about them awhile back so I decided to post them for other people to see.

Metal Gear Solid 1: GENE
Genetics is the theme of behind this game, or the idea of nature vs. nurture. This is shown by how, even though Liquid is genetically superior to Snake, Snake beats him every time. In the end Liquid has an opportunity to kill Snake but the FOXDIE virus gets him first. Since Liquid and Snake are identical, Snake will also be killed by the virus at some stage. The idea of genes expands beyond the family tree with the Genome Army. The Genome Army, is also a part of the "Legacy" of Big Boss, in that they share genetic traits with Big Boss, and also contract and die from the FOXDIE virus.

Metal Gear Solid 2: MEME
Memetic engineering (the theory that ideas, beliefs and thoughts can be isolated and controlled) is the theme of this game. The aim of The Patriots is to control the flow of information through society, censoring the public from the things they don't want shared. Solid Snake's philosophy is that humanity needs to find something worth believing in and pass it onto future generations.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater: SCENE
In contrast to "Meme" and "Gene" themes of MGS2 and 1, respectively, Scene deals heavily with Relativism - That is to say that things change from a point of view, and events change based on the climate surrounding them.

The Boss is the major illustrator of the "Scene" theme. Her speech before the last battle of MGS3 poses the dramatically ironic point that in the Twenty First Century, America and Russia may no longer be enemies. The Boss is a victim of circumstance. Her "scene", Cold War Era America, forces her to, ultimately, give her life. Naked Snake is forced to kill his former mentor due to a "Scene" he not only has no control over, but has no knowledge of.

Metal Gear Solid 4: SENSE
The major theme in MGS4 is "Sense" - Someone's understanding of the world that is lost when they die.Throughout the Japanese version of the game, the word "will" is supertitled as "SENSE," however this is translated simply as "will" in the English version of the game. This theme is prominent throughout the game, from Snake's attempt to understand Naomi's intentions to the misguided attempt of Zero to follow The Boss's will, and JD to follow his. In all of these cases, the individual's original intent and sense of the world is questioned and unclear.
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

ncba93ivyase

i was like "whoa you actually typed this" and then i googled it and saw you just copied and pasted

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

C.Mongler

i luled when meme was in the MGS dictionary

Go Up