September 23, 2024, 10:23:32 PM

1,531,321 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I find 2GB/s Download speeds somewhat pointless

Started by Blaze-Senpai, October 23, 2007, 02:50:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Blaze-Senpai

Say you're downloading a movie to your Hard Drive at that speed, Hard Drives can't write that fast anyway, so what would be the purpose?

Just a random thought I had in computer networking today, not much else in it.

ncba93ivyase

Your hard drive can't, but I'm sure it's useful for businesses or something.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Blaze-Senpai

Quote from: Lawlz on October 23, 2007, 02:52:31 PM
Your hard drive can't, but I'm sure it's useful for businesses or something.
Probably writing to maybe 3 or 4 at once yeah.

Daddy

Flash memory is the future.  Soon there will be no more harddrives, and we will be using internal flash drives.  They are much faster, lack moving parts so they won't break down, and have other benefits.

Blaze-Senpai

Quote from: JMV290 on October 23, 2007, 05:05:24 PM
Flash memory is the future.  Soon there will be no more harddrives, and we will be using internal flash drives.  They are much faster, lack moving parts so they won't break down, and have other benefits.
Flash Cards have slower Write speeds :(

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: JMV290 on October 23, 2007, 05:05:24 PM
I've had a flash drive short out. They're not perfect either. It's going to be a long time before flash memory can really be considered "perfected" and able to replace hard drives.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Daddy

Blaze-Senpai

Kingoftherings

It writes it to RAM, then it writes to the hard drive.  At least I think thats how it works.   psyduck;

I dunno, my friend gets like ridiculous 5mb/s downloads, and I'm stuck with barely reaching 150kb/s.  :(

Blaze-Senpai

Quote from: Kingoftherings on October 25, 2007, 05:07:51 PM
It writes it to RAM, then it writes to the hard drive.  At least I think thats how it works.   psyduck;

I dunno, my friend gets like ridiculous 5mb/s downloads, and I'm stuck with barely reaching 150kb/s.  :(
AT this rate, we won't have enough RAM to keep up with download speeds..

Or not.

Daddy

Oh, I just remembered too. 2Gb/s is two Gigabits per second, which comes out to be 250 Megabytes per second, SATA and PCI harddives can handle that.

Blaze-Senpai

Quote from: JMV290 on October 25, 2007, 06:31:50 PM
Oh, I just remembered too. 2Gb/s is two Gigabits per second, which comes out to be 250 Megabytes per second, SATA and PCI harddives can handle that.
I didn't say Gb, I said GB, capital B, meaning bytes, not bits.

Daddy

Quote from: Blaziken Prince on October 26, 2007, 09:39:38 PM
Do you have a link to the article?   16Gb/s is something that I've never heard of.

Kingoftherings

Quote from: Blaziken Prince on October 26, 2007, 09:39:38 PM
It would be GiB for Gigabit.

Quote from: JMV290 on October 25, 2007, 06:31:50 PM
PCI is only like 33mb/s.   psyduck;

Feynman

You're worrying about this right now? Shut up and just enjoy your current connection. psyduck;

Go Up