April 16, 2024, 01:29:23 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Alternative fuels?

Started by anus, July 27, 2007, 09:53:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

anus

With the U.S.A and other countries depending heavily on oil, but with the fear of destroying the environment, what do you think could be a goo alternative fuel?

Before you say corn based Ethanol, consider this:

-Ethanol gets 30% miles less to the gallon than gasoline
-It's more expensive to produce
-It breaks down, so it has to be trucked
-In balance, it doesn't help that much.
-In order for it to be produced, since you have to grow corn, you'd have to depend on the soil, weather, and other factors to grow a lot of corn successfully.
-The prices of a lot of stuff, including soda, fruits and vegetables, beef, poultry, pork, eggs, milk, diapers, and even more stuff that involves corn.

I'd think the best option hydrogen thing (I forgot it's exact name), since it involves combining water and oxygen and the reaction would power the car. I know it's a terrible explanation, but it's something like that.
dicks

Claquesous

Isn't hydrogen very flammable? I wouldn't want to be in a car when it sparks or something. It could work though. But I  still stand by solar powered cars. The way of the future.

Kalahari Inkantation

Also, we'd need three times more farms to grow enough corn to make ethanol for every car in the US.
They have air-powered cars. Let's hope that those become the future. flower;

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Claquesous on July 27, 2007, 10:05:02 PM
Isn't hydrogen very flammable? I wouldn't want to be in a car when it sparks or something. It could work though. But I  still stand by solar powered cars. The way of the future.
I believe it's the most explosive thingy-doodle in the world.

An efficient and effective method of solar power would by far be the best option to go with.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Daddy

Gasoline is also flammable.   The tanks holding the hydrogen are pretty sturdy.

Claquesous

Hydrogen is moreso, I think. You have a point though.

guff

Isn't hydrogen very flammable?
If it wasn't, it wouldn't be a very good fuel.  psyduck;

Snorkel

Hydrogen doesn't work, because the electricity that's needed for electrolysis (a process critical to creating hydrogen fuel cells) would still have to come from somewhere. The clean air problem would be helped, though.

I personally say we take wind-up cars to a whole new level.

Daddy

Quote from: Snorkel on July 28, 2007, 09:29:10 PM
Hydrogen doesn't work, because the electricity that's needed for electrolysis (a process critical to creating hydrogen fuel cells) would still have to come from somewhere. The clean air problem would be helped, though.

I personally say we take wind-up cars to a whole new level.
Stationary solar cells and wind powered generators can do that.

musica.cards

[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

YPrrrr

Look, all we need is a perpetual motion device and the problem is solved. Is that so hard?

Daddy

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on August 03, 2007, 09:08:57 AM
Look, all we need is a perpetual motion device and the problem is solved. Is that so hard?
Yes, there are some laws of thermodynamics.

guff

Quote from: Your Posting Rival on August 03, 2007, 09:08:57 AM
HELLO WE AM BE STEORN
LOOK WE'RE SERIOUS ABOUT THIS WE PROMISE IT WORKS
IT JUST HAS SOME PROBLEMS WITH FRICTION AND NOT WORKING

YPrrrr

Quote from: JMV290 on August 03, 2007, 10:04:38 AM
Yes, there are some laws of thermodynamics.
That explains my C grade in Physics psyduck;

Daddy

Quote from: Commodore Guff on August 03, 2007, 10:15:37 AM
HELLO WE AM BE STEORN
LOOK WE'RE SERIOUS ABOUT THIS WE PROMISE IT WORKS
IT JUST HAS SOME PROBLEMS WITH FRICTION AND NOT WORKING
"It's the lighting in the room. =|

I swear it was working earlier."

Go Up