March 28, 2024, 05:50:05 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Deniers

Started by Daddy, July 28, 2007, 02:44:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

There are many people who deny things which have been proven to exist; whether it is the Holocaust or global warming there are people who deny the existence.

We have NeoNazis and other antisemites who deny that the holocaust never happened and is completely made up for some ludicrous reason(for example, in the middle east there are some who claim it was made up to justify the founding of Israel).  Do you think these people really believe this bullshit or do you think they just want to pretend it's true so they have some goal to accomplish?

There are also those people who deny the existence of Global warming.   Some of these people are scientists who are paid by oil companies to deny it, while others are uberconservatives who deny it for some unknown reason.    As with the holocaust deniers do you believe these people really believe what they are saying?

j o e i n c

Short answer? Y

Long answer? Yes.

guff

There's also a few flat-Earthers and some geocentrists left.

Some claim to have proof that the gas chambers never existed, such as Fred Leuchter, due to chemical analysis of the walls of purported gas chambers.  His specific claim can be explained by the fact that the lab which conducted the analysis had no idea what the sample was of, so performed a generic test on it.  However, this involved crushing the samples, and seeing as how cyanide does not penetrate very deeply at all, the results were not invalidated.  Even then, the test was conducted almost fifty years after the chamber had been used, and tests shortly after the conclusion of WWII did find substantial amounts in the ventilation systems.
This, and most others like it, is simply a case of attempting to find facts in order to support an existing belief or prejudice.

Very few actually deny global warming.  The issue that the controversy stems from is whether or not the current trend is anthropogenic.  Most of the evidence is really just correlation implying causation, and there are a few anomalies that need to be explained (e.g. CO2 levels during an ice age a while back being around 14 times those of the present).
Not every scientist that argues against the consensus is necessarily in the pockets of Big Oil, Big Deforesting, etc. etc., and quite a bit of the general public is just plain skeptical about any doomsday scenarios that scientists babble on about (consensus or no), given the failure of such predictions in the past (not to mention ignorance, i.e. "Man, it's pretty cold today.  I'm pretty sure global warming must be bull.").
so ya i could see someone truly believing it

Go Up